IGNORED

Star Raiders

GroovyBee

After seeing all your XM software (and the XM itself let's not forget!) at AC 2012 and the previous ejagfest, yep, I'd say even as good as you're going the Jaguar side has a bit of catching up to do.. but it's getting there, the fumes are taking effect and there's much more to come I know :lol:

• Like 2

After seeing all your XM software (and the XM itself let's not forget!) at AC 2012 and the previous ejagfest, yep, I'd say even as good as you're going the Jaguar side has a bit of catching up to do.. but it's getting there, the fumes are taking effect and there's much more to come I know :lol:

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully people will enjoy my jag Mystery Game which will be demoed at eJagFest ;).

• Like 2

It's the beard! I bet he is using the beard to filter the fumes!! :D :D :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are some pictures of Star Raiders in the images of eJagFest 2012 that I've seen.

The game now has a limited set of working sound effects. The effects are made possible by using U-235's YM sound chip emulator "JYM - Jaguar YaMahaw" running on the jag's DSP. As the YM emulation improves more sound effects will start working. When the sound is close to the ST version I'll put out a free binary and call it a day on the project.

Star Raiders was a bit overshadowed by Moles (the jag "Mystery Game" announced on the eJagFest 2012 flyer) to be honest. But that is no surprise to me, given that Moles hadn't been seen in public before.

• Like 3

There are some pictures of Star Raiders in the images of eJagFest 2012 that I've seen.

The game now has a limited set of working sound effects. The effects are made possible by using U-235's YM sound chip emulator "JYM - Jaguar YaMahaw" running on the jag's DSP. As the YM emulation improves more sound effects will start working. When the sound is close to the ST version I'll put out a free binary and call it a day on the project.

Star Raiders was a bit overshadowed by Moles (the jag "Mystery Game" announced on the eJagFest 2012 flyer) to be honest. But that is no surprise to me, given that Moles hadn't been seen in public before.

So now the entire game is pretty much working on the Jag except the sound? Wow thats awesome! Good work GroovyBee!

So now the entire game is pretty much working on the Jag except the sound? Wow thats awesome! Good work GroovyBee!

When I posted all the screenshots on the 19th of October the game was pretty much complete then. There are a few "front end" things I'll add before you can start the game e.g. high score name entry and rank display. Apart from those changes and sound its pretty much ready to go.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
I'm sure the 100s of people who have either played or seen upcoming 7800 XM games and tech demos at all the shows and events I have been to in the last year would see it rather differently.

Definitely agree here. Big time looking forward to some 7800 action.

Bumping this thread though, because I've had a hankerin' to play this game lately. Been fiddling with Battlesphere and Spacewar 2000 quite a bit. Each time I pick those up though, I start thinking about Star Raiders. Has the sound ever been worked out to release a binary? Not that I want to distract from any 7800 developments though. :)

Also, in consideration of the numbering scheme, I haven't seen the pro-controller mentioned. If you haven't finalized the button layout, it would be nice to consider what buttons would best correspond to the pro-controller, or maybe make that an alternate layout.

Hello,

Nice job with the realtime conversion of gfx on the Jag, this is very interesting.

For audio would it not be possible to adapt the u235 engine with a wrapper to use in your source so that you don't need to re-write that part aswell?

Ofcourse native jag stuff runs better and looks nicer but quick ports could be a start, I am very interested into the source code if/or whenever that will be released.

TXG/MNX

Hello,

Nice job with the realtime conversion of gfx on the Jag, this is very interesting.

For audio would it not be possible to adapt the u235 engine with a wrapper to use in your source so that you don't need to re-write that part aswell?

Ofcourse native jag stuff runs better and looks nicer but quick ports could be a start, I am very interested into the source code if/or whenever that will be released.

TXG/MNX

Alas the port of STarRaiders uses Ym2149 synthesis for sounds etc. So the U235 SE will not (currently) handle this (as it is purely a sample based system). It would be possible to perhaps sample all possible effects and then cheat with the SE.. but.. I have been working with GB on this (and am seriously behind.. my bad, sorry :) ) on a project called JYM (Jaguar YaMahaw :D ) which simulates the STs YM chip in the DSP. Mostly working, but still a few issues I need to work out for the Star Raiders release..

One day I'll get some time to work on things Jaggy.

• Like 4