IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2012 - Status

skr

Alright,

checked my personal masterdisks and they are both ok (no errors), checked the Abbuc disk (Sondermag 46) and it is also ok and has no errors - but alas, the ATR images which Sascha provided for download do have Error 164 on some files:

- Side 1: Error 164 on the files Laura.PGF and Otaview.TXT which both belong to the OTA-Viewer; this is not a big problem, the Ota-viewer works without these files...

-Side 2: Error 164 on the files Ridreal.COM and Ridreal.TXT which is a serious problem; the game file cannot be fixed with Diskfix.COM or a similar fixing tool; thus download the game from Matosimi`s site...

Regarding the DOS: I am working with this DOS on real A8 floppies (1050 and XF551) almost every day and it does not cause any problems here. It is just a patched version of Turbo DOS 2.1 XF, i.e. the speeder for XF551 got removed so now it always checks the density on any drive. Since I work with real Ataris and real floppies most of the time, I have not found a problem regarding this DOS.

Attached you can find a similar DOS version (without speeder but also without density check; changing density on XF551 will therefore give the usual errors or bugs), maybe this one works better and can be a replacement, if not, sorry. I also attached a small video which shows the booting process of my ASC 2012 masterdisk side A under Atari 800 Win:

DOS boots (the one that you don`t like and always checks the density), then TB XL boots (instead of the TB XL title you see "ASC2012" displayed on the screen; but its still TB XL, I simply added another title), then the TB XL menu is shown in Gr.1+16; everything was recorded under Atari 800 Win with Basic off, SIO patch off, H: emulation off, RS232 off, emulation speed 100%, etc. XL/XE OS, PAL, 1088k RAM, etc. these are my standard settings under Atari 800 Win...

Hopefully Sascha will provide error-164-free ATR images soon...

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

tdos21.zip

dosxle.zip

boot_asc2012_side_a.zip

Hi fellow Atari friends,

(I'm writing on my own account, as ABBUC member, not as an ABBUC official)

publishing the software of the 2012 ABBUC Software contest on AtariAge or any public website is not good, it is breaking the contract between the authors and ABBUC and is against the rules of the contest.

The rules of the contest state that ABBUC has the rights to publish the software as part of the ABBUC magazine, the members-only part of the ABBUC website, and only to ABBUC members. The authors retain their publishing rights and can publish the software in whatever form they like (even commercial) after the software contest is closed (end of october).

publishing the software disk here hurts the contest, and hurts the ABBUC members who spend their money on the competition prices. It also hurts the authors that have prepared their publishing "event" (some do extra webpages etc). By publishing here control is taken away from them to publish the software the way they like and intended.

My call to the posters @ AtariAge and the forum moderators is to remove the disk images from the forum until the software contest is closed and the original authors give their permission to publish the software.

For everyone who has already downloaded the disk images: please refrain from re-publishing the disk image. If you already did, please consider removing it.

There will probably a discussion on this years ABBUC annual meeting on how to prevent this issues again. However as all members can vote there, there is a danger that the ABBUC software contest will be discontinued if many members feel that the contest (and their money) has been misused.

All the best

Carsten

Edited by cas
  • Like 6

Hi fellow Atari friends,

(I'm writing on my own account, as ABBUC member, not as an ABBUC official)

publishing the software of the 2012 ABBUC Software contest on AtariAge or any public website is not good, it is breaking the contract between the authors and ABBUC and is against the rules of the contest.

The rules of the contest state that ABBUC has the rights to publish the software as part of the ABBUC magazine, the members-only part of the ABBUC website, and only to ABBUC members. The authors retain their publishing rights and can publish the software in whatever form they like (even commercial) after the software contest is closed (end of october).

publishing the software disk here hurts the contest, and hurts the ABBUC members who spend their money on the competition prices. It also hurts the authors that have prepared their publishing "event" (some do extra webpages etc). By publishing here control is taken away from them to publish the software the way they like and intended.

My call to the posters @ AtariAge and the forum moderators is to remove the disk images from the forum until the software contest is closed and the original authors give their permission to publish the software.

For everyone who has already downloaded the disk images: please refrain from re-publishing the disk image. If you already did, please consider removing it.

There will probably a discussion on this years ABBUC annual meeting on how to prevent this issues again. However as all members can vote there, there is a danger that the ABBUC software contest will be discontinued if many members feel that the contest (and their money) has been misused.

All the best

Carsten

Hi, i completely agree with you about software releasing procedure.

I was VERY surprised when I saw ABBUC disks here free to download 2 weeks earlier than they should be.

But they are already released so I don't see any reason to take them off and then on again later.

I dont think it ruins competition, but it questions attractiveness of ABBUC membership.

And I'm also disappointed that my game is corrupted on these pre-published disks.

• Like 1

Hi,

I want to point out that we should not blame anyone working activly on the Software Contest about errors made. As I pointed out in the discussion on the hardware contest, organizing the contest is a LOT of work that is done by volunteers during their (spare) free time. Publishing the disk was done with good intentions.

