IGNORED

Ouya Games

With the Ouya hardware topic getting a bit crowded, I figure that there's room for an Ouya software thread. A place for coming games, wishlists, etc.

------------------------------------------

One of my main 'killer apps' is space combat which has been sorely lacking on consoles. I started looking into Vendetta Online, an MMORPG. I headed over to their forum and found what appears to be an admin post with a tiny bit of promise as far as Ouya when the topic of the hardware came up.

Our game is pretty well optimized for:

- Android (check)

- Tegra 3 devices (check)

- Joysticks (check)

So, no, I don't think "porting" to the OUYA (a name I have a hard time saying with a straight face) would be time consuming. There might be some time to do integration with their app-store or billing mechanics or whatever, if they have any.

But, I don't intend to spend time on it until there's a userbase (or some other business case).

Also, FYI, while Android has increased our player counts and revenue to a degree, the indirect effects through contracts with other companies (exclusivity agreements, demonstration cases, blah blah) has been quite helpful to us in terms of income. We are (still) doing better than ever.

Anyway, I now release you to your regularly scheduled debate.

I'd sure love to see a space combat trading game, even with the monthly fee.

Here's a look at it running on a Tegra 2 device, so there's every reason to believe that it would/could look better on Tegra 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoB3E7lvQE4

I'd like to see some original games that bring back gameplay elements from the 80s, and aren't goofy fad games.

They don't even need to be graphical powerhouses. They just need to not suck, and be better than free flash games.

• Like 2

I'm bringing an enhanced version of my Flash game Aqua Rhapsody to the system sometime after it's release. (link to the original game can be found in my signature.)

Here's two OUYA Forums you can follow to find out about future games:

http://www.ouyaforum.org/

http://www.ouyaforums.co.uk/forums/

Edited by Animan

Have the Ouya folks explained certain parts of how their console will work with regards to updates?

I wonder if there will ever be system updates, is there an Ouya Network who administrates that? Or will the console be sold like an old school machine with no further support after it hits store shelves?

And for an open-source machine designed with hacking in mind, I doubt I will ever purchase anything for is using my credit card. Piracy is destined to be its primary use.

Hackable machines are fine when it's a handheld but for a full console I have lingering questions.

However, I agree we all need more space shooters out there.

I couldn't have said it better:

Post #224 by Richard Kain

"The real measure for how influential software piracy will be on the Ouya is the digital distribution system they come up with. If it is easy, convenient, and affordable to use their digital distribution system, that will be enough to deter the vast majority of piracy. Services like Steam and iTunes are able to make money despite the proliferation of software and music distribution. (of questionable legitimacy) They do so by making their digital goods affordable, easy to acquire, and by providing additional services to improve the end-user experience.

The quality of the system that fuels the Ouya's distribution will be one of the biggest factors in determining whether it can gain mainstream traction, or if it will be a footnote in the history of video games, of interest only to hobbyists and collectors."

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27062.210

However, I agree we all need more space shooters out there.

MORE?

It's the most overdone genre, lol.

That's why my game takes place under water.

Space is overdone.

*points to the link to my game*

You're not the only one doing so. :P

But, I agree that some genres are being way overdone. It's always been a problem, though.

Pong = tons of Pong clones

Space Invaders = tons of space shooters

Pac-Man = tons of maze games

Street Fighter II = tons of fighting games

Doom = tons of FPS games

You get the idea.

Piracy is destined to be its primary use.

No doubt there will be some piracy, but how many people are really going to want to go through the hassle to save a few bucks? Android apps these days run mostly in the $1.50-5.00 range. I don't think I've ever met anybody cheap enough to do that.

I worry more about hacking for the purpose of cheating online. How's stopping that going to work? I guess it's up to each game to handle banning, or is the service itself going to try to keep them away from legitimate gamers?

No doubt there will be some piracy, but how many people are really going to want to go through the hassle to save a few bucks? Android apps these days run mostly in the $1.50-5.00 range. I don't think I've ever met anybody cheap enough to do that.

I worry more about hacking for the purpose of cheating online. How's stopping that going to work? I guess it's up to each game to handle banning, or is the service itself going to try to keep them away from legitimate gamers?

How about allowing hackers but have a designated place for it, that way they have a outlet, but if they leave that area and try cheating on the legit side they get the ban hammer. I guess it would highly depend on the developer and or Ouya network admins (if there is one). They say this system is for hackers, why not go full out.

Edited by madmax2069

I suppose this isn't new to mobile users and outwardly it's kind of lame, but for $2 I'd go for an android transet with layout creator. I like building things in games, so there's days of fun for me in there. I was actually looking at ps2 train sims a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_eBV5M3_EI&feature=plcp

I'm also seeing some pachinko apps, but they're not quite to the level I'd need them to be at to buy. If they looked half as good as the pinball games, I'd be all over them.

