IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

I took at stab at transcribing the instruction manual. The items in brackets are my best guesses. Here's what I came up with for page 1:

This is exactly why we need high-quality scans of the documents. People want to view/read this stuff. A cheap point-and shoot camera just doesn't do it justice.

I just got a msg from the gamegavel people (as i used to use their chat service ages ago)

it was regarding a boxed air raid game

here's the link they sent me

http://www.gamegavel.com/reviews/2012/10/22/sound-the-sir ens-cib-atari-air-raid-discovered/

Is this the same air raid as per this thread or has another one been discovered

If I remember right years ago before they even knew the games name 100% some dude said he had the box and told everyone the name of the game. I think the guy was never heard from again or something after that so I guess it was never confirmed.

If anyone remembers this or knows what really happened I would like to know. I'm just going off of my bad memory.

I keep seeing mention of a third box? Is this confirmed? Who has it?

Very cool that they found the insturctions! I think this could go just as high as the last one.

I just did a few searches. Sorry, no links, but search for Air Raid plus sylabyss or pitfall harry for a good start.

So many elements from this particular scenario of finding this game seem so eerily similar to me. I wish I could elaborate on that and say more, but I can't really. Maybe someday in the future.

But alas, I will say, congratulations. Enjoy the moment as it is indeed very special and the fond memory will far outweigh the cash for years to come.

I think this is the story you guys are looking for....

I never claimed I had a "friend" who owned a boxed copy of Air Raid. What I did say is that I knew of another collector who claimed to have found Air Raid with its box. I never met him, personally. I found out about this other collector (sorry, I have since forgotten his name) very shortly after I found a copy of Air Raid myself, which was in 2000 or thereabouts. At that time there was precious little information available about the mysterious, powder blue T-handled cartridge. All I really knew about Air Raid then was that it was listed as a "10" on the VGR rarity list (out of 10), which was the bible for cartridge rarities in those days. I was naturally curious about what the box and the instruction manual looked like. So, I scoured the internet in search of anything I might uncover about Air Raid. That search eventually led me to an old user net post from a collector who claimed he found Air Raid years before I did. He identified himself by name and he left his e-mail address in that post, so I sent him an e-mail in hopes of finding out whether he knew anything more about Air Raid.

He wrote me back to tell me he had found his copy of Air Raid when he was living in California. He had since moved to Chicago. He also mentioned in that e-mail that when he found Air Raid he also found it with its original box, and that his find is the only reason why anyone ever knew that the title of the game is indeed Air Raid. The name of the game (according to him) is printed on the box. He also took the time to brag about having been a really huge, huge Atari collector back in his active period, and that he had found more rare Atari games than most people see in a lifetime.

I begged him for a scan of the box. He promised he would make a scan and send it to me, just as soon as he located the game. But the catch was this: In the intervening years that followed his amazing find, he had since gotten a really good job and had moved and he didn't have the time or inclination to actively collect old video games anymore. He said his Air Raid was in storage in his garage or somewhere -- he wasn't sure where -- but he would look for it and send me a scan when he located it. I sent him e-mail reminders periodically for over a year, but he never came through and I finally gave up and stopped e-mailing him about it.

His story seemed plausible to me, but I'm sure it seems less plausible to you since you're getting it second hand. Oh, well.

I know there is a better write up of it somewhere, and I "think" it was in one of the old Digital Press books, but the above posting gives you the basic idea :)

I would say yes, there is a 3rd one somewhere in a garage...unless he totally guessed the name...

Wow! $18k after one day!! I guess those who thought that this title has lost its lustre will have to think again. I wonder what a CIB Ultravision Karate would go for (if it ever surfaces in the first place). This copy will easily pass the previous copy the way its going...

This is an awesome discovery! I've always had secret hopes of finding something like this hidden away in a box somewhere. It truly is like finding treasure! :)

Now that the address of Men-A-Vision is known, it's entirely possible that we could track down the creators if they're still alive. It'd be interesting to get their thoughts on it.

