IGNORED

Is the 3D in the Nintendo 3DS worth it?

i am enjoying Flipnote Studio more on my DSi XL than i am enjoying the 3DS games that i have. i used to draw flipbooks as a kid and now i'm tapping into the past & loving it.

the online (DSiWare) store SUCKS though. no videos, not even a screenshot. even makes the one on the Wii look great. the store on the 3DS is MUCH better.

If you're debating between a DS XL versus 3DS... I'd go 3DS as it plays both games and the number of new DS games coming out will begin to dwindle.... 3ds games look much better than ds games even with the 3d effect turned off.

New Super Mario Bros 2 looks to be another fun romp through mushroom kingdom!

the Wii disproves your gimmick theory.

Actually, 3DS sales would support the gimmick theory.

The wii, despite having a severe dropoff recently, is one of the most successful consoles ever.

The difference as I see it is that the Wii controls enhance gameplay (in games designed for them) and make it easy for even novice players to control whereas the 3D in the 3DS can be distracting, headache inducing, or not even work properly. The 3DS has a lot more in common with the virtual boy than the Wii.

Edited by AtariLeaf

The 3DS XL should be out next month here in the US. It am considering picking that one up. I already have the DSi XL and love it. I am wondering if the 3DS has the flip note software? Or any of the software that the DSi has? I would miss the picture distortions ability if it doesn't.

Thanks guys! Think I'll get the XL instead.

DSi XL or 3DS XL?

And you probably realize this, but they play different games. Don't buy one over the other solely on whether or not the 3D effect is worth "it". Mario Kart & Mario 3D Land are still good with the 3D effect turned off, and you can't play 'em on a DSi.

Yeah, I seem to be one of the few people who loves the 3D on the system. I find it non-gimmicky, and I definitely prefer playing the games in 3D.

But, really, the 3D shouldn't be the only reason you buy or don't buy the system. Even without the 3D, the 3DS is infinitely awesome.

I wonder if they'll release a version later on with more ram/ faster CPU, like the DSi. The 3DS takes so long to boot up...

I just leave the thing in Sleep Mode. I only turn the system off when it runs out of battery (which rarely happens since I charge it every night), or if the system crashes (with newer updates, that hardly ever happens).

Edited by Animan

For myself, I usually look at a game in 3D mode to see what its like, but the vast majority of the time I just turn the 3D off while actually playing the game. So far, the 3D in the games hasn't impressed me a whole lot as nothing I've played was more enjoyable or enhanced by the 3D effects being displayed. Probably Ocarina of Time was the best use of the 3D.

As for the video's that Nintendo releases, again I'm not very impressed as most of it is just some depth.

What ever happened to Nintendo's promise of releasing movies on cartridge for the 3DS? I thought for sure we'd see some 3D movie releases by now, but I'm heard or read nothing about cartridge based movies since the buildup to the launch of the system.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon