IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - October 18th 2012

Pixelboy

The SGM works with Atarimax SD cart, and SGM games will also work as long as you have the SGM plugged in and the game uses either regular cartridges (up to 32KB) or MegaCarts, both supported by the SD cart. Super Game Cartridge games on the other hand won't run from SD cards, as its new mapper isn't supported.

I'm not sure this is true...the SGM has its own sound chip and if it's not present an SGM game that utilizes it would not operate properly...

And SGM games will utilize up to 32k ram while, if I understand correctly, the SD cart only handles the standard 1k.

The actual size of the game rom isn't relevant

It's my understanding that the SGM games will simply be on MegaCarts. This bank switching method is supported by the SD cart. So as long as the user has a SGM, a ROM should (in theory) play without issues.

And SGM games will utilize up to 32k ram while, if I understand correctly, the SD cart only handles the standard 1k.

Um, not quite, Joe. ;) I can run Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game just fine on my SD cart.

Let's go over it again, and this time, let's make the explaination more complete:

SGM = more RAM

MegaCart = more ROM

SD cartridge = more ROM

You need to understand that there is no technical dependency between RAM and ROM:

1) You can have a game that fits on a regular 32K ROM and needs only 1K of RAM (this is the case of most CV games).

2) You can have a game that fits on a regular 32K ROM but still needs more than 1K of RAM (such as King's Valley).

3) You can have a game that DOESN'T fit in 32K (i.e. needs a MegaCart) but still only needs 1K of RAM (such as Pac-Man Collection)

4) You can have a game that DOESN'T fit in 32K (i.e. needs a MegaCart) AND also needs more than 1K to run (such as Thexder, Dragon's Lair or Zaxxon Super Game)

The SD cartridge can handle all four of the above possibilities, because it supports the MegaCart format. RAM usage is irrelevant here.

• Like 1

But regardless of memory ram/rom concerns...

We are talking about running an SGM game rom on the AtariMax SD Cart...what about the custom sound chip in the SGM? Wouldn't an SGM game that utilized this not run.....or at least not run correctly on the SD Cart?

I believe this was what was meant in the original comment that an "emulator" would be needed...to emulate the sound chip.

Um, not quite, Joe. ;) I can run Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game just fine on my SD cart.

Let's go over it again, and this time, let's make the explaination more complete:

SGM = more RAM

MegaCart = more ROM

SD cartridge = more ROM

You need to understand that there is no technical dependency between RAM and ROM:

1) You can have a game that fits on a regular 32K ROM and needs only 1K of RAM (this is the case of most CV games).

2) You can have a game that fits on a regular 32K ROM but still needs more than 1K of RAM (such as King's Valley).

3) You can have a game that DOESN'T fit in 32K (i.e. needs a MegaCart) but still only needs 1K of RAM (such as Pac-Man Collection)

4) You can have a game that DOESN'T fit in 32K (i.e. needs a MegaCart) AND also needs more than 1K to run (such as Thexder, Dragon's Lair or Zaxxon Super Game)

The SD cartridge can handle all four of the above possibilities, because it supports the MegaCart format. RAM usage is irrelevant here.

We are talking about running an SGM game rom on the AtariMax SD Cart...what about the custom sound chip in the SGM? Wouldn't an SGM game that utilized this not run.....or at least not run correctly on the SD Cart?

I believe this was what was meant in the original comment that an "emulator" would be needed...to emulate the sound chip.

If you have the ROM on a SD card and you have the SGM plugged in to the Coleco, the game will be able to make use of all SGM features. The person who mentioned an emulator was talking about playing the ROM on a computer. It wasn't in reference to using the ROM on a SD card.

Oh, yes, sure. :)

In the case of Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game, if you run these games on the ADAM without the SGM plugged in, it's going to work because:

a) The SGM's sound chip is not used by those two games

b) The games do not detect the SGM in the same way Eduardo's routines do.

In the case of King's Valley and Thexder (and any other future ports done by Eduardo, like Goonies or Knightmare), the games won't work if the SGM is not plugged in, because Eduardo designed his detection routine to stall the software if the SGM is not detected. This is true whether you're using a SD cart or a real cart, or if you're using a CV or and ADAM.

If rom was sold anyone could hack rom to remove ID and then share. Does the CV even have a CRC check in the bios to see if code has not changed? Not that its too hard to just recalculate the CRC once the ID has been changed to something else.

