IGNORED

How depressing... my XE fragged... who can fix this?

King_Salamon

Ok, so I jumped the gun and posted wrong photos :P . In fact these are the real bad chips, not that it will matter as all the chips will be replaced, nevertheless knowing which ones were really the faulty ones is nice. Apparently I was looking at BANK 0 test screen when I was waiting for the results for BANK 1. Anyway, it's all figured out now so it's time to put an order for the parts and get on with removing the 16 undesirables....

post-15627-0-96032900-1349914299_thumb.png

post-15627-0-87622800-1349914311_thumb.png

post-15627-0-78614400-1349914325_thumb.jpg

The extended RAM test isn't in the computer. It's a little trick I played.....

I created a test disk with Prosystem and my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual interface using my laptop. Connected the ATARI to the 1050 with test disk in it. First round of test was done with the built-in ram test as the computer did not boot from the 1050 but went straight into self-test. Once I identified the bad chip in Bank 0 and piggybacked it with a good one I re-booted the 130XE and this time the computer loaded the test program from the 1050 then I was able to re-test BANK 0 and test BANK 1 (extended RAM) with the RADON memory test program. This is the kind of ramtest software Atari should have had in their computers to start with.

Edited by atari8warez

Holy heck! I was at work when you posted the question as to when I shipped it and now that I'm home and about to send you the tracking number etc... You not only have it but you've been working on it.

Like I said... This thing is soooo new that it was worth getting fixed. Not to mention that I had some software waiting to be played on it too! :)

Seems like time has been rough on this system and its not caused from wear but the fact that the ram is pretty much a ticking time bomb on these units. So I guess all we do now is wait for the ram to arrive and then they can be replaced?

I'm hoping everything else on there is in good shape? Thanks again for taking care of this!

The motherboard looks in pretty good shape (and I hope it will be the same by the time i finish fiddling with it :D ), the Pill upgrade seems to work, as when I enabled it (flicking the switch) it did disable writing to 16K of RAM (simulating ROM) as indicated by the memory test software, The only thing I found on the motherboard is whoever did the soldering of the Pill left the flux residue on board. I will clean that before I put the machine back together. I threw that black tape covering the Pill chip away and replaced it with clear and tougher plastic. And did some desoldering tonight. Still quite a few to go, but there is progress......

post-15627-0-26861200-1349937165_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-08958700-1349937177_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-77397000-1349937182_thumb.jpg

I'd say remove the mod but leave the switch on the back of the case... I figure a non-functioning switch will look better than a hole on the back. But the mod is something I have no use for. Of course, I don't want you to do any extra work that you don't need to or feel the need to do.

Thanks again for taking care of this unit! Oh... I don't think I ever asked about the cost of the ram... what do I owe you for that? I don't think I ever asked... lol. I've always been concerned with getting this thing fixed! :)

Until the day you accidently leave the switch in the wrong position and can't figure out why your games won't work. :) It's your device though, you can do what you like with it. Perhaps the switch can be put to good use with a Stereo Pokey board... On my 800XL with Stereo board, I wired the RF channel switch for that function (since the RF modulator has been removed anyhow.)

@king_salamon

I can see Shawn's point, leaving the switch in the wrong position reduces your RAM and as he said may cause trouble with software, besides there is a chip that is also connected to the ECI, a malfunction on that chip could also adversely affect your computer's performance for nothing since you're not going to be using that upgrade. It's no big deal for me to remove 5 extra wires after desoldering 256 pins and soldering another 256 in their place. What's 5 solder points compared to 512 - lol. The switch can be left in it's place.

Anyway, you decide what you want to do and I am fine either way. As for the Ram prices, I will be shopping for them tomorrow and let you know the total price including the sockets and shipping. I've already seen 4164's (64K x 1) for $1.80 each, same vendor also have 41256's (256 x 1) for $0.80 each, sockets are far less.

I will get you the 41256s, that requires me to do some wiring to connect their A8 pins to the ground, but those chips are not only less expensive they will also ease a future memory upgrade should you wish to get one later. I am also planning to buy a chip or two extra as a spare for you in case one of them turn out bad, or go bad later. It would be a simple matter of popping the bad one out and pop the good one in. You would also be able do simple diagnostics yourself using a test program and the extra chip with the piggybacking method to identify the bad one.

Anyway, I am almost done with the desoldering and things look good so far, no damage to traces and a fairly clean desoldering work. Will post a photo later, the rest is easy and the timing will largely depend on the parts arrival.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, we are half way there already.... Identified the offenders... One in the main bank, another in the extended...

Next step will hurt me deeply when I see those MT4254s dismembered..... no matter how bad they are :(

interesting self-test what a rom is it?

• 1 year later...

Hey atari8warez for that Radon mem test, how do I start the actual test? I loaded the .atr file with my MyIDE-II and all it does is stay on the title screen (blue background)... I tried pressing every button on the keyboard and all the function buttons but to no avail, other then reset which of course resets :)