IGNORED

Fractal application(s) need.

Caterpiggle

Good morning Everyone,

Does anyone know where to find an application(s) that can do the job in real time maker of Fractal ? I am not speaking of "Still frame rate" as photo still but the actually zooming in the eternal state of Fractal. It is ALL Atari 8 bits included 800 (OS B version) if it is possible ?

- Atari user.

The complexity of doing fractals of reasonable size in realtime (30..60 FPS) has even been to high for PCs until recently. Only with modern GPUs which provide something like "1 processor per pixel" in their pixel shaders this has become possible. So if you think about a 6502 , 1 or 2 pixels would be possible per frame but I think that misses the purpose :-)

Everything that existed before was based on precalc, color cycling and pixel zooing.

Because Numen demo has the only 1 frame as photo. So I thought why not to have Fractals applications to make one on Atari 8 bits ? If you have seen this demo, "Numen" required 320K and you will see there ...

I have some of these generators here. The fastest is 'Fractal Express' where a single frame is a question of minutes not hours. (http://gury.atari8.i...ftware/1482.htm (download link seems to be broken)). Unfortunately the speed is in conjunction with low precision - entering deeper areas results in blocky images.

I encountered the first 'real time' mandelbrot generator on a Falcon030 thanks to the use of the DSP together with a small screen area...

Edited by Irgendwer

Is this what you are planning to do on little Atari: http://www.fddb.org/?shows=chaos-order-%E2%80%93-a-mathematic-symphony (watch trailer from 3:46 Min on)?

Would be cool. But Rocco did that show in 4096x4096 pixels and a highly dedicated render farm computed for months for it. One fine day we will do such thing in our planetarium dome in real time, but this is years away from now I guess. :(

Edited by skr

• 6 years later...

Thanks Kyle22 for your help. I was looking for ACTION! source.
Anyway: always interested in fractals and will habe a look at it.

Maybe I'll do some ACTION programming next winter :-.)

Also: To unArc your 2 files using ARC.TTP : I've seen my ST Gemulator working again since many years. It's still running on Win-10

Mike

• Like 1