IGNORED

Is this a good time to get a Wii?

Unbeliever

I think we just missed eachothers point altogether. No harm. No ill feelings :)

Hey, I didn't mean to sound like I'm taking a shot at you, I'm not. :) I got what you're saying, now.

I turned my nose up at the original NES (for a little while) when it first came out, and then someone came to visit (house guest) and BOUGHT ONE (this must be about 1988-ish???) and I was FORCED to experience Super Mario Bros. Oh boy, was that an opinion-changer! Ever since then, I think of platform-jumping games, Nintendo, and Mario as all synonyms.

After all this time of ignoring the Wii, I returned to such thoughts. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is so much fun!

But I really have to stand back in AWE of the works of art that are Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. (I have all 3 of these games, now.)

I really can't believe the quality and the sheer off-the-charts creativity that have gone into these games. The "Galaxy" games look so damn good, I forget that they're "standard" def. Good grief, even with an inferior (graphically, compared to the competition) system, Nintendo just kicks the CRAP out of everybody else with platform-jumping games, PERIOD. The Galaxy games are absolute works of art! They (and N.S.M.B.) make the system worth owning, even if those were the only games ever bought. (Well, the system is a bit cheaper now than when it came out, but still, it's great).

I guess you guys who have owned these games for years must be laughing at my enthusiasm for yesterday's games. But I got them cheap, off eBay, and even got the guides (these games are so large and complicated I thought I might need them) for cheap!

If anybody has waited (like I) to get a Wii, you MUST check out these titles. I'd never played until I got this stuff (2-3 weeks ago, and only had time to play a couple of times). I'm very pleased to see that Nintendo still does best what they have for so long. I'm wondering what they'll come up with on the Wii U? I can't imagine them adding anything more innovative (you tell me, what's missing from Super Mario Galaxy?????) but just HD graphics and re-arranged stuff. We'll see. I guess I'll see, in about 6 years!

Hey, I didn't mean to sound like I'm taking a shot at you, I'm not. :) I got what you're saying, now.

I guess you guys who have owned these games for years must be laughing at my enthusiasm for yesterday's games. But I got them cheap, off eBay, and even got the guides (these games are so large and complicated I thought I might need them) for cheap!

Nothing wrong with being excited about newer/older stuff. I had gone years without a Wii so a lot of the games feel (and are) brand new to me. I played SMB Galaxy 2 via Gamefly (still a bit too rich for my blood to buy) but it's an incredible game. Even after a lot of experience with the PS360, the graphics still knocked my socks off. I never cared for New Super Mario Wii the first time I played it but I picked up another copy a few weeks ago and really got into it. I'm embarrassed to say that I find the game pretty hard :P. It's been a lot of years since I cursed at a game but this has caused a few F words to fly. I feel like a kid again lol.

If you like platformers, definitely check out Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country Returns. The only word I can use to describe Rayman is beautiful. It's a beautiful game from top to bottom, and not just in terms of graphics. Donkey Kong is easily one of the most challenging games I've ever played, hands down. This is old-school, NES hard and you'd definitely get your money's worth.

Edited by xg4bx

Good luck finding a complete Mario 25th edition for $60. They seem to be going for $100-$125. But even $100 or so is a good deal (has Wii Sports and the new Super Mario Bros. game), and it surely will go up in value as a collector piece. The games alone in the 25th edition are worth $50 and are good games. So getting one in the $80-$100 range will be a good value.

If you like Netflix and don't already own a media device like a Roku, Apple TV, then the Wii can be used for that purpose instead of dropping $50-$100 on a media player. Just update the firmware and download the free Netflix app from the Wii store. Use component connections instead of the composite ones. The Wiimote makes a good media remote.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI: Five Below stores are selling 3rd party Gamecube controllers for $5, for those with older Wii's.

El cheapo controllers usually are terrible -- just delayed enough to screw up your game play and take the fun out of it. Gamestop and EB has original Nintendo controllers for $15 (pre-owned). I wonder if Nintendo still makes GameCube controllers? If not, someone will be refurbishing GC controllers for resale.

El cheapo controllers usually are terrible -- just delayed enough to screw up your game play and take the fun out of it. Gamestop and EB has original Nintendo controllers for $15 (pre-owned). I wonder if Nintendo still makes GameCube controllers? If not, someone will be refurbishing GC controllers for resale.