The box clearly states taht this game was made in Taiwan (and the standard of English on the box supports this also), so if you want to track down the "creators" you most likely will have to go there. I bet the address on the instructions is a distribution point for them, a local office for their local distributor(s). We now know for a fact that the Taiwanese tried selling their games directly to mail order distributors in the US and failed miserably. We also know that they set up some form of production in the US through Zimag/Vidco to distribute their games at a later stage. Zimag claims claim to be made in the US. I would hazard a guess that "MenAvision" was an inbetween step, where they produced this game in Taiwan, claimed to be a US company and tried distributing their game through US salesmen door to door. This too failed horribly. Only the sales they made through Zimag had any success (as these games are semi rare, so they must've had some sales success). But the game was clearly programmed by Taiwanese. It has every hallmark of their work :)

• Like 1

Definetily Tawain! I do think a few US guys were behind it though...

My thoughts -

A few guys (or maybe even one) from the US with a little business experience and an idea to get in on the atari craze had an idea to make an atari game. They had a guy in the US make the cartridge shells (I tend to believe the mold story in the original boxed air raid topic) they were made blue because it was a sample run of 25 and the contracted guy used left over plastic from a run of baby formula lids. He was never paid for his work because he made the handle shaft 1" and not 1/10" like it was supposed to be, the guys son did say he was known to make mistakes like this.

The guys from the US found a company in Taiwan to program the game. When the games were completed and ready for sale they contacted a smaller distribution company (someone that handled smaller company games, this guy says the rep had Cosmic swarm and some others..) and handed over the 25 samples for distribution, in hopes of a large order being placed and then production would start.

The game flopped, nobody wanted it and no more where ever made. The investors moved on and forgot all about it, who knows, they could be self made millionaires from some other idea that DID work and couldn;t care less about a 30k atari game anymore :)

If true about the mold, that would mean 25 Air Raids were made..

• Like 1

I think this is the story you guys are looking for....

I know there is a better write up of it somewhere, and I "think" it was in one of the old Digital Press books, but the above posting gives you the basic idea :)

I would say yes, there is a 3rd one somewhere in a garage...unless he totally guessed the name...

Yup I think that is the one. After digging up this old info it makes me want to know even more now how the games name was first found out. I know for a fact people were asking for this game by name as far back as 1994 but I can find anything before that.

The guys from the US found a company in Taiwan to program the game. When the games were completed and ready for sale they contacted a smaller distribution company (someone that handled smaller company games, this guy says the rep had Cosmic swarm and some others..) and handed over the 25 samples for distribution, in hopes of a large order being placed and then production would start.

Very difficult to estimate, but yeah, numbers have to be way low. Was probably someone out of their house who wanted to try a business, perhaps found someone with coding experience, or enough of it in this case, who knows? It's doubtful we'll ever know unless they catch wind of all the how-to-do over stuff like this. Probably dumped their own money into it, watched it die, and forgot. No requirements exist for business functioning under a certain gross capacity every year. You can say you own a business without registering.

• Like 1

One thing you haven't addressed yet - is whether you are willing to let Wonder007 meet with you and confirm it?

I offered them the chance for me to verify their copy but they said that they will just ride out the auction. I tried.

If true about the mold, that would mean 25 Air Raids were made..

So Atari Air Raid is officially on par with the Gold Nintendo World Championships cart (27 of which were made). And due to the nature of the NWC, people who recieved them as prizes knew they had something special. So I'd imagine more of them survived. Also, had any orders been placed for Air Raids, then black carts would have been produced or the orders would have gone unfulfilled. Well, that officially debunks the myth that a large "pallete" of Air Raids exists in a warehouse somewhere. Any official sources for that info (if they exist) will make the story more credible, although it sounds like a perfectly plausible story to me.

I found/got a loose Air Raid this summer. it was a new find never reported. I think mine was #16 reported , so with boxed one that makes 17? Mine was found in Kansas at game store Game Xchange for $1 by one of my customers and he sold it to me.

I will happily pay you $2.00 for it...that's a great deal at 100% mark up! :D

• Like 2

I found/got a loose Air Raid this summer. it was a new find never reported. I think mine was #16 reported , so with boxed one that makes 17? Mine was found in Kansas at game store Game Xchange for $1 by one of my customers and he sold it to me.

I have two Game-X-Changes in my area (Shreveport/Bossier). I find it fascinating that all Atari games, regardless of rarity, are $1.95 and the buyback price is 25 cents. If the poor guy walked in with the "Holy Grail" of Atari games and sold it for a buck, he surely didn't know what he had. I'd bet you gave him that dollar out of your own wallet and pocketed the game, didn't you? That's slick...

Edited by stardust4ever