IGNORED

What have you learned/gained by playing video games?

Just curious to see your answears ;)

First that's my answear:

I earned some good moments and friends. Of course, I kept memories but I couldn't keep any friend. Actually I have a great friend I met when I was playing a game but it was a chess game in my school not video games.

I also keep playing with my brothers. It's a good thing to do after so many years! I think video games help us to be more close to each other. It's a great social gain, imo.

On the learning aspect, the most important to me was English. I didn't learn too much by playing but I didn't forget what I learned in my studies. Considering all math, physics etc. I was good at but forgot by not practicing, gaming was great for me.

• Like 1

I learned quite a lot from Sid Meiers Pirates in terms of history and geography. What the islands are called, who owned them, major cities, pirate names, basic navigation using a map and sextant--all kinds of borderline useful stuff.

Compare that to "educational" titles like Oregon Trail, where all I learned was that shooting things is fun, guns are all you need to survive, and getting rid of 'extra' family members makes trips a whole lot easier. I guess I also learned that Apple II's can be used as makeshift babysitters when teachers don't feel like teaching.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I have played video games my whole life. It has allowed me to develop freakish reflexes and hand-eye coordination, which have helped me in many real life situations. I have no proof, but I also believe it has improved my ability to think and problem solve from many angles. I could go on and on, but to put it simply, I think video games enrich your brain on many levels (not to mention make life more fun and interesting). This is why I find the whole "video games rot your brain" thing to be ironic and hilarious.

• Like 1

I learned how to punch hillbillies in the face, jump kick crocodiles, shoot down helicopters with a Jeep, and battle in the swamps with a pistol.

YEAHHHHHHHHHH VIOLENCE!!!!!!

I love Bayou Billy.

but yeah, I learned some good hand eye coordination, I learned some musical theory from listening to the music, I learned concepts that I've applied to making games, and I learned that Halo sucks.

• Like 1

Pattern recognition, hand-eye coordination, critical thinking, patience, and problem solving just to name a few. Playing classic arcade games has a way of teaching you to focus on many things at one time and act in advance of the challenge ahead that I find helps a lot in adult life.

In the more personal realm of things I have enjoyed playing games with many friends and family members. It is something my brother and I do together just like old times.

I have learned even more from the hobby. How to limit my spending and as a result budget better. I learned how to track what I spent on items and what I sold them for to make a profit when I could. I learned how to inventory my hardware and software and track the growth of my collection. There is a lot to learn from gaming, and even more if you take that to the next level and truely collect.

• Like 1

Video games help with reflexes and mental strength (problem solving and critical thinking)

They are good for spending time with family and friends. Something fun to talk about.

They don't classically contribute to good physical fitness and hygiene.

Contrary to media hype, they are not the devil. While they can piss you off at times, they don't turn people into serial killers or rapists.

Are a major factor in late nights and groggy mornings, and the occasional "late to work" syndrome.