That being said I think what Opcode does is so cool, he sells game and then after game sells out he posts rom. I for one would still like to buy the game cart even though he posted the rom. As I like the carts and person who does work should get money for it.

Sounds like Pixelboy is ok with making more of copies of the games if he sells out of the initial batch, so that great too. He is even making some more copies of the sold out ones from previous year.

Only bummer is if games are sold out and no way to buy rom and publisher/author won't do cart reprint. I can understand this for limitied edition type games.

Edited by grips03

Thanks for the additional information...

And changing the subject slightly...

Are all the games you are releasing in December (except Dragon's Lair & Super Zaxxon) MSX ports?

I really need to go find them and play them a bit so I can decide which ones I want to get.

Oh, yes, sure. :)

In the case of Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game, if you run these games on the ADAM without the SGM plugged in, it's going to work because:

a) The SGM's sound chip is not used by those two games

b) The games do not detect the SGM in the same way Eduardo's routines do.

In the case of King's Valley and Thexder (and any other future ports done by Eduardo, like Goonies or Knightmare), the games won't work if the SGM is not plugged in, because Eduardo designed his detection routine to stall the software if the SGM is not detected. This is true whether you're using a SD cart or a real cart, or if you're using a CV or and ADAM.

Wonder Boy's a SG-1000 port. Quest for the Golden Chalice is a new game based on Atari Adventure. The others (with the exception of Dragon's Lair and Super Zaxxon) are MSX ports.

He actually had very good descriptions of each of the games on his website. I suggest you check it out.

http://teampixelboy.com

Seeing how confusing all the new stuff can be, SD carts, MegaCarts, SGM, Super Game carts, etc, I just wonder what would happen if we introduce a new upgraded console. :)

Joe, here are some videos (hope Luc don't mind)...

I would love to see my name on each game but that would be for the cool factor not the idea that it is now safe from giving it to people.

Well, I couldn't resist, so I hacked the DK title screen and placed your name in there. If you would like to pay me for this service, I'll get started on all the other games as well! :P

post-25956-0-27763300-1350683991_thumb.png

• Like 1

The ROM release could be handled in the same way as D1K for the Intellivision, with each ROM modified to include the buyer's name.

While this method has been suggested in the past, it's just another "so-called" method of trying to protect the rom image from being shared with others who didn't actually pay for it. It is VERY easily to edit the rom image file and change things to conceal the name of the original purchaser as can be seen by my mod of the DK title screen above for ColecoDan. There could be other methods included with the buyer's name such as placing serial numbers with the program code so that they could "probably" never be found... but there's plenty of smart people out there that would overcome this safe guard as well.

The only rom distribution methods of protection that would work are the Honor System, NewColeco's and other's method of just releasing the rom file for free or Opcode's current method of releasing the rom file to his games after all manufactured copies are sold out and another run will not be made.

I have checked out his site...frequently...but a screen shot or two and description doesn't really give you a feel for the game (no offense intended)...I like to see and/or play it to find out what a game's all about.

Opcode's posted videos were very helpful.

Wonder Boy's a SG-1000 port. Quest for the Golden Chalice is a new game based on Atari Adventure. The others (with the exception of Dragon's Lair and Super Zaxxon) are MSX ports.

He actually had very good descriptions of each of the games on his website. I suggest you check it out.

http://teampixelboy.com

Edited by jblenkle

I have checked out his site...frequently...but a screen shot or two and description doesn't really give you a feel for the game (no offense intended)...I like to see and/or play it to find out what a game's all about.

Opcode's posted videos were very helpful.

Did you notice the links to YouTube videos of the original SG-1000 and MSX games, at the bottom of each section on my web site?

I'm in awe! Princess Quest art printed looks amazing. :thumbsup: Luc, you're great! :)

By the way, remember I'm in for other of your releases: Wonder Boy, Dragon's Lair, Thexder, Super Zaxxon and Quest for the Golden Chalice. :) :) My friends will be surprised to see these nice games CIB :) :)

Edited by nanochess

I'm down to two copies of Girl's Garden, in case anyone is interested. As I said in the first post of this thread, after my stocks of Girl's Garden are gone, I won't be making any more, ever! :)

As in your website:

"(...)So of course, I decided to go for it, since I'm not one to overlook a great opportunity."

So, I'm interested.

Wow, someone should really grab this while they still have a chance... it's a fantastic game!

So let me see... you bough a game called Girl's Garden... I see.... Oh, and it comes in a pink cartridge?! Now that is.... charming... :P

j/k :lolblue: