IGNORED

PAL Intellivision 1 with issues - advice please

Hi Folks,

So I'm a newbie both to this forum and to the Intellivision so go easy on me.

I've just scored 5 intellivisions which were sold as faulty. Actually all 5 work to some degree but... a number of them don't always fire up first time (it may take anything from 1-10 attempts). The screen flickers just enough to say there was surge but then blank.

Ok so I know a bit about other systems and I've cleaned the games, cleaned the connector, cleaned and check the switch, checked the power board. I then for resons I can't think of I decided that once the power was on - hit the reset switch. Boom! Working! What's more it never fails.

My question is why? And what ever has gone wrong to stop the normal power up from working and is it easily fixable. I really want to get these up and running, keep a couple for myself, and, to be honest sell the rest to fund the purchase of more games and other parts of my vast and ever expanding collection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

im not an electrician, but intellivision didnt always have the best quality control. so if that pattern works with oit fault then keep note of it and if you sell it, then make sure they know. .i have several intellivoice devices and if you put the cartridge in all the way it wont work. if dont put the cartridge in all the way it turns on. same thing with coleco games, supposebly they dont work on intv 2, but for some reason i can get them to work on intv 2 if i insert the cartridge a certain way.

I would say this is not a fault, EvilDoc. More often than not you will have to press reset after power up to get the title screen to display.....that's been my experience with Inty 1s anyway. I don't know about later versions though.

More a design shortcoming than a fault....remember it *is* from the late 70s/early 80s.

Thanks for your replies fellas!

No, I fully appreciate that this is old tech and I'm well aware of the foyballs that come with it. Maybe sometime I'll list my collection but for now I'll just stick to this topic.

Actually I am still tinkering to try to see if it is something that can be resolved and I have started to recap one of the machines. I figured at the very least this would help to preserve the machine for a few more years to come. I've done the power board with no success and the pal modulation board, still no joy, so it's onto to the motherboard next. I had kinda pinned my hopes on it being something to do with the PAL modulation and wondered if any one in the US has similar issues as this would narrow the angles a bit so's to speak, (or perhaps lead me down a dead end).

Anyway on to the main board next and I will report back if there are any changes or not.