IGNORED

Thoughts on a game case for classic (pre-NES) carts

Pixelboy

Cool; I appreciate it. You can use the return addy on the shipping label, if you still have it, or I can PM ya my addy.

Shipping label...? I never bought anything from you. Heck, before I started this thread, I wasn't even aware of your very existence! ;) So send me a PM with your address whenever you're ready.

How many different games came on Xonox-type carts? I could make a seprate case for those, or combine it with the Jaguar&5200 Case.

There weren't many. If I remember correctly, the Atari 2600 double-enders were mostly the same in terms of cart dimensions as the ColecoVision double-enders. I could send you a CV double-ender, but I would need it back once you're done with it. Atari 2600 double-enders are more common, so I'm sure you can get one without too much effort.

That would let me orient the Inty Carts vertically, and move the cart locking tabs to the sides of the carts.

I could then make the Cups at the ends of the 2600/7800 and inty Carts a bit deeper, to allow for a greater variation in Cart Height.

I'll also add some gaps in the cups, so they'll be more flexable, and won't snap off, or scuff up the carts. (This'll require some testing).

You should try to acquire some different Intellivision carts, just to get a precise idea of the differences between publishers: Some from Mattel (i.e. first-party), some from Coleco, some from Imagic, etc. Then perhaps you can come up with a format where all the different cart casing variations fit. I don't have any Intellivision carts to offer, but I'm sure someone else on these boards could loan (or even donate) some.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here is a photo of my entire 2600 Game Collection:

Seymor_Onion_2600_Collection_9_10_2012_A.png

Here is a photo that condenses the Cart Variations (that I have) into only 8 types:

Seymor_Onion_2600_Collection_9_10_2012_B.png

I only have a standard ruler at hand, so my measurements might be off by about +/- 0.5 mm.

I do have a Jaguar Game Cart, and an Atari Lynx Game Cart/Card (not pictured).

I don't currently own any games for the ColecoVision System, IntelliVision System, or the Atari 5200 System.

The earliest I can go by the local game shops, and pick up other Vintage Game Cart Variants, is Friday, September 21'st.

In the meantime, more recommendations for Game Carts are welcome. ;)

Here's a question for Homebrewers.

Do you use non-standard shaped Cart Shells to house your Game PCBs?

If yes, then I'll need those dimensions too. ;-)

This applies to all game systems, not just Atari/Intelli/Coleco.

Edited by SeymorOnion

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here is a photo of my entire 2600 Game Collection:

Seymor_Onion_2600_Collection_9_10_2012_A.png

Here is a photo that condenses the Cart Variations (that I have) into only 8 types:

Seymor_Onion_2600_Collection_9_10_2012_B.png

I only have a standard ruler at hand, so my measurements might be off by about +/- 0.5 mm.

I do have a Jaguar Game Cart, and an Atari Lynx Game Cart/Card (not pictured).

I don't currently own any games for the ColecoVision System, IntelliVision System, or the Atari 5200 System.

The earliest I can go by the local game shops, and pick up other Vintage Game Cart Variants, is Friday, September 21'st.

In the meantime, more recommendations for Game Carts are welcome. ;)

a) You images aren't showing.

b) Please check your PM inbox, I sent you a PM recently.

Here's a question for Homebrewers.

Do you use non-standard shaped Cart Shells to house your Game PCBs?

If yes, then I'll need those dimensions too. ;-)

This applies to all game systems, not just Atari/Intelli/Coleco.

I can't speak for others, but I use standard Coleco shells, as well as Activision-style shells, for my ColecoVision homebrew releases.

I'm not sure why the images aren't showing for ya; They appear fine to me, both at the Warehouse and my APT.

Here are direct links to them:

http://www.seymoroni...9_10_2012_A.png

http://www.seymoroni...9_10_2012_B.png

Thanks for the info in the PMs. ;)

That's weird, now that I'm home and looking at your posts above with Internet Explorer (instead of Firefox at the office), the images are showing fine. Go figure... :)

Anyhow, I believe you're missing a few Atari 2600 cart formats (like the Xonox double-enders, for example), but luckily, you can find images of them all in the rarity database of AtariAge.

Also, next week-end, I'll be pulling out all my CIB ColecoVision games from storage - for a totally unrelated reason - so I'll write up a list of all ColecoVision cart formats (with measurements) for you at the same time.

For the Intellivision, I'm afraid you'll have to enlist the help of someone else, as I'm not really an Inty guy. :)

I agree that most would probably prefer loose carts or complete games, but it's still a pain in the ass stacking and storing either. I'd love a standard size case for pre-8/bit console carts. But I'd also want them to accomodate pad overlays in a way that would work even without a manual.

Assuming the Pad Overlays are flat, and they are not taller or wider than a SNES Game Manual (if some are, please let me know), you could put them in an acid-free envelope, before putting them in one of my Game Cases.

The envelope would essentially extend the height, allowing both Manual Tabs to get a good grip on it, so it wouldn't slide around, and prevent the tabs from getting hung on any of the holes in the Pad Overlays.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you don't want the Pad Overlay to come into contact with the Manual Tabs at all, you can glue an envelope to a piece of Cardstock. ;)

The glue should be a thin line along the middle vertical area where the envelope will go, so that the envelope itself can expand a bit, to allow easy insertion and removal of the Pad Overlays.

