IGNORED

Paperboy

sqoon

• 2 months later...

This man says he worked on Paperboy for the 7800 at Tiertex.

His Projects/History is listed like this: "Game projects:

Paperboy, Atari 7800, Megatwins, spectrum/Amstrad

Bonanza Brothers, spectrum/Amstrad, Desert Strike,

Sega gamegear Mercs, Sega master system Wolfenstien 3D, Sega mega drive."

While it does list 'Paperboy' and the 'Atari 7800', linking the two together would be the same as saying he worked on Bonanza Brothers for the spectrum/Amstrad. If the Atari 7800 and Paperboy listing were connected, it likely would be listed "Atari 7800 Paperboy", just like was done for the Sega Gamegear port of Mercs, "Sega gamegear Mercs". Looks like from the listing he had a hand in Paperboy and the Atari 7800 system, but not necessarily a link between the two as is definite with "Sega gamegear Mercs" or "Sega master system Wolfenstein 3D".

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 2

So, if he worked on it, where did it get to? Why was the game never finished and released?

I'm going to guess that it may have fallen into the same bucket as the other 7800 games in the Atari Games-Atari Corp license: cancelled, due to the 7800 dying. Many games that came out on the Lynx were planned for the 7800 but cancelled before release or during development. For example, Klax, Pit Fighter, Electrocop, Gauntlet, Toki etc.

• 1 year later...

only just picked up this post.

Referring to 'sqoons' response. I am 'this man' and I did write paperboy on the atari 7800. It was finished and working, looked great and was sent to atari and

never seen again.

Welcome to AtariAge, and thanks for signing up! You don't possibly still have the code, do you? A spare cart lying around?

• Like 2

I kept a lot of my stuff from tiertex and it should be in the attic.

No carts were ever made as far as I know.

The development kit was a cart emulator which was a PCB the size of an A5 sheet of paper. One end pushed into the 7800 cartridge slot and the other end connected to an atari ST through an rs232 cable. The ST software generated a ROM image which was downloaded to the PCB.

No promises I'll find anything but I'll look through what I have for the source code and I may have a binary ROM image file if any emulator people want to try to get it working again.

• Like 14

The development kit was a cart emulator which was a PCB the size of an A5 sheet of paper. One end pushed into the 7800 cartridge slot and the other end connected to an atari ST through an rs232 cable. The ST software generated a ROM image which was downloaded to the PCB.

Yes, I have one of those. :)

Mitch

• Like 1