IGNORED

Will 600XL/800XL power supply work on 400?

auto_cran

I just picked up an Atari 400 with no power supply.

I do have an Atari 600XL and an 800XL. Will the power supply on those work on with the 400? I also have an extra power supply for my Atari 2600jr - will that work for the 400?

Thanks!

Chris

(auto_cran)

No. 400 requires a 9 V AC with a different plug from XLs. XL\XE ps is +5V DC.

Edited by russg

Thanks guys. I just pulled out the XLs and saw that the plugs are very different from the 400.

I do have the Atari 1050 drive - and the plug looks the same as that for the 400. Am I safe to use that?

Very curious to see if this 400 will fire up - but I don't want to ruin it my using a wrong voltage PS.

thanks!

Chris

Thanks for all the tips. I used the 1050 PS and sure enough the little 400 powered up (and sounds from the keys can be heard). Pluged it into an old tv and got the memo pad screen so it seems to work (although the video cord is frayed where it comes out of the bottom of the machine - I take it this is common?).

Also - this is off topic - but is there anyway to hook up the 400 to a monitor that takes an RCA plug? I used to hook up my XLs to DIN (round) plugs and then to Commodore monitors that take RCA plugs. It would be nice if I could use that same monitor for the 400 rather than a TV.

Also - this is off topic - but is there anyway to hook up the 400 to a monitor that takes an RCA plug? I used to hook up my XLs to DIN (round) plugs and then to Commodore monitors that take RCA plugs. It would be nice if I could use that same monitor for the 400 rather than a TV.

I did some quick research - looks like I would have to hack it to get the 400 to use a monitor. Looks like I'll be using that old TV!