We need to communicate the spirit of the ABBUC contests more clearly. The "rules" document is brief, and that is intentionally. It should be clear without being a lengthly document with a lot of legalese text.

-- Carsten

• Like 1

Don't shoot me... but for some reason there was no game this year that thrilled me. I love the artwork, and I really appreciate all the (huge amount!) of time some people spent on their games. So it is not my intention to hurt someone feelings. But I want also to be honest. No winner for me this year. The fun I have had with yoomp, jewel bitz, ocean detox, animal party... I don't find this in the current contributions... but perhaps I simply do not understand the games enough. Anyone?

• Like 1

Don't shoot me... but for some reason there was no game this year that thrilled me. I love the artwork, and I really appreciate all the (huge amount!) of time some people spent on their games. So it is not my intention to hurt someone feelings. But I want also to be honest. No winner for me this year. The fun I have had with yoomp, jewel bitz, ocean detox, animal party... I don't find this in the current contributions... but perhaps I simply do not understand the games enough. Anyone?

I have my prefered candidate for the combo, but I also understand your concerning.

A game is more than the sum of all parts.... that's what "Ocean Detox" made outstanding.

It has all to fit together.

Actually, the game that I played the longest time from the current Magazine Package was/is Line Runner.

The hardest part of a game is still the gameplay itself. And , if a game plays like a "broom in the back" of the protagonist, the game isn't fun.

Having just 2 pixels for a 5 pixel animation, the fun also ends, when dropping by some pixel exact movement.

I was VERY surprised when I saw ABBUC disks here free to download 2 weeks earlier than they should be.

But they are already released so I don't see any reason to take them off and then on again later.

Hi Matosimi,

I was not requesting that the disk you released in a different thread being removed, only the ones in this thread. Because they shouldn't be there.

-- Carsten

checked my personal masterdisks and they are both ok (no errors), checked the Abbuc disk (Sondermag 46) and it is also ok and has no errors - but alas, the ATR images which Sascha provided for download do have Error 164 on some files:

- Side 1: Error 164 on the files Laura.PGF and Otaview.TXT which both belong to the OTA-Viewer; this is not a big problem, the Ota-viewer works without these files...

-Side 2: Error 164 on the files Ridreal.COM and Ridreal.TXT which is a serious problem; the game file cannot be fixed with Diskfix.COM or a similar fixing tool; thus download the game from Matosimi`s site...

I checked my floppy disks (I created the images and emailed them to Sascha and the ABBUC webmaster team) and it looks like something went wrong in writing these disks (not sure if other ABBUC members / disks are affected, too):

side 1 contains zeroes starting at sector 975 - this is in the middle of EXPORTED.PGF. LAURA.PGF and OTAVIEW.TXT, following afterwards, are completely blank.

side 2 contains garbage starting at sector 769 (affecting parts of RIDREAL.COM and all of RIDREAL.TXT). Looks like the remainder of some memory tester or something like that, 256 bytes of $a0, then 256 bytes $a1, $a2, ...

@andreas, could you maybe send images of your master disks to ABBUC?

so long,

Hias

I think Callisto has good gameplay and very nice gfx's. But why such a great tune in the INTRO screen and none during game? I remember R-Type with nice music and honest... shooting games with a background music are so much more fun. I love the tune in the intro screen. I'd say: no music in intro screen and put the music during the game. I think then Callisto is definately a winner.

Hello Carsten,

there are no ATR images for downloads here in this topic, so there is nothing there that could be removed. Read post nr. 76 by Sacha Kriegel himself and you see that he gives a download-link to his site skriegel.de. Read also what he wrote there (contest/voting is open for everyone, not only members, etc.)...

Thus, it is Sascha who must remove the downloads from his site...

-Andreas Koch.

And err,

if its not clear enough, the attachments in my post 101 above do NOT contain any software of the Abbuc software contest. They only contain a) Turbo-DOS 2.1 , b) DOS XLE and c) a video (*.AVI) showing that my ATR image with DOS (side a) boots fine under Atari 800 Win. Thats all, no Abbuc Software there from my side... -Andreas Koch.

I think Callisto has good gameplay and very nice gfx's. But why such a great tune in the INTRO screen and none during game?

The two main reasons were memory and CPU overhead. There wasn't much RAM left after the unrolled code and oddly formatted data needed for the sprite engine and when i tried to run a tune during the game early in development the RMT driver, about 200 scanlines of splitter code for the sprite engine and status bar and my less than perfect multiplexer sort would end up duking it out for resources, leading to frame skips where the sprites disappeared and shudders in the scrolling.

Is there any chance a lighter music play routine could do the trick, with another music format?

Btw. I want to say something again about the Abbuc contest this year. First I wrote that there was not really a winner for me, but I was wrong. Callisto is by far my absolute favorite game. I can't quit now... I really miss a 'continue' feature... but on the other hand: now I keep playing and playing. It is really a nice and very good game. Nice work!

Is there any chance a lighter music play routine could do the trick, with another music format?

