IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Quick and dirty under MESS. The scanlines and overall HLSL effects become somewhat warped and displaced in a window when I'm capturing (Bilinear filtering kicks in too unfortunately). I didn't turn on YIQ emulation either. Full screen it looks near perfect (Artifacts and all :-D ). Just a sampling of video tweak options:

brightness 1.0

contrast 1.0

gamma 1.0

hlsl_prescale_x 0

hlsl_prescale_y 0

shadow_mask_alpha 0.0

shadow_mask_texture aperture.png

shadow_mask_x_count 320

shadow_mask_y_count 240

shadow_mask_usize 0.09375

shadow_mask_vsize 0.109375

curvature 0.0

pincushion 0.0

scanline_alpha 0.0

scanline_size 1.0

scanline_height 0.7

scanline_bright_scale 1.0

scanline_bright_offset 0.0

scanline_jitter 0.0

defocus 0.0,0.0

converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0

converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0

radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0

radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0

red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0

grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0

blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0

saturation 1.0

offset 0.0,0.0,0.0

scale 1.0,1.0,1.0

power 1.0,1.0,1.0

floor 0.0,0.0,0.0

phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0

vector_bloom_scale 0.3

raster_bloom_scale 0.0

bloom_lvl0_weight 1.0

bloom_lvl1_weight 0.21

bloom_lvl2_weight 0.19

bloom_lvl3_weight 0.17

bloom_lvl4_weight 0.15

bloom_lvl5_weight 0.14

bloom_lvl6_weight 0.13

bloom_lvl7_weight 0.12

bloom_lvl8_weight 0.11

bloom_lvl9_weight 0.10

bloom_lvl10_weight 0.09

I didn't turn on these goods:

yiq_enable 0

yiq_cc 3.59754545

yiq_a 0.5

yiq_b 0.5

yiq_o 0.0

yiq_p 1.0

yiq_n 1.0

yiq_y 6.0

yiq_i 1.2

yiq_q 0.6

yiq_scan_time 52.6

yiq_phase_count 2

Got a chance to play the latest update & wow! looks really good. Can't wait to play it on real hardware, even if I have no sound till the XM is complete. This is the best upgrade to a existing game on a classic console that I've seen by far. Great work Perry!

With all due respect to the modest summary Perry has provided, I have compiled a more extensive listing of many updates and fixes that have taken place. While better than a "Cliff's notes" version, this is by no means exhaustive. Even just one of these points could mean hours upon hours, and days upon days of work.

If you see a point that may appear to be duplicated, the fact is it is probably one of many items that went through several revisions. Perry was/is determined to get so many things as "arcade perfect" as possible, it is mind blowing.

It is clear this labor of love has entailed an incredible amount of work:

- POKEY sound borrowed heavily from the 8-bit version.

- Created the tunes that play at the end of the rivet screen. Both versions are there and alternates like the arcade.

- You can also now hear Kong beat his chest as you try to save Pauline.

- "How High Can You Get?" screen is present and accounted for.

- Intro animations - Kong starts the game climbing the building with Pauline, hops across the girders and finishes with a laugh at Mario.

- End of board animations - He will escape with Pauline at the end of the Girder, Cement and Elevator levels.

- Cement (Pie) factory! Includes Kong moving across the top conveyor as Mario works his way up the screen while avoiding the fire balls and cement containers.

- Graphics have been updated on all screens.

- New menu and score line. Sprites have been made more like the arcade thanks to Defender_2600.

- AI for firefoxes and fireballs has been updated. It is now arcade perfect on Cement and Rivet screens.

- Barrel tossing on Girder screen and Bouncer patterns on elevator screen have been updated to replicate the arcade as well.

- Modded colors to be a more like the arcade, thanks to KevinMos3 and Trebor's help.

- HSC support has been added!

- Added Pauline "standing" pose after being saved

- Updated Kong's climbing sprites to look more like arcade

- When Mario stops walking, he maintains his current pose instead of going back to standing pose.

- Fixed barrel logic with Japanese screen order. Mario now has to have hand above top rung of ladder for barrels to not go down ladder.

- Tweaked platforms on Cement screen so it is not too difficult to jump. Close to arcade now.

- Adjusted positions of blue poles supporting Pauline's platform on Rivet screen.

- Tweaked rivet sprites.

- Hammer didn't clear if Mario is killed while holding it.

- Changed Menu screen colors and added flashing affect to "Donkey Kong" graphic.

- Both the US and Japanese screen orders available - Controlled with the difficulty switch.

- Kong can now throw the blue barrels as in the arcade.

- On the cement screen, I've fixed the ladder code so it will pull Mario down if he isn't at the top when the ladder starts to move.

- The middle conveyor direction is now dependent on Mario's vertical position, same as the arcade version.

- Mario can rebound off wall to escape barrels at the end of the ramps

- Fireballs turn blue when the hammer is grabbed

- Fireball can climb to higher levels.

- The 1st blue barrel that gets tossed at the start of the screen now behaves correctly for each level.

- Level 22 kill screen.