Edited by SeymorOnion

I can say I think the market for these is pretty small. Loose cart collectors generally don't care much about condition, anyway. The standard rental type NES cases also fit SNES and N64 games. That's what I used to use. You can also cram two Genesis of Famicom games into a single NES case! My Atari carts also fit, but the NES case is way too big and Atari games tend to clunk around inside them a lot. For the record, Universal Media Cases R Sofa King HUGE! I've already stopped using the clamshell NES cases anyway, becase the loose carts take only a fraction of the space of a game case, and my collection has grown much larger than the supply of cases I have originally had on hand. Most of my carts are loose and not very minty. The most efficient way that I have found for storing game carts is to buy shallow shelving to place on the walls and stack the carts on the shelves similar to how they do at rental stores. With the exception of N64, most NTSC game carts including Atari show some form of label ID so that you can pinpoint a game in a stack.

Disc games I usually insist on keeping in their original cases.

I'm really liking this thread, and will likely be purchasing several cases when they are ready. One question though. Have you considered making cases for the Atari 8-bit computer games?

I haven't consitered making cases for them yet, but will, if you can provide some links to pictures and/or more info about the ones you are interested in seeing cases for.

My knowledge of Game Carts that pre-date the 8-bit NES is rather limited, but I'm happy to expand it.

I can say I think the market for these is pretty small. Loose cart collectors generally don't care much about condition, anyway. The standard rental type NES cases also fit SNES and N64 games. That's what I used to use. You can also cram two Genesis of Famicom games into a single NES case! My Atari carts also fit, but the NES case is way too big and Atari games tend to clunk around inside them a lot. For the record, Universal Media Cases R Sofa King HUGE! I've already stopped using the clamshell NES cases anyway, becase the loose carts take only a fraction of the space of a game case, and my collection has grown much larger than the supply of cases I have originally had on hand. Most of my carts are loose and not very minty. The most efficient way that I have found for storing game carts is to buy shallow shelving to place on the walls and stack the carts on the shelves similar to how they do at rental stores. With the exception of N64, most NTSC game carts including Atari show some form of label ID so that you can pinpoint a game in a stack.

Disc games I usually insist on keeping in their original cases.

I need to gather as much info as I can about all of the Cart Types that are out there, for all systems, that can fit in a Game Case, that is roughly the same size as a UGC, along with it's manual.

This is because the mold I am going to have made will have modular pieces on the inside, that will determine the positioning of the Manual Tabs, Cart Walls, and Cart Tabs.

Doing it this way lowers initial costs; instead of buying multiple molds for 10-20 thousand dollars each; I would only need to make one.

I have already designed 9 diffrent Game Cases, that fit said parameters.

I also have a number of other Game Case Designs that will require their own mold, such as Handheld Games, HuCards, and SegaCD/Saturn Games.

How much are the "NES Cases" you mentioned, and where can I buy them?

I am aware of the Universal Game Cases sold by mediashelving.com.

There are a number of Game Carts that won't fit inside of them, without modification.

They aren't too kind to, and don't fully support, certain Game Manuals.

They are difficult to obtain by many people who live in countries outside of the USA.

They only sell them in bundles of 100.

I don't mind, at all, if the market for some of my Game Case Variations is small.

There is the possibility that, given enough time, that will change.

Even if it doesn't, keeping just enough in stock to cover the occasional order by individuals, as well as medium to large orders from Homebrewers, won't be a problem, since I'm going with a modular mold design.

Besides, I'm not in this to get rich; I'm doing it because of my love for gaming as a whole.

I don't have to pay any rent, or any leasing fees, for warehouse space, (I own the land it is on) and have no problem with any of my products "sitting on the shelves" for extended periods of time.

They are all being designed to be very rugged, and last for as long as is humanly possible.

I am a firm opponent of "Planned Obsolence".

I think he's talking about cases like these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1608801140341?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160880114034&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have a couple like those (which are empty as I'm not using them at the moment) but they don't have the Nintendo logo on them.

Thanks for the linkage. ~_^

I remember those, from back in the day.

They're pretty cool, and got the job done, but don't have an outer jacket.

I'm not sure if a manual can fit in them with the game cart...

Is anyone selling or making repros of them, or is availability limited to people selling off their old collections?

Thanks for the linkage. ~_^

I remember those, from back in the day.

They're pretty cool, and got the job done, but don't have an outer jacket.

I'm not sure if a manual can fit in them with the game cart...

NES manuals are half the size of NES carts, so I'd say they should fit in there just fine. ;)

Is anyone selling or making repros of them, or is availability limited to people selling off their old collections?