Well, in theory yes although it'd need to be significantly shorter than anything i've seen to date; i haven't checked the remaining time for a while to know how much more space is actually available but the sound effect driver is only taking six scanlines at full tilt.

Btw. I want to say something again about the Abbuc contest this year. First I wrote that there was not really a winner for me, but I was wrong. Callisto is by far my absolute favorite game. I can't quit now...

[Curtsey =-]

Are we ok to vote by email until the date of the abbuc meeting on the 27th?

Been playing the games :)

Ridiculous Reality - excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , just needs a level skip/password feature for us real hardware players.

Keep on Koastin' (BAS) what can I say, pretty good for 4K (the idea was neat so I might develop this into a bigger game in TB perhaps) :D

Callisto - awesome graphics; stage 2 is unbelievable :thumbsup: perhaps have a more obvious explosion of ship (sound), perhaps a tidier title screen would be nice ;) This is sure to be a High Score Club favourite. How many levels are there? (no tune in game is fine with me!)

Voyager (BAS) - nice little game but I beat it with 'admiral class 1' on my 1st go :ponder: do the starbases and planets do anything apart from block your movement?

Har 'em - Hope there's more improvements to come on this sounds etc ;) How many levels?

OTA Nokia Viewer - also supports some other file types, clever but not sure I would have a use for it :ponder:

Caterpillar (TBAS) - still need to play this with others but if it's half the fun of Killer Cycle it's sure to please. A 4 player simultaneous paddles game :cool:

Asteroids Emulator - wow! Asteroids was one of the first (perhaps the first) arcade machine I saw aged about 8 in the local shopping centre... slows down a lot with many asteriod bits but really atmospheric :thumbsup: (you need to search and download the asteriods R2 MAME rom files, append an R to the start of the filenames and put them on a DOS2.5 disk along with the ASTEMU.COM file) [or just download the ATR from fandal ;) ]

MazezaM - nice locic game but again might need a level skip/password feature, need to play this some more.

Couldn't find a pause on either shooter - if this is missed to improve game speed then fair enough - perhaps a pause between levels or something in game would be an alternative?

Keep up the great support for the 8-bit Atari folks :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-45380000-1350512549_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

Callisto - awesome graphics; stage 2 is unbelievable :thumbsup: would perhaps have more obvious explosion of ship (sound), perhaps a tidier title screen would be nice ;) This is sure to be a High Score Club favourite. How many levels are there?

Four in total, each slightly longer than the previous.

Couldn't find a pause on either shooter - if this is missed to improve game speed then fair enough - perhaps a pause between levels or something in game would be an alternative?

The pause mode in Callisto was down on the "fix before release" list but i didn't get enough time to write the code to maintain the multiplexer cleanly.

• Like 1

Har 'em - Hope there's more improvements to come on this sounds etc ;) How many levels?

What you can expect (in some weeks hopefully):

- Slightly updated bkg gfx.

- Fullscreen pic (almost done :) )

- RMT music in Title screen. (Done since weeks, however, the inclusion of teh RMT player does not work. I get this!)

- Enemy waves that actually make sense. I mean, you can not even get the 3rd Pulse-stage and two lasers are really close togeteher :)

- I am planning 2 levels. Maybe a 3rd where I just throw everything at you. So if you do not have a stage 3 shot you die pretty quick :P

like shooters on other systems: You can plow easyly thru them when you have an expanded shot. If you die and loose the shot you have chance for survival. Except you are Stefan Dorndorf :P

Remember, this was never intended to be the ultimate shooter. It was my first try. Only purpose was to paticipate and make it hard for "some lame BASIC game" to get any money.

I will release a version around the end of the month. I will not work on it much longer. Spending until January 2012 to bring MJO in a state I am content with led to the lack of time for a bigger project for the contest 2012. As mentioned had a cool idea, but this is scrapped already. Have an even cooler now in my head which I want to get started with ;)

That is not to say I will work a bit more on the current shooter engine. Would be a shame.

Oh, I hope to include the option to switch between sfx and msx in game. However, no new music just the one from teh title, as I have not enough memopry left for anotehr RMT module :(

Pause feature... Why not. Should be doable.

• Like 2

I like Callisto still the most. It's fabulous.

Although I would like to startover from level 2, or level 3 or level 4 (I Love that greenish level 4!)

And... why not features like extra ship at 30000 points?

The game is incredible. It is amazing how fabulous the GFX are. The gameplay is very good too. It is not just fire and win. You really have to remember what is the right place to fly to prevent being hit.

It's a keeper this game.

Last year we agreed that it would be better, when we do not talk about the releases before the voting. So not to manipulate the result.

for reference:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/187062-abbuc-software-contest/?do=findComment&comment=2369733

This year, everybody is just blubbering away without even asking. :(

To be clear, I am NOT saying this, because HAR'em gets no comments. Didn't expected it to get much love.

Honestly, when you can win this competition with 6 weeks of work, it would be a shame :)

OK, on the other side, how many ABBUC members who vote for the compo read in AA anyhow ;)

An interesting idea would be a Vote/Poll on this forum AFTER the ABBUC competition is over.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Creature XL