IGNORED

Picked up two consoles today; one not working

Despina83

Picked up this lot at the flea market today:

53376040637887477837954.jpg

20 bucks. Did I make out okay? The only games are Pac-man and Combat. It sounded pretty decent to me since everything Atari that I ever see is so outrageously overpriced and I never find stuff in the wild. They were absolutely filthy but I cleaned them up the best I could. The Vader works nicely but I can't get the six switch to fire up-just a gray/black screen. The guy said someone dug them out of their attic and they "both worked the last time he tried them". Oh well, that's the risk you take I guess. From what I've read on here, I gather that a dark screen likely indicates a dead TIA chip? I would have no clue how to fix the thing.

Edited by Despina83

Your photos didn't make it through the posting process. $20 isn't bad for a working 2600 console. Consider the other one a bonus. If the non working one is a heavy sixer, it's definitely worth fixing. You can tell by comparing the lower front corners of both consoles--if they are the same shape, you have a Vader and a light sixer. If the six switch console's corners are more of a round shape with the sides vertical, then congratulations on acquiring a heavy sixer!

Huh, the photo's showing up for me...Sadly it's not a heavy sixer, I checked immediately. Nothing like a girl who can spot a heavy sixer "woody" to give a guy a woody, right? Just a little Atari humor. :-D But I'm glad to hear I didn't pay TOO much. I'm still going to use my 7800 as my main console, since it's the one we had in our house when I was a wee 'un. Nostalgia and all that. But I always wanted a Vader, so at least that works. The guy selling them was pretty clueless about them, he thought the "one with all the switches" was the newer system.