IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

I don't think that is correct. In the arcade version, after you climb to Kongs level, he slides over to the ladder, grabs Pauline, and climbs off the screen. I just noticed the sliding thing recently and will make that change since it's trivial.

I just checked in MAME and you're right. However, there was something I was playing recently where it is as I mentioned above. Maybe I had a different rom or something. It really stuck out to me because I've always felt it should be that way and then I finally saw it happen. I just checked the A8 version in an emulator and it's kinda like that because DK and Pauline are on the same girder, but I'm sure it couldn't be this that I was thinking of because I've never been good enough to reach the pie factory.

edit: BTW, I really hope that you're willing to deviate from the arcade in some ways and keep things that are an improvement. Most notably, when DK falls on the rivet screen. In the 7800 version his arms lay out like they really should, which is a huge improvement over the arcade and pretty much every other port of the game. I know as a kid, this really stuck out to me and was one of the reasons I always preferred the 7800 port over any other. I would hate to see this removed.

Another thing I think is a step backward is the blue straps on the barrels (even though I suggested that color in the other thread). I think they were only blue in the arcade because of hardware limitations and they would really look better with gray straps, or even a rust color. I always meant to say that after I posted those colors, but don't think I ever did.

Edited by KevinMos3

edit: BTW, I really hope that you're willing to deviate from the arcade in some ways and keep things that are an improvement. Most notably, when DK falls on the rivet screen. In the 7800 version his arms lay out like they really should, which is a huge improvement over the arcade and pretty much every other port of the game. I know as a kid, this really stuck out to me and was one of the reasons I always preferred the 7800 port over any other. I would hate to see this removed.

Another thing I think is a step backward is the blue straps on the barrels (even though I suggested that color in the other thread). I think they were only blue in the arcade because of hardware limitations and they would really look better with gray straps, or even a rust color. I always meant to say that after I posted those colors, but don't think I ever did.

This to me, in my very humble opinion, starts to become a slippery slope. Is the intent to mimic the arcade original or to add enhancements/changes to the game design beyond that - including colors, layout, and gameplay? If the intent is to stick more to what the original 7800 version looked like, then the changes Perry made recently to the elevator section should be undone to better reflect the original 7800 port.

Prior to the graphics conversion when this was just a POKEY sound hack, keeping things '7800 specific' was the (obvious) default. But now with all the conversions made to mimic the Arcade graphics, layout, and design, if there is picking and choosing what to keep 7800 specific and what to keep Arcade, we're back to a hodgepodge version, which essentially negates much of the work that has gone into Donkey Kong XM to make it as Arcade accurate as possible.

I would love to see 'Donkey Kong II - Jumpman Returns' port for the 7800, or other enhancements/changes. However, having a definitive, close to arcade as possible, port on the 7800, I thought/think/believe is the intent with this version.

Ultimately, the call is of course Perry's...Just my humble two cents (Worth less in some places) :-D

• Like 1

This to me, in my very humble opinion, starts to become a slippery slope.

It doesn't have to be. These things are pretty clear. I'm not suggesting coming up with ways to improve on the arcade (unless you're programming a game from scratch). I'm saying keep the things that are already there that are an improvement due to hardware strengths of the 7800 vs the arcade. In this case, the only great improvement over the arcade was the DK kill animation. Why not keep the improvement that's already there instead of crippliing it to make it more like the arcade. I think we can get a little ridiculous at times in our efforts to mimic the arcade version. I believe either Andrew or Thomas brought this up a while back.

The only other thing I think looks better in the 7800 vesrion is the barrel straps, but that's minor compared to the kill animation and something I can live with either way. The kill animation however, is a big deal to me. I probably shouldn't have brought it up, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it fell victim to arcade imitation.

If the intent is to stick more to what the original 7800 version looked like, then the changes Perry made recently to the elevator section should be undone to better reflect the original 7800 port.

Not at all. That's completely different from what I said. The new elevator screen is an improvement. This is where I go back to saying these things are pretty clear cut. Mimic the arcade as much as possible, and keep the rare cases where the 7800 version was actually better. Heck, it doesn't happen all that often AND it keeps a little 7800 flavor. Seriously... we do have MAME if we want arcade perfection anyway. When I play this on my console, I expect a few differences. If those differences happen to be improvements, I can be extra proud of my 7800. :)

The kill animation however, is a big deal to me. I probably shouldn't have brought it up, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it fell victim to arcade imitation.

It fell victim about a week ago. I just havn't posted the binary yet. I personally prefer the look of him rolling his eyes, teeth crooked and butterfies over his head to the arm/leg waving common in home ports. You can't really call the 7800 implementation an improvement as it boils down to personal preference. If we were to do a poll on which animation people prefer, my bet is that more will choose the arcade version.

