IGNORED

Adam system value

JasonlikesINTV

Hi all, I normally collect for Intellivision, but I have an opportunity to pick up a loose, but working Adam system (console, printer, keyboard/controller).

What would be a good ballpark price to pay for this?

Also, I know that Colecovision consoles were pretty finicky, especially regarding video issues. Did Adam have similar issues, or were they pretty durable? Thanks!

For a loose ADAM Computer that is in good working and cosmetic condition, I would place a fair value at about $100. Having the original box and packing materials makes a big difference in price especially if they are al in good condition. If there are items missing such as all the different instructions manuals, included software and if there is discoloration on any of the components then you can reduce the price accordingly. Of course, seeing as this system you are considering has been tested and is working, you may have to pay a little bit more. Too many people just want to dump this old computing gear and won't spend the time to hook it up and properly test, let alone clean it up... which in the end costs them money.

One thing to be aware of is that there are two ADAM configurations available. There is the Stand-Alone ADAM Computer with a built-in ColecoVision and then there is the Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM Computer which requires a ColecoVision Game System to hook up to in order to make it operational.

While there were a lot of quality control issues at Coleco during the first couple months of the ADAM's release that led to numerous problems for end-users, there was also a lot of end-user error that caused just as many problems and led to people returning their systems and of course a lot of bad press. After making it through the growing pains that are sure to be experienced, Coleco really cleaned up their act, righted the ship and started to produce a very reliable computer as can be seen by how many ADAMs are still going strong almost 30 years later. The ADAM did not experience any of the better known ColecoVision problems (On/Off power switch, power supply transformer), but like any electronics that is this old, there are no guarantees.

Good Luck with the possible purchase.

For a loose ADAM Computer that is in good working and cosmetic condition, I would place a fair value at about $100. Having the original box and packing materials makes a big difference in price especially if they are al in good condition. If there are items missing such as all the different instructions manuals, included software and if there is discoloration on any of the components then you can reduce the price accordingly. Of course, seeing as this system you are considering has been tested and is working, you may have to pay a little bit more. Too many people just want to dump this old computing gear and won't spend the time to hook it up and properly test, let alone clean it up... which in the end costs them money.

One thing to be aware of is that there are two ADAM configurations available. There is the Stand-Alone ADAM Computer with a built-in ColecoVision and then there is the Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM Computer which requires a ColecoVision Game System to hook up to in order to make it operational.

While there were a lot of quality control issues at Coleco during the first couple months of the ADAM's release that led to numerous problems for end-users, there was also a lot of end-user error that caused just as many problems and led to people returning their systems and of course a lot of bad press. After making it through the growing pains that are sure to be experienced, Coleco really cleaned up their act, righted the ship and started to produce a very reliable computer as can be seen by how many ADAMs are still going strong almost 30 years later. The ADAM did not experience any of the better known ColecoVision problems (On/Off power switch, power supply transformer), but like any electronics that is this old, there are no guarantees.

Good Luck with the possible purchase.

Adam's are better than the Colecovision console in my opinion. They are tougher and come with a/v. You can dump the printer and get a power supply on here, and you are set for Colecovision games - recommended set-up.

Heck, you don't even have to throw out the printer; just take the power supply out of it and THEN throw out the rest of it. The power supply makes a good brick. and they are hardy.

Thanks for all of the info! I may be interested in ditching the printer at some point. What a poor design, making it the power supply :-(

BTW, I picked up the Adam stuff. I'll post some pics soon, but I think I did very well.....more to come :-)

Thanks for all of the info! I may be interested in ditching the printer at some point. What a poor design, making it the power supply :-(

BTW, I picked up the Adam stuff. I'll post some pics soon, but I think I did very well.....more to come :-)

So I ended up getting 2 Adams systems and a bunch of games and manuals all for $50. Haven't tested them yet, but seller said that both worked with exception that one of the printers would "hang up".

Assuming they work, I think I did pretty well. I'd say the games alone are worth at least $50. Thanks for all of the help. Here's some pics, enjoy!

Coleco Adam systems

Coleco Cassettes & Catalogs

Coleco Carts

Coleco Manuals