IGNORED

Ubuntu Screen Resolution Changes After Exiting Full-Screen Emulators

phaxda

I know this might be a question better asked on the Ubuntu forum and poking around there got me the answer that I needed (however inelegant), but why does every single emulator mess up my netbook's resolution when I run it in fullscreen and then exit? Sick of searching the web for answers and it's not like I am a complete dummy, but it just kind of annoying. Shouldn't they exit more gracefully?

Anyway, I have just been restoring the resolution using:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600

This works fine, of course (and yes, i made a "reso" alias so I don't have to remember the command every time), but it just seems odd that this happens. Is there a better way to restore the resolution each time I play?

The backstory on this is that I am preparing for a trip and commandeered my wife's old Toshiba NB205 to use as a spiffy emulation machine. It came with Windows Starter, so that's why I've gone Ubuntu on it and it runs great for the most part. It's just this one thing bugging me and I had this dream of letting my Dad play on it with the USB Atari sticks, but it will freak him out if the resolution goes weird on him. He is not a computer expert. But he does love Atari!

Any help from gurus appreciated.