IGNORED

Pure Emulation?

JohnnyRockets

Just curious, how many people just do their gaming with "pure emulation"?

You know, computer only...

The option is kind of interesting, as you could have a big freak of a computer screen/HDTV and run ALL of your games from a dog of a computer (assuming no pirating is going on!)...

Anyone go about their gaming that way?

Thanks!

JR

Most of my gaming is on emulation of some sort. I mostly whip out my 2600, Genesis, SNES and NES only for debugging games. For each small change in a game I use PC based emulators. For entertainment and research I use portable devices like the Dingoo. If I get the time to play at home the Dingoo also has TV out and a wireless joystick.

One of my best investments was the Retrode. With it I was able to back up my entire Genesis and SNES library. I bought an adapter for 2600, GBA and N64 games but I've had no luck with those.

Edited by theloon

I had to do this four or five years ago when I was pretty broke and didn't have anything due to selling it all off. You've gotta do what you've gotta do! No shame in that. Even if it's not because of a financial reason, it's all about whatever makes you happy.

I'm just about 100% pure emulation, though have a ton of hardware and games. There used to be an argument for display or controller ('Look' and 'feel') issues. However, having HLSL support or NTSC video options in emulators, along with USB adapters for practically every controller for any system, makes the difference nearly impossible to tell.

Don't get me wrong, love having the cartridges and real systems. However, ColecoVision, Atari 7800 via MESS with HLSL effects is awesome. Stella relatively recently implementing Blargg's NTSC emulation, and other consoles like NES via Nestopia with NTSC video filter and Kega Fusion for Sega Genesis with NTSC filter, bsnes for SNES, ootake for Turbo Grafx 16,,,and the list goes on.

If a system emulator has video options that can produce the same looks of a CRT tube TV set, sound is spot on, an original controller connected via USB, then really what is the difference?

Right now I have an original Atari 2600 Controller, an original NES controller, a Saitek P880 (Very ergonomic with excellent D-Pad and 6-button layout), along with a HotRodSE Arcade Controller and a X-Arcade Trackball connected to my 'main' system.

Additional authentic controllers with aforementioned video-audio for the other systems is more than possible (I have adapters for the Sega Genesis and SNES controllers, along with all the actual controllers themselves), The real hardware is fantastic to own, but seriously, if video, audio, and controls are the same - It looks, sounds, feels and plays just like the real hardware, emulation is the way to go. The portability and practicality is unbeatable.

• Like 3

I've been playing with the idea of using a emulation to replace the consoles, getting the adapters for controllers, and having the computer hooked up to a CRT. So, basically I would be turning a computer into all the consoles and carts. But I would still keep my collection, add to it, and play the original hardware. I would just have the computer for convenience for the times I'm not in the mood to hook up a console and just want a quick game, maybe have a game room and run emulation in the living room, play on my laptop, or maybe use it for portability. I'm not exactly sure how I want to go about it. I do know that I don't plan on going pure emulation. It would feel like I'm abandoning the main purpose of emulation which is preservation. I just want it in addition to the original hardware. I want the best of both worlds.

It's hard to define what is pure. To me the controller is very important so as soon I get the blissbox I'm going to discover tg16 games with its controller.

Just got my BlissBox last month. Took him a little while to buiild it, as he had a few orders ahead of mine, and he does this part time, as he has a real job, but it was well worth the wait! I LOVE THIS THING!!! Well worth the money.

• Like 1

Because of space restrictions in my small condo, I have to use emulation almost exclusicly. I have a real Wii, PS3, PS2, 360, PS1, Dreamcast and a few others connected to the big screen, but I have a boatload of other systems in a storage locker. I have the BlissBox and a ton of real controllers from TG16, Genesis, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, N64, Atari Joysticks, Paddles, driving etc... I have no problems with emulation. I am using real controllers on an NEC MultiSych CRT, so my emulation experience is about as close as you can get without having the real hardware connected. I have no complaints. Even vectro games look reall good with the Super Bright setting enabled on the NEC. Life is good!! :)

• Like 1

Since I'm not allowed to have any consoles or shit taking up space I can only do emulation. Not that it's a bad thing; considering the amount of documentation I have amassed. All the scanned copies and crap. Look at the BYTE stuff alone. And all the books and magazines! Crazy!

For entertainment and research I use portable devices like the Dingoo. If I get the time to play at home the Dingoo also has TV out and a wireless joystick.

I have the Dingoo 320A. They have a wireless joystick for this thing? Where? How? I want one!!!

No dice, dawg. You need an a-330 for wireless support And it has to be the Dingoo specific wireless joystick too.

Edited by theloon

I bought an adapter for 2600, GBA and N64 games but I've had no luck with those.

Did you ever get back to me about those? If you don't tell me that something is broken, I can't fix it, you know :) More information = better

No. I thought I'd be passive-aggressive and just smear your craftsmanship every chance I get. Much easier than asking for help!

Seriously, I've used your included 5v to 3v adapter. Double checked the orientation on the adapter. Cleaned the contacts on my Atari 2600 games. Updated the firmware on my Retrode. I've done everything I can think of. I guess maybe knowing what you consider the easiest 2600 cart to dump is would be helpful. Maybe I could confirm it works with a specific cart you recommend.

No. I thought I'd be passive-aggressive and just smear your craftsmanship every chance I get. Much easier than asking for help!

Fair enough, I agree my craftsmanship should finally get the smearing it so dearly deserves... :D

So you were only referring to 2600er games? Because as I wrote, proper firmware support for 2600 is still pending. In case you bought your adapter from my online store, I tested those on Pitfall and/or Moon Patrol before they were sent out. There is still a certain possibility that your adapter is simply broken, because the connector sitting on the edge was a veritable pain to solder.

How about GBA, N64?