IGNORED

wondering what would happen with a neo geo stick

stringfellow

If you are haccking that port so you can use other controllers keep in mind that not all games work with controllers plugged in there. I put NES controller ports on the back of my famicom and it was easy. The hard part (which I still haven't done it to cut the case to fit the ports in.

The idea is to use an hack an extension cable so I don't have to hack the Famicom. My Famicom is the rarer AV model with NES ports on the front, however NES accessory controllers will not work on the AV famicom. There is a simple mod available to add the Player 2 D3 and D4 lines to the second player controller port to make it compatible with the NES Zapper. I have already done this, which makes the AV Famicom compatible with the vast majority of US games that use accessory controllers. But Famicom games often use different registers than their NES counterparts. For example, the Famicom Arkanoid controller plugs into the expansion port like the Zapper but the pinout is different. The result is that a US Arkanoid controller won't work on a Famicom Arkanoid cart plugged into the NES with an adapter. Famicom P3 and P4 use the D1 inputs which the NES plugs don't have access to, whereas the Famicom hardwired controllers (or plug in controllers on the NES / AV Famicom) use the D0 inputs. My goal is to create an adapter by splicing a Neo Geo extension cable to a bunch of NES extension cables, to provide P3, P4, Zapper, and Arkanoid compatability with Famicom games. No vintage consoles or controllers will be harmed during the process.

• Like 1

Back on topic, the cables you need for custom 5200 / Famicom / NeoGeo projects can be found here:

http://www.tototek.c...&products_id=58

Wow, that's cheaper than the DB-15 cables I've been using for my 5200 projects. Does this have a similar issue where you need to cut off parts of the female end so you can plug it into the 5200?

Back on topic, the cables you need for custom 5200 / Famicom / NeoGeo projects can be found here:

Very reasonable - thanks

But still at $13 a cable (with shipping) I'm going to try and go with a cheaper option like this:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3009058063371?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300905806337&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

DON'T DO IT! The Famicom, 5200, and Neo-Geo used totally incompatible pinouts, as mentioned in the diagrams above. If a switch contact happens to close across VCC and GND, your console will be fried. :skull:

Speaking of which, i've got an AV famicom and I need some Neo Geo extension cables to hack adapters for the expansion port. I already internally wired the AV Famicom for zapper support, but I'm planning at some point on building an Arkanoid controller for the NES, and I'll need to create a custom adapter cable for the Arkanoid controller since the Famicom version uses different input registers compared to the NES, making the games incompatible. While I'm at it, I'll add in a port for player 3 & player 4 / zapper.

Sorry for bumping this and sorry for posting a link to an eBay auction but I discovered this Famicom to NES Y Adapter being sold from a source in Venezuela. I found the link from the discussion about O'Shea's former operations in the 2600 section of the forum. And I found this thread by searching Google as to whether the Famicom and 5200 ports were truly compatible… I have no idea if this is a good deal or not at $15. I also found an older discussion thread on here in the 7800 section of one of the board's users having installed NES ports on his 7800 instead of modding NES controllers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Cable-Adapter-Controller-Converter-For-Famicom-Sharp-Twin-Famicom-AV-/111228606050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e5bdd662

Sorry for bumping this and sorry for posting a link to an eBay auction but I discovered this Famicom to NES Y Adapter being sold from a source in Venezuela. I found the link from the discussion about O'Shea's former operations in the 2600 section of the forum. And I found this thread by searching Google as to whether the Famicom and 5200 ports were truly compatible… I have no idea if this is a good deal or not at $15. I also found an older discussion thread on here in the 7800 section of one of the board's users having installed NES ports on his 7800 instead of modding NES controllers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Cable-Adapter-Controller-Converter-For-Famicom-Sharp-Twin-Famicom-AV-/111228606050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e5bdd662

Nice cable for Famicom to allow NES controllers, but not for use on Atari 5200. Atari 5200 controller are analog, not digital - like the NES/Famicom

The "Y" adapter allows NES controllers to work as auxiliary Famicom controllers. These work as an extra set of players 1 & 2 in most Famicom games, and act as players 3 & 4 in 4-player games. On some US games the auxiliary Famicom controllers may not work at all They are definitely incompatible with Four Score games. Most people add zapper support for player 2 controller on homemade adapters. I have no idea if the Venezuelan adapters have the zapper pins wired or not. I already modded my A/V Famicom for US Zapper support by running two jumper wires to the player 2 port. The A/V Famicom NES ports leave the peripheral controller pins unconnected.

I own a Venezuelan adapter that lets me play Famicom on my NES. It was clearly designed for clone use as there is no lockout chip inside the adapter but the lockout on my NES is disabled anyway so it doesn't matter.

• Like 1