IGNORED

Which 2600 title has the best/most interesting attract mode

trent

Yars Revenge is amusingly odd: the screen color pattern changes at times to absolutely putrid hues, and your ship simply moves up and down for no reason, as the enemy ship fires a shot that goes through its shield and the wall and nails you. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Because the title screen is carefully crafted to look like that. In a real game, there would be too many objects to pull off that look without massive amounts of flicker.

In the title screen (below) the yellow mushrooms are all Player1. The Centipede is all Player0. There are never more than three mushrooms (equally spaced) on a horizontal line.

post-2641-0-31236700-1345775894_thumb.png

Most of the silver label era Atari games have pretty cool attract screens. Ms. Pac-Man, Joust, Battlezone, Dig-Dug, Centipede...to name a few

Agreed. When those arcade versions started coming out that were actually decent it really gave you a feeling back in the day that quality was stepping up. :)

And I'll put in another vote for Ms. Pacman. It was really the FIRST game that looked to me like it was trying to emulate an arcade attract screen. If anyone can think of an earlier one let me know.