What, the hassle of copying a file to a folder? People go through more hassle just to use a 10c coupon to save on asparagus.

• Like 1

What, the hassle of copying a file to a folder? People go through more hassle just to use a 10c coupon to save on asparagus.

The hassle of finding it, and putting up with locations that host/link to those kinds of files. Not knowing what has been done to it, and loading it on a fairly expensive device anyway. I'd imagine that some of the more elaborate apps have ways to keep multiple copies of the same game from going online, so there's either living with, or disabling that. Possibly manual updates(?)

I was pretty surprised to read in the link above that $0.99 apps were being pirated. At that point I don't think the developers are actually losing money to piracy, because I can't imagine what would motivate somebody who pirates $0.99 games to actually purchase something. I wonder if they're mostly foreigners in the developing world.

Here's a piracy-related question.

Are android app stores tied to whatever kind of device you buy?

If I were to buy one of those chinese JXD handheld android game systems, would I have access to a proper app store from the device itself, or would I be stuck using another device (computer) to grab things from an app store and copy over? If I have to download to my computer, hook my android device up, and copy over anyway, it starts making more sense in terms of labor to just pirate a whole package full of apps at once than to buy them.

Also, is android piracy even easier than I'm thinking? Are there illigitimate 'app stores' that can be accessed by the device itself?

Edited by Reaperman

<p>

Here's a piracy-related question.

Are android app stores tied to whatever kind of device you buy?

If I were to buy one of those chinese JXD handheld android game systems, would I have access to a proper app store from the device itself, or would I be stuck using another device (computer) to grab things from an app store and copy over? If I have to download to my computer, hook my android device up, and copy over anyway, it starts making more sense in terms of labor to just pirate a whole package full of apps at once than to buy them.

Also, is android piracy even easier than I'm thinking? Are there illigitimate 'app stores' that can be accessed by the device itself?

There are some "app stores" that nearly any device can access. The most popular, though is the Google Play store, and devices have to basically be whitelisted (per model, not specific device) to be allowed to access it.

As for your illigitimate app stores... I have no idea. I haven't encountered any.

Edited by Rex Dart

1. Use bittorrent app (free legal download)

2. Use Android browser

3. Go to piratebay

4. Download apps

5. PROFIT!

I don't illegally download apps at all, because i support developers, but I'd imagine it's as simple as that.

There are some "app stores" that nearly any device can access. The most popular, though is the Google Play store, and devices have to basically be whitelisted (per model, not specific device) to be allowed to access it.

So I guess the leap I'm starting to make, is that on non-mainstream devices, I'd expect the rate of piracy to be near 100% since the main avenue for legitimate purchases isn't open to them. 3rd party app stores probably lack a lot of the products found at the main google one.

Also what is an app store? Just a website and optionally a handy widget for getting to it easier? Stupid questions, I know, but I've never handled an android/ios device.

So I guess the leap I'm starting to make, is that on non-mainstream devices, I'd expect the rate of piracy to be near 100% since the main avenue for legitimate purchases isn't open to them. 3rd party app stores probably lack a lot of the products found at the main google one.

Also what is an app store? Just a website and optionally a handy widget for getting to it easier? Stupid questions, I know, but I've never handled an android/ios device.

Well, that's why everybody is saying that the success of the Ouya comes down to the software distribution/app store (second to app/game selection, of course). You're right about app stores other than Google's being pretty lousy.

What is an app store? Best I can tell, it's a site or app that combines software searching & browsing with downloading, all in one location. Even better are stores that let you look at your list of installed software & see what has updates available. At least, that's my understanding. I've just had a Kindle since Christmas. :P

Regarding piracy... Piracy on Windows PCs is even easier than on Android, and It really doesn't seem to be an issue there.

You'll notice that the linked article says the bulk of PC gaming revenue is now derived through digital download services such as Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.

Back to the original topic... I'd love to see the return of split-screen gaming to the console, so I hope there will be Ouya games that go down this route. e.g. kart racing, fps, etc.

I'll also echo the sentiment that it would be nice to see some updated classic-style gaming.

Racing games are a pretty big interest for me, and I hope the Ouya controller features analog triggers for throttle/braking (I'd assume so). Here's a couple android racers that look interesting to me:

-Seems to have a fair selection of cars/tracks and looks like it leans at least a little toward sim racing.

Raging Thunder 2 Seems like a nice fast-paced arcade racer.

I'm still looking for good overhead racers. It seems like the ones I'm seeing are either too simple, or feature clumsy controls.

Wow, that forum sways heavily toward the 'inexperienced' gamer. I haven't looked at the others mentioned in this thread yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Human Element prequels:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/23/robert-bowling-on-backing-ouya-the-episodic-nature-of-human-ele/

I think these games will be (like Sam n Max or Monkey Island episodes)....but free. The full game Human Element will come later and that looks pretty interesting.

But I'm a sucker for Zombie apocalypses.