The whole point of DK XM is to get as close to the arcade experience as possible. This was the general desire for home ports back in the day but they often fell short because of system limits or budget/time contraints for the programmers. Unless the arcade version has an arguable defect that needs to be fixed, the goal of a port should be to replicate the original. You can aways go back to the original 7800 version if you want the nastalgia or play the Pokey Kong version if your ears start hurting. ;) I'm not changing my philosophy for this game.

Perry

• Like 1

Hi guys

Here are some pics of my box i designed for Donkey Kong XM, Its a plastic hard case similar to a Megadrive/genesis case, Its almost the same dimensions an an original 7800 cardboard case but comes in about half an inch shorter in height, A 7800 game fits perfectly inside and i think it will be a nice safe place for this fantastic game, if anybody is interested inbox me.

How much does a box cost?I am interested :)

greetings Walter

Funny you should mention that. I just finished moving the platform and aligning the ladders. The reason I did it was to get the ladders positioned correctly for the updated bouncer pattern/timing. You can now use the same pattern as the arcade machine. I adjusted bounding boxes as well so that the bouncers can clip Mario a little bit without killing him. It's pretty tough at the 4th level now, just like the arcade. I will be slowing them down with the difficulty set to B so it won't be too frustrating.

• Like 3

Funny you should mention that. I just finished moving the platform and aligning the ladders. The reason I did it was to get the ladders positioned correctly for the updated bouncer pattern/timing. You can now use the same pattern as the arcade machine. I adjusted bounding boxes as well so that the bouncers can clip Mario a little bit without killing him. It's pretty tough at the 4th level now, just like the arcade. I will be slowing them down with the difficulty set to B so it won't be too frustrating.

*THIS* is *AWESOME*. Never did I believe this (I refuse to call it that "h" word any more) PORT would achieve this level of arcade accuracy. I brought up this issue months ago in the original thread. Back then, the wonderment and accomplishment to "just" have POKEY sound with a few changes... I did not dream it would really get this far in mimicking the arcade experience.

What you have done Perry is unbelievable. This port you have built is amazing.

• Like 3

*THIS* is *AWESOME*. Never did I believe this (I refuse to call it that "h" word any more) PORT would achieve this level of arcade accuracy. I brought up this issue months ago in the original thread. Back then, the wonderment and accomplishment to "just" have POKEY sound with a few changes... I did not dream it would really get this far in mimicking the arcade experience.

What may once started as a hack has now reached a PMP level :) Great stuff, Perry! Edited by Marc Oberhäuser
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more! :)

Great update and lots of nice new features. Among other things, the color of Game Over on all the screens is correct now.

I know I mentioned them before but:

1, Jumping or hitting the pies on the factory level has the bonus numbers in blue instead of white. Other bonus numbers are correct in white.

2. I don't know if you want to implement it or not but the bonus numbers in the final countdown to ten turn a different color along with the music. It's a different color depending on the screen.

Chuck

I've put updated demo's in the 1st post. let me know what you all think. And thanks for all the compliments. :)

Perry, the new demo is fantastic! :)

Among the changes, the new animations of the fire (of oil) are beautiful and the new colors are very nice.

Regarding the colors, I think the palette of Mario seems to be a good compromise for the bouncing objects.

And one thing I ask myself, if technically is possible to add the word _help_ for Pauline.

Anyway, always better! Thank you!

P.S.

I take the occasion to signal some details (see images)

dk7800demontsc02.png

dk7800demontsc01.png

dk7800demontsc00.png

I've put updated demo's in the 1st post. let me know what you all think. And thanks for all the compliments. :)

This is absolutely beautiful.

I found something that is not right with gameplay on the Rivet Level, but it is probably something one can rarely test. I was playing the Rivets screen, and I jumped across the last rivet. The last rivet CLEARED. At the same time, I hit a firefox. I died instead of clearing the level. Is there a way to give priority to the level clear?

I found a surprise on the Rivet Level: I jumped next to Donkey Kong, pulled away, and got 100pts!

He seems to score similarly in other areas, like jumping away from firefoxes and fireballs. I can't seem to score 100 by waiting to jump away from the first blue barrel on the ramps.

Is it possible to fix the hammers, to only destory objects at the ends of the ramps? I noticed you fixed the collision detection with Mario's head. Great Job!

I noticed Mario springs back properly on the Ramps, when jumping of the level near the upper hammer. Is it possible to fix this for other levels?

It was great to get 300 points for jumping two barrels. Mario seems to jump too far horizontally, without as much hang time as the arcade. It's a shame he can't clear a barrel when jumping away from it. It seems as if fixing that would make him unable to clear gaps on the elevator level, but I am not sure.

Finally, would it be difficult to allow Mario to walk most of the way over a rivet and clear it by walking back?

One last thing... Have you seen the MARIO graphic used in the new D.K.2600? I really like the look. His thinner size may help in some collision situations!

post-13491-0-91577800-1363210577_thumb.jpg

I had to Photoshop it, due to flicker. If you like this, I would be willing to map out this Mario for use in the 7800 version.

GREAT JOB!!! :)

Edited by darryl1970