IGNORED

Ok I might get drummed out

cparsley

But I finally made the move from Windows XP to Windows 7 (by force mind you, not choice)

I figured it would be a simple burn everything from the XP machine before it went to hell, and then load it from the DVD-R to the Windows 7 machine and I'd be in business, but alas, not everything is as it seems in the Windows 7 universe.

A) It doesn't like ANY of the emulators at all that I had working without a problem in the world on the XP system. This would include Virtual Coleco, Stella, Nostalgia, and NesterJ (Coleco, VCS, INTV and Nes respectively)

In addition it refused to take from the disc anything with a .bin extension, saying it was not a valid DOS command (or file) forget which...

Im one of those "if it is not broke, don't fix it type of guys," but became forced to make this move to Windows 7 with now all the torture thats coming with it... So if anyone has any hints to help me out of this, that would be great :)

I dont do windows nor do i harvest apples, lol but my friend pick up some cheap XP machines on craigslist like ten dollars due to a similar situation. I have several xp machines thay i had purchased on craigslist cheap, but i got them just to run easy peasy and have internet terminal in different room and it turn put that the linux os gave new life and speed to those old machines.

But I finally made the move from Windows XP to Windows 7 (by force mind you, not choice)

I figured it would be a simple burn everything from the XP machine before it went to hell, and then load it from the DVD-R to the Windows 7 machine and I'd be in business, but alas, not everything is as it seems in the Windows 7 universe.

A) It doesn't like ANY of the emulators at all that I had working without a problem in the world on the XP system. This would include Virtual Coleco, Stella, Nostalgia, and NesterJ (Coleco, VCS, INTV and Nes respectively)

In addition it refused to take from the disc anything with a .bin extension, saying it was not a valid DOS command (or file) forget which...

Im one of those "if it is not broke, don't fix it type of guys," but became forced to make this move to Windows 7 with now all the torture thats coming with it... So if anyone has any hints to help me out of this, that would be great :)

if a program used to run on xp, right click on the .exe and go to properties and then compatibility then choose windows xp. as far as the .bin issue, you somehow are trying to open a .bin file instead of copying it.

I dont want to come off sounding ungrateful or anything, but I've tried the simplistic items already before posting... It wont run either in XP compatibility mode...

As for the bin's, I was copying it on the HD, so I wasnt trying to run it as everything else copied...

Hope that clears up why Im asking :)

I am able to use jzIntv in Windows 7. Have you tried that emulator?

I find it very odd that Stella wouldn't work in this setup, since 7/64-bit is what I'm using for Windows development. Are you re-installing the app from the EXE on the Stella website? Some people have tried to manually copy parts of the app in the past, and have had problems. A complete re-install is necessary. And I would suggest the same for all the apps you use.

Since we don't know exactly how you upgraded or any other details, I can't really offer any advice. But I can say for sure that Stella works on all Windows from XP to present (including, apparently, Windows 8 ). If it didn't, I suspect I would have heard many complaints before now.

CParsely,

What do you mean by this? Can you give me more details on what it is you are trying when this happens? For instance, are you double-clicking the "bin" file from the disc, or are you trying to open it in one of the emulators, etc.?

-dZ.

You need to install the program again from their original installation executable, normally software insert some code in windows registry to run properly and when you upgrade Windows all that is erased. Never assume that a program will work after an upgrade, everything must be reinstalled.

• Like 1