IGNORED

Gamebase now supports the A8

carmel_andrews

Carmel, might be nice to at least credit Hardnman (Mark) for this excellent GB, there's also an update due before Xmas for this.

I had a little input into this GB as well, I converted all the bas files I could to run as ATR's before Avery added BAS file support :(

To anyone who's into their 8bit this is an excellent experience, Mark has put so much work into this, music, indvidual OS support as needed, maps, solutions and much more..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I apologize for the total off-topic but, just by chance, is there a way to download the complete c64 games database? They provide this link: http://gamebase64.ha...asht.com/games/ and one has to download one by one.

- Y -

The best way is via Torrent as said, you can use a download all type thing in Firefox BUT its very slow and the guy may not like you maxing his bandwidth. If you choose torrent then you will find it on www.undergroundgamer.com.

Its a very busy site and you may have to try a few times before they take on a new member or you can ask if anyone will give you an 'invite'.

IF you do go this way then make sure its V9 you get and I suggest making sure you seed the download afterwards, ie download it and then leave it running so others like yourself can get it as well, without seeders NO ONE gets it.

Happy downloading, its HUGE...(but excellent)

Sadly not been put up on usenet...

• Like 2

Credit to Hardman (whoso ever he may be) and the polish person known as Dax (whoso ever he may be)

Me thinks they may be regulars of said gamebase forum (but that is just a guess)

I did download the c64 gamebase file once (just the games) it was over 500 megs if i recall, can't remember where i got the linky from (and it wasn't a torrent)

Credit to Hardman (whoso ever he may be) and the polish person known as Dax (whoso ever he may be)

Me thinks they may be regulars of said gamebase forum (but that is just a guess)

Yes we are...Many of us give regular input into various GB's and the posting of them, for the most part the GB's turn into a group thing, everyone does a little bit.

http://www.gb64.com/forum/index.php

I did download the c64 gamebase file once (just the games) it was over 500 megs if i recall, can't remember where i got the linky from (and it wasn't a torrent)

The full GB64 for version 9 is over 8gig, the games are 760MB

I think most of that 8gigs is just window dressing, i.e gfx files (like box art/instructions etc in pdf) sound files (like sid's, basically snippets of the sound tracks from various gamez) and probably inbuilt gb64 text files (i.e game descriptions etc)

Wouldn't surprise me if the a8 collection turned out to be something like 3-400 megs just the games and the maj. of the 2 gigs taken up like the c64 gb is taken up with (not that there's anything wrong with that ofcourse, but i would'nt mind seeing an actual a8 games collection totalling 2 gigs

But that's the point of a gamebase, its an archive of info and media related to the game you want to play, there's almost zero point in downloading any gamebase if you are not interested in the extra's. Apart from the fact a well done gamebase will setup the game to load with the right configuration into the emulator for you its no real advantage over just playing the game via the emu.

Great. I tried to make such a gamebase myselve in Visual Basic 2.0.

I made a menu-system that had a nice screenshot of the Atari game, and when you clicked it, it loaded the emujlator with the correct settings., Sadly a virus killed my program. and since then i didnt have time to re-progam it again.

Happy i am, that somebody else already made a gamebase.

I know how much time it costs to make such a large gamebase for the Atari 8bit

\

Mucho respect and honour to the guys who made this possible.

Domo agregatto !

But that's the point of a gamebase, its an archive of info and media related to the game you want to play, there's almost zero point in downloading any gamebase if you are not interested in the extra's. Apart from the fact a well done gamebase will setup the game to load with the right configuration into the emulator for you its no real advantage over just playing the game via the emu.

