IGNORED

Advice on getting started

ahuffman

With D2k Arcade on the way, the time has finally come for me to get an Intellivision! However, I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could answer. Which model do you think I should get? I was thinking that the original would be the best option, but I am not sure. I am wanting to get the voice module eventually, and perhaps the ECS if that helps. How much would a good starter set cost? I would like to get about 5-10 good games to go along with D2k. I have made the mistake of only getting a couple of games for a new system before, and wound up losing interest fast. I am really looking forward to adding the Intellivision to my collection. Hopefully you guys can help me get off to a good start.

Thanks

Aaron

You have a great start with ordering the D2K.

As for the system, it's more a matter of preference than anything else in my opinion. I like the original model myself and would recommend that and most times you can get a voice module along with a unit at the same time. As to the ECS, I wouldn't make that a priority since there were only a handful of games that utilize the ECS (which, by the way, looks much better with the Intellivision II if you care about the aesthetics of your collection). The common games are fairly inexpensive and most times you can find a good deal on eBay for a lot of them (make sure that you get a Burgertime, no Intellivision collection is complete without that one!)

As to price, you can expect to pay somewhere around 50 to 100 for a nice unit with voice module and a handful of games on eBay. There's also some people here that may be willing to sell some stuff at reasonable prices as well.

If you're trying to choose which games to get to start out a good review site is out there

http://videogamecritic.net/intel.htm

I don't always agree with his reviews but generally as an indication of how fun a game its pretty good.

If you do opt to get a ECS, http://www.intellivision.us/ will be releasing Super NFL Football soon so get onto the mailing list if you want this title (Flinstones Keyboard Fun is also being released).

Edited by stc2009

With D2k Arcade on the way, the time has finally come for me to get an Intellivision! However, I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could answer. Which model do you think I should get? I was thinking that the original would be the best option, but I am not sure. I am wanting to get the voice module eventually, and perhaps the ECS if that helps. How much would a good starter set cost? I would like to get about 5-10 good games to go along with D2k. I have made the mistake of only getting a couple of games for a new system before, and wound up losing interest fast. I am really looking forward to adding the Intellivision to my collection. Hopefully you guys can help me get off to a good start.

Thanks

Aaron

pm sent

If you're trying to choose which games to get to start out a good review site is out there

http://videogamecritic.net/intel.htm

I don't always agree with his reviews but generally as an indication of how fun a game its pretty good.

If you do opt to get a ECS, http://www.intellivision.us/ will be releasing Super NFL Football soon so get onto the mailing list if you want this title (Flinstones Keyboard Fun is also being released).

Yeah I don't always agree with him either, but he does some good reviews for many systems.

Congrats on your very wise decision! :)

Where are you located? I'm pretty sure a couple of us could get you a good set up for a reasonable price and you'll be sure it works

Thanks, I am located near Kansas City, Kansas. I really appreciate the help everyone!

Welcome, Aaron. Good choice on the Intellivision.

I'm personally partial to the Tandyvision (Radio Shack). It's the prettiest with it's sexy dark skin and it's demure, yet inviting semblance :-)

If you're ever in or around the Saint Louis area, let me know. I have lots of common games I can hook you up with.

BTW, are you looking for cartridges only or complete in box games?

I have mostly loose carts in my collection, but I prefer complete games if they are not much more than the cart itself. I would love to go all CIB, but space is limited where I am living right now. I actually go to St. Louis quite a bit, I was just there for a wedding in mid July. I have a lot of family there.

Thanks

Aaron

Intellivision is addicting, I started my collection about 3 weeks ago and now i have intellivision ocd. Luckily many on here have intellivision ocd so were not alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I would give everyone an update. I got the intv lot last week and could not be happier so far. I have only had a chance to check out about a dozen of the 70+ games I got, but so far I am thrilled with what I am seeing. D2k is a masterpiece, Frogger is pretty good, and Burgertime is on par with the CV version I have. Unfortunately I will be out of the country until Labor day, but I am really looking forward to going back home and enjoying some more intellivision goodness. Thanks again to pimpmaul for hooking me up with a awesome package.

Aaron

• Like 1

I started playing my intv too. Im actually stuck in trying to get my coleco game to play on the intv2 the games were not suppose to be compatible with intv2 but somehow the game worked for a half hour then my screen turn green. now i want to figure out howi got it to work the first time. Well congrats on obtaining a nice lot. Enjoy your labor day weekend.

I figured I would give everyone an update. I got the intv lot last week and could not be happier so far. I have only had a chance to check out about a dozen of the 70+ games I got, but so far I am thrilled with what I am seeing. D2k is a masterpiece, Frogger is pretty good, and Burgertime is on par with the CV version I have. Unfortunately I will be out of the country until Labor day, but I am really looking forward to going back home and enjoying some more intellivision goodness. Thanks again to pimpmaul for hooking me up with a awesome package.

Aaron

glad u are enjoying the intv. when u get a chance to get an ecs game let us know how u like the ecs. also when u have more time to test, write us a review. love to hear a new persons thoughts on the intv

I started playing my intv too. Im actually stuck in trying to get my coleco game to play on the intv2 the games were not suppose to be compatible with intv2 but somehow the game worked for a half hour then my screen turn green. now i want to figure out howi got it to work the first time. Well congrats on obtaining a nice lot. Enjoy your labor day weekend.

That's strange. As far as I know the incompatibility between the Intellivision II and the Coleco games was in the way the copyright year was read during the "boot up" sequence. This means the cartridges would not load at all.

However, you say that it worked once, and then turned the screen green... that is very weird, since there shouldn't be anything "incompatible" beyond the point of turning on the machine...

-dZ.

Aaron

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal. I myself started by purchasing a lot on e-Bay that included the Master Component, Intellivoice, and about 50 games, most of which came CiB (though the boxes had some rather heavy age damage). It is a lot of fun!

Burgertime is very close to the arcade, it's fantastic. So is Pac-Man from AtariSoft.

Did you buy chance get Night Stalker in your pack? Try that one, it's really good.

I remember from when I was a kid a game called Loco-Motion, which was one of my favorites. I don't have it right now, but I recall it being addictive.

My all-time favorites must be Star Strike and Bee-suhventeeeen baaaaawmurr!

-dZ.