IGNORED

Thoughts on a game case for classic (pre-NES) carts

Pixelboy

You should stick to your motto Made in the USA and do cases first for Atari 2600/7800/5200/Intellivision/Coleco, shambles otherwise.

Hehe, touche.

We probably wouldn't be doing cases specifically for the 5200, Intellivision, or Coleco. The 5200 is a bit of an oddball as well because the carts are so thick, would require thicker case which would raise the price. The only way we could do those is if we did some type of group buy and got enough money together to at least cover the initial cost, because I don't see them to be as commercially viable as most of the others on that list. If enough people were interested in something like this I would be willing to sell them to an initial group buy for almost wholesale cost. I mean technically some cases will also be able fit other systems in there as well, they just wouldn't be a snug fit most likely. Also, again, we do plan generic cases with possible foam inserts for the more oddball, less popular, or weird cart designs.

Remember part of the driving force behind the case priority is because most of those systems also have EverDrives associated with them. If it wasn't for that then the 2600/7800 would have been a little higher up the list.

Just an FYI as well, we will probably be dropping the price of the NES cases on black friday to what we expect their new price point to be when the next batch arrives. However, we do not have many left. I think less than 300 cases left. We assume these will all be sold out by the end of the day of Black Friday or even sooner. Hopefully the next batch arrive before the new year.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna throw this out there... custom cases for each system are a nice idea, but UGCs have their appeal in that one doesn't need to worry about having too many of one type of case and not enough of another. I'm not sure I'd stock up on SNES-only cases, but cases that fit both SNES and N64 would be worth buying in bulk.

IMHO only, of course.

Gonna throw this out there... custom cases for each system are a nice idea, but UGCs have their appeal in that one doesn't need to worry about having too many of one type of case and not enough of another. I'm not sure I'd stock up on SNES-only cases, but cases that fit both SNES and N64 would be worth buying in bulk.

IMHO only, of course.

I somewhat disagree, sure that might be the appeal to some people. However IMO the UGC have their appeal because they are cheap and they are really the only option. If you have ever used a UGC they are hardly "universal" and they are poor quality. They only hold SNES carts half way decently IMO. All other carts are held in place poorly. So poorly that there isn't an EverDrive that uses the UGC that we don't have to modify in some way to keep the cart from floppy around.

We actually do plan on making cases that fit different systems, but we aren't going to force it. If we don't think there's an elegant way of doing it we won't.

• Like 1

You need to remember that manuals for these games on the same systems are not even the same size. In this case you would have to design the cases around the brands. The cartridges can often be different sizes too. I doubt an Intellivision cart or Atari 8-bit computer cart would be very compatible floating around in an Atari 2600 case. They are much smaller. Likewise, Odyssey 2 carts have that handle sticking out. Atari 5200 carts are too wide, VIC-20 carts are really wide or really long depending on which way you turn them. And forget about manuals for big box style 8-bit computer games. Some were re-released in smaller boxes but I don't think all of them were.

PS: a Game Boy/ Game Boy Color Everdrive? Now I'm stoked. That old 64MB smart card is unreliable. The battery in mine died and some Game Boy Color games would not work on Game Boy Player when they would work on Game Boy Advance.

Edited by TheGameCollector

• 3 months later...

I somewhat disagree, sure that might be the appeal to some people. However IMO the UGC have their appeal because they are cheap and they are really the only option. If you have ever used a UGC they are hardly "universal" and they are poor quality. They only hold SNES carts half way decently IMO. All other carts are held in place poorly. So poorly that there isn't an EverDrive that uses the UGC that we don't have to modify in some way to keep the cart from floppy around.

We actually do plan on making cases that fit different systems, but we aren't going to force it. If we don't think there's an elegant way of doing it we won't.

The longer I weigh my options, the more I kind of agree with you now. Just sayin'.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...