I've just found out who you are, though i admit that it did take me until i nabbed that last part file from the atari 8bit gamebase (you are the famous or otherwise Mr Irvine)Didn't you once write into L.A.C.E (London Atari computer enthusiasts), since someone with the same name (who is better known as 'spite' of A.U.R.A (A fairly well known a8 crack/hacking crew or group in uk) wrote into LACE and the letter was read outSlightly disappointed though that the original uploader of A8 gamebase neglected or forgot to include the gamebase executable with the a8 romset, after all he bothered to include all the executables support files like the db and scripts etc (as well as icons)I noticed though that gamebase A8 'cheated' slightly by including the entire homesoft gamedisk set of 388 binary file menu's, along with the individual game files (as atrs) which sort of means that gamebase sort of supports nearly or all a8 games or edutainment programs on the a8 ever release

I've just found out who you are, though i admit that it did take me until i nabbed that last part file from the atari 8bit gamebase (you are the famous or otherwise Mr Irvine)

Didn't you once write into L.A.C.E (London Atari computer enthusiasts), since someone with the same name (who is better known as 'spite' of A.U.R.A (A fairly well known a8 crack/hacking crew or group in uk) wrote into LACE and the letter was read out

Slightly disappointed though that the original uploader of A8 gamebase neglected or forgot to include the gamebase executable with the a8 romset, after all he bothered to include all the executables support files like the db and scripts etc (as well as icons)

I noticed though that gamebase A8 'cheated' slightly by including the entire homesoft gamedisk set of 388 binary file menu's, along with the individual game files (as atrs) which sort of means that gamebase sort of supports nearly or all a8 games or edutainment programs on the a8 ever released

Had to post it twice since this site or forum has issues with IE7 (since it messed up my first post)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I'll answer this in a weird manner...

Gamebase has to be installed, you can't just add the exe, it needs certain dll's & OCX's registered, its possible to sort of run it without by starting it with GBregrun.exe but if needed VB's are not already installed it will die.

Also one of the big Torrent people do not allow the inclusion of the emulators..

And now for the bit re me, although I am John (Paul) Irvine and I've been in a cracking group in the old days and written for a few magazines I'm not this Spite or whoever you think I am. As for LACE, never heard of it till now..

I have no clue who this person is or was, this also highlights one of the problems with the internet, its very easy to write incorrect data about people that others may take as gospel. I've written for Atari User, Games trade Monthly and a few other minor people, I was a mate of one of your mates, Noel Daniel who, I met because I reviewed Sidewinder for Atari User, I knew another of your mates, John of his now defunct Computer House (I won't go into detail, he knows why) and I knew a great many of the UK based folks in the scene but not this spite bloke with my surname.

Just thought I'd clear that up..

I find the additional material is great for discovering games that I'd never encountered before. I've had collections of floppy images for years, but never even looked as some of the titles since all I've had to go on is a filename, though I always took it for granted that "pushypig.sux" probably did. :)

With Gamebase, I get photos of the gameplay, and where available instructions, historical info, magazine ads, maps (great seeing all the info provided for the Alternate Reality series).

@carmel_andrews; It would be a mistake to include the Gamebase executable with each collection. The whole point is each collection is like a plug-in or database that can be easily added to any existing, and up to date, Gamebase installation.

The Atari ST Gamebase is quite good, too, and helped me track down a few games by screenshot that I couldn't remember the name of.

Never having used Gamebase before, I am having an issue. I have installed the gamebase front end, and downloaded the Atari gamebase, but can't figure how to import it into the Gamebase program. It is looking for a .Dat file that I don't see in the Atari gamebase download.

Put the Atari 800XL folder inside your Gamebase folder and everything should automatically be located when you load the frontend.

On the flip side of that, I finished the c64 download and it seems that ithas to have all the paths setup manually, and download the separate emulators, which kind of put me off the whole thing, probably going to just delete the whole thing.

I copied the ATari 800 XL folder to the gamebase folder, and i can start the frontend. A bit of tweaking and indeed, MANUALLY editing the path setup for a lot.... I now can view photos, covers, read manuals, listen to the soundtrack....

but i still cant play games... wiewieiwiewa.

okay. relax. i continue to get it to work. It would be much easier to just have a ready to play frontend without any tweaks needed. anyhow, it looks cool.

update: i got it working. seemed some odd thing with the emulator setup. You need to use custom file extensions, etc. otherwise the OK button doesnt work..

PS : I am using the Gamebase frontend v1.3 (from 23 nov 2010)

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death