IGNORED

Replacement Power Supply for Atari 8XX gear

fibrewire

I wouldn't... The way Atari designed things each device is isolated from the 120vac with a transformer. When we interconnect our devices, we don't have to worry about ground loops and such, or how we connect commons. If you run more than one device on a single transformer, those isolations may be lost.

Yes, I know -- there are a thousand anecdotes about people doing what I would advise you not to do...

It's a matter of value/cost.

Bob

Each output is isolated and short-circuit protected, and each output is rated up to 1200mA - is that enough power?

http://www.stompin-g...s/sgpowerac.htm

1.2A @9VAC would be marginal for a 400/800 or any of the Atari FDD, probably fine for an 850. I blew the fuse in an OEM 400 15VA 9VAC(1.67A?) Atari power supply after I upgraded it with a Mosaic 64K board in 1982/83, I believe this upgrade board has 32 4116 ICs. This power supply also isn't recommended for use with the 810/1050/XF551 FDDs due to their power requirements for spinning the disk. Atari later stopped shipping the 15VA power supply with the 400, replacing it with the 31VA model. While the 3.4A of the 31VA supply may be more than required I would recommend a minimum of at least 2A. preferably 2.5A.