IGNORED

making my av cable

DecapX3

recently decided make my own av cable and i found that the atari 2600 female port for the cartridges was what i needed i didnt wanna buy a 2600 or destroy one for that matter so i was able to find that same port on an old monitor 2000 otc electronic handheld car diagnostic machine so i wanted anyone that was trying to make av cables to know that you can get that cartridge slot out of these old scanners and they look great my design was crude "using solder and black electric tape " but my result was great audio and a perfect picture in comparison to the RF switch anyways wanted to pass along the info to anyone interested in or that is making av cables! :grin:

Sounds good, a great success for you. It is a joy to have superior quality video, especially over the RF, it is a world of difference and only gets better as you upgrade to S-video or RGB (then can convert RGB to component or VGA).

I'd never have thought there was a scanner out there with an edge connector that fit. But how much are the scanners? I ask becuase I've bought several edge connectors from Digi-key electronics that fit perfectly, for just a a few dollars, less than five anyway. I've hear Mouser electronics also carries them. you just have to look up female edge connectors with the proper pin numbers. I think they also have cases for the connectors (I used electrical tape and hot glue for my first two times, and the case from a Jaguar composite AV cable the third time). I don't understand using 2600's or anything else when the parts are available from major electronic houses. If the scanners are dirt cheap, or you find/already have one, then great. I'm also sorry to rain on your parade (of connector sources) if that's what I did. Just getting the facts out.

I would give the part number, but I can't read it with it fully (and permanently) assembled.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1