- Fixed the color issue with the fireball's on the 1st screen.

- Updated the hammer graphics and added the skidding graphic that appears briefly at the end of jumps and falls.

- Hat, purse and umbrella point values vary with level.

- Hammering regular barrel is 100 pts. Blue barrels, firefoxes, fireballs, pies are random value of 300, 500 or 800 using same probability as arcade version.

- Changed the object jumping code to mimic the arcade.

- Barrel logic will follows the arcade.

- Position A will cause Kong to throw barrels at the same rate as the arcade version, while position B will use the original slower 7800 rates.

- Firefoxes and Fireballs use the same AI as the arcade game.

- Probabilities for going up/down ladders is replicated.

- The change in enemy speed as the bonus timer counts down and levels increase has been replicated. This includes the difference in speed going up and down ladders.

- The fire enemies bounce correctly as they move.

- Timing/AI for direction changes are replicated.

- Enemies on the rivet/cement screen will pause at the top of ladders randomly.

- Firefox graphics have been improved.

- Barrels on Girder screen start to disappear when bonus timer drops below 400

- Updated elevator speeds to match arcade.

- Made window for checking if Mario is above or below a ladder 40% wider to make it easier to climb/descend.

- Elevators: New graphics and added a color

- Girders: added a color

- Fireballs: new graphics and new colors

- Stairs: changed the color

- Donkey Kong: new color for the fur (more towards the red)

- The girder between the elevators has a different length respect to the girder that follows

- Elevator level - finished moving the platform and aligning the ladders.

- Bounding boxes follow same pattern as the arcade machine.

- Jump next to Donkey Kong, pulled away, and got 100pts on Rivets level (Arcade behavior)

- The smashed object graphic is correctly animated and multicolored.

- The elevator bouncer uses correct colors.

- Added "HELP!" graphic to Pauline's animation.

- Hammer duration matches arcade and color changes at 50% time left.

- Fixed bug so Pauline is erased when DK grabs here.

- Adjusted bouncer position and collision boundary.

- Tweaked Mario's speeds up/down ladders

- Jump distance was adjusted to be more arcade like.

- Cement container speeds were slowed down a bit to match the arcade as well.

- For the Japanese screen order option I modified the barrel logic so they don't go down a ladder when Mario is on it.

- Clear objects when Mario completes a level or dies.

- 3rd fireball on ramp screen bounces now.

- Updated oil can fire pallet to match fires.

- Updated Kong sprites.

That was the short version - I kid you not...

THANK YOU PERRY!!!

• Like 7

I've updated the demo's again. Fixed a minor bug that's been bothering me for a while. Some have probably noticed that the pace of the walking sound doesn't always slow down on ladders as it should. Should always work correctly now.

The big change I made was to the menu. It started with me adding an extra option to disable the high score cart (HSC). I added this as a precaution in case people have issues with HSC funtioning correctly on PAL systems. I havn't seen this happen, but have heard it is a possible issue since the HSC was designed for NTSC machines. By default, the HSC will be enabled, but now there is the option to disable it. Anyhow, this made the screen a bit more cluttered so as a solution, I removed the copyright from the menu. There is still a copy right display, now with kong, when the menu screen restarts. But after a few seconds, kong and the CR are replaced with the game options. I also reworked how the options are adjusted. I originally used the A/B switches to control some of the options, but that could be confusing since other are adjusted with the joystick. Now you can select the option you want to adjust by pushing up/down on the JS and adjust the option by pushing right/left. Seems more intuitive that way. A/B switches aren't used anymore.

You will also find another surprise if you play the .a78 files in Prosystem. I'll let you figure that one out on your own. ;)

Perry

edit: I forgot to add that I just ordered more doner carts and still have 20 available for sale.

• Like 2

Nice improvements. I'm glad to see the HSC. I managed to get a higher score but it doesn't let you enter the score if you actually complete the final screen. You must die to enter your initials. Anyway, I love it. Here's my score after a couple of tries:

post-17328-0-40833300-1375024652_thumb.png

Nice improvements. I'm glad to see the HSC. I managed to get a higher score but it doesn't let you enter the score if you actually complete the final screen. You must die to enter your initials. Anyway, I love it. Here's my score after a couple of tries:

Nice catch. The HSC entry normally only happens after you die. I'll have to update the demo to allow HSC entry after the final demo screen.

I'm glad you can demo th HSC now. I'm really happy with the how the graphic turned out.

I just tried RC7 on pro emulator and I couldn't select the US/Japan screen order, number of players or the difficulty any more. Also, you've fixed all of my other minor graphics update suggestions except my latest Did you see my post about not having a space after the comma between 1981 and 1983 on the title screen?

Bob

Edited by bfollett

One more issue to report on pro system. When the High score page is being displayed. If you hit F2. The graphics briefly display as pictured below before starting the game. Actually I just let the program run through it's full attract mode and the funky graphics display even when the program is switching between the High score screen and title screen on it's own.

Bob

post-18691-0-26112200-1375105882_thumb.png

Edited by bfollett