These Nintendo Gamecube controllers are awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-White-Classic-Gamecube-Controller/dp/B0017KIBAI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354037613&sr=8-6&keywords=gamecube+controller

Have to be careful about sellers though. Often they will list it as an 'official' Nintendo controller and it's not.

When it comes to Nintendo I only by official stuff. It costs extra but its worth it.

I am still gradually working my way through Super Mario Galaxy and have the second one waiting once I am done. I too love this game--it's really so much fun!

The second is definitely the better game, with less of the really frustrating platforming that crept up every-so-often in the original.

• 2 weeks later...

since you're new to xbox/kinect, if you want a good resource, check out http://www.123kinect.com. there's a good messageboard there as well.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely new to the kinect thing, and motion-controlled games in general. Being watched by the wife as I jumped around made me feel a bit self-conscious, however. lol :grin:

Wii games are not going away. They will still sell them in stores, well at least the top selling titles anyhow. It don't matter a whole lot because you will be able to get whetever you want online regardless. They probably wont be making to many more wii games unless the demand is there. Odds are they have enough already made to last awhile and they will eventually clearance them out when the other consoles take over full force.

I can still go in and buy ds games even though the 3ds has been out awhile.

The local Walmart completely removed all Wii titles from their display case and only has a couple discount titles sitting out. I'm guessing once they are gone that store won't carry Wii titles anymore. The same store had PS2 titles up to a very short time ago. Come to think of it, I think they have a couple PS2 titles still on the discount shelves.

They did have quite a bit of Wii stuff until the Wii U arrived. It's a rural area and maybe they just don't move a high enough volume so they stock balanced them to other stores.

<edit>

BTW, I thought about getting a Wii just for the Gamecube compatibility. I think I waited too long.

Edited by JamesD

I'm sure we have a few more rounds of Nintendo Selects rereleases during 2012 to look forward to at the very least.

Some big names have yet to be included in the program like Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Wii Sports Resort.

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with being excited about newer/older stuff. I had gone years without a Wii so a lot of the games feel (and are) brand new to me. I played SMB Galaxy 2 via Gamefly (still a bit too rich for my blood to buy) but it's an incredible game. Even after a lot of experience with the PS360, the graphics still knocked my socks off. I never cared for New Super Mario Wii the first time I played it but I picked up another copy a few weeks ago and really got into it. I'm embarrassed to say that I find the game pretty hard :P. It's been a lot of years since I cursed at a game but this has caused a few F words to fly. I feel like a kid again lol.

If you like platformers, definitely check out Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country Returns. The only word I can use to describe Rayman is beautiful. It's a beautiful game from top to bottom, and not just in terms of graphics. Donkey Kong is easily one of the most challenging games I've ever played, hands down. This is old-school, NES hard and you'd definitely get your money's worth.

Heck I have gone through the same thing. I completely ignored Xbox 360 and FPS games because they confuse me, but then I got the very bashed Perfect Dark Zero for $2 at Gamestop and I'm failing to see why it was considered so bad. I actually like the arrows that show you where to go because I tend to get lost in FPS games. Usually I stick to RPGs which are a bit easier for me to navigate, even in first person.

With all the PS3, 360 and Wii games that I left setting there for over a year I keep asking myself why I didn't play this yet when firing one up. It makes me want to divide my gaming in half and play old games half the week and newer games the other half of the week.

Heck I have gone through the same thing. I completely ignored Xbox 360 and FPS games because they confuse me, but then I got the very bashed Perfect Dark Zero for $2 at Gamestop and I'm failing to see why it was considered so bad.

It's not. I think people just forgot about it once games like Gears of War, Halo, and the COD series took hold. It was pretty well regarded on launch day, and still holds up well IMO today. It has some neat effects that were experimented with that you don't see a lot of in modern 360 releases.

I had fun with it playing the campaign in coop (Although I've actually not earned a single achievement points... something I need to rectify someday). It's a decent game but it doesn't even come close to its predecessor.

Heck I have gone through the same thing. I completely ignored Xbox 360 and FPS games because they confuse me, but then I got the very bashed Perfect Dark Zero for $2 at Gamestop and I'm failing to see why it was considered so bad. I actually like the arrows that show you where to go because I tend to get lost in FPS games.

Play it without the arrows like you would've done in something like the original Perfect Dark.

Then I think you'll see that this is actually one of those confusing FPS's where it's difficult to figure out where to go next and that the arrows are just a late concession implemented in a last ditch effort to make the game more enjoyable when they recognized that.

I'm glad they're there since the game needs them, but they shouldn't have to be needed.

Edited by Atariboy