Not really sure, but I'd say no one's making new ones, mostly because most NES games come in black sleeves like these, which protect from dust adequately:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2610951008941?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261095100894&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The plastic NES cases were popular with video rental stores, back in the good 'ol days of the NES. The death of those stores today explains why those cases are a dime-a-dozen on eBay. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

Regarding the 8-bit computer cartridges, here are some images. Mine are all packed away in preparation for an upcoming move, so I can't give you dimensions. They are a bit smaller than the 2600 cartridges though. Also, there are a few different styles, similar to the 2600 cartridges.

http://vgcollect.com/item/16546

http://vgcollect.com/item/16550

Edit: This is a much better list, just click on the cart image icon to see pictures of the cartridges.

http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=800

Edited by tpugmire

I think he's talking about cases like these:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1608801140341?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160880114034&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have a couple like those (which are empty as I'm not using them at the moment) but they don't have the Nintendo logo on them.

Yup, those are the ones. Some of them have Nintendo logos on them, but most don't. Also a number of them are different colors, like blue or yellow or pink, but most of them are clear. Game-X-Change used to give them away for free back in 2002-2003 when I first started collecting.

• 3 months later...

Hey, guys!

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Game Case Designs,

Gathering together all of my Notes,

and hunting down any variant I'm missing, for the Type A Mold.

If you have any more Tips, Questions, or Suggestions, now's the time to post them!

I started a number of Threads, about the specific Cart Types I'm going to be working with:

ColecoVision & IntelliVision/IntelliVoice

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11874.0

Atari 5200

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11870.0

Atari 2600

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11869.0

Atari 7800 & Jaguar

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11871.0

Nintendo Carts

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11876.0

Sega Carts

http://www.thecoverp...p?topic=11875.0

Those threads contain Photographs and Specs of most of the Carts and Manuals

that I'll be using to design and test my New Game Cases.

I am still missing some Carts and Manuals; any additional help ya'll could provide is greatly appreciated.

As soon as I gather all of the necessary info and items, I'll finalize my designs, and meet with the Prototypers.

It should only take about a week or two to finish all the prep work, before I meet with them.

• 10 months later...

I'm giving this a bump because I'm getting a little more interested in casing my games. Has anyone come up with a UGC-style case for classic games, or something even in the ballpark?

I'm aware of the old official Atari "album" cases... neat idea, but not super practical.

We launched our own line of game cases in July. We are almost out of our first batch. We have ordered a second batch. Prices will go down quite a bit on the next batch. For example currently our 100-pack is $249.99. We hope that will drop around $179.99 once we get the next batch. Not close to as cheap as the UGC, but anyone who has purchased UGC lately knows that they have pretty much gone from bad to worse. The latches don't stay clipped very well anymore. Our cases are much higher quality and are made in the USA.

You can check them out here: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/nintendo/nes/nes-game-cases/

We plan on SNES/SFC and N64 cases early 2014. Here is our current list in order of priority:

So an idea of systems would want to do cases for (listed in order of our current priority, but open to suggestions):
1. NES (already done)
2. SNES (next)
3. SFC (next)
4. N64 (next)
5. TG-16/PCE
6. GB/GBC
7. Atari 2600/7800
8. Game Gear
9. Genesis/MD/32X
10. Generics
11. Master System
12. Famicom
We do understand that come of these can be combined, this is just a list in order of of priority. For more obscure or crazy cary shapes we plan on offering a small and large generic case that will come with pick-and-pluck foam or possibly pre-cut foam.

Well, one can buy gameboy game cases if one looks hard enough... But there aren't any suitable atari 2600 cases out there. That might be an argument for boosting its spot on the list.

Except that KRIKzz just announced a GB/GBC EverDrive. Part of the reason we developed our own cases was because we want to move away from UGC for EverDrives as well. We put the 2600/7800 higher just because there really are no options, even though its one of the few systems on the list without an EverDrive.

Don't be too fooled here. Just because its #7 doesn't mean it will be years before it comes out. We want all cases on that list to be done no later than Summer of 2015 (hopefully earlier). Most likely the Atari case will be out fall of next year, again maybe earlier. The more people that support BitBoxes the more capital and incentive we have to get them done quicker.

• Like 1

We launched our own line of game cases in July. We are almost out of our first batch. We have ordered a second batch. Prices will go down quite a bit on the next batch. For example currently our 100-pack is $249.99. We hope that will drop around $179.99 once we get the next batch. Not close to as cheap as the UGC, but anyone who has purchased UGC lately knows that they have pretty much gone from bad to worse. The latches don't stay clipped very well anymore. Our cases are much higher quality and are made in the USA.

You can check them out here: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/nintendo/nes/nes-game-cases/

We plan on SNES/SFC and N64 cases early 2014. Here is our current list in order of priority:

So an idea of systems would want to do cases for (listed in order of our current priority, but open to suggestions):
1. NES (already done)
2. SNES (next)
3. SFC (next)
4. N64 (next)
5. TG-16/PCE
6. GB/GBC
7. Atari 2600/7800
8. Game Gear
9. Genesis/MD/32X
10. Generics
11. Master System
12. Famicom
We do understand that come of these can be combined, this is just a list in order of of priority. For more obscure or crazy cary shapes we plan on offering a small and large generic case that will come with pick-and-pluck foam or possibly pre-cut foam.

You should stick to your motto Made in the USA and do cases first for Atari 2600/7800/5200/Intellivision/Coleco, shambles otherwise.