IGNORED

Sequel to Donkey Kong arcade?

romeoteknik

Well, easily done on the XM (assuming it sees the light of day), but I would rather see a "Donkey Kong II (Pokey)" for the 7800 first. This game is actually an unofficial hack of the original arcade game and doesn't add a lot of requirements or new sprites, etc. Shouldn't be too difficult to make.

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping the 7800 XM comes out, but if not...there's D2K on the Intellivision (as TrekMD said above) that includes half of the Jumpman Returns screens, and there will be a DK Arcade likely to include all of the Jumpman Returns screens coming out next year for ColecoVision for the new Super Game Module. However, SGM is currently sold out.

Edited by DoctorTom

Tia sound indeed sucks compared to pokey, but pokey can be done without the XM.

That is true, but there is an issue of pokey being done without the XM. I don't know if you are aware, but there are two versions of Beef Drop for the 7800. One version of a pokey sound chip built inside the cartridge and the current version being sold on Atari age doesn't have a pokey sound chip built in cartridge.

The pokey version of Beef Drop is no longer being made because you have to take pokey sound chips out of Ballblazer or Commando carts. The last copy of Beef Drop that has a Pokey sound chip built inside the Cartridge was sold in 2007 or 2008. The Pokey edition had about 2 or 3 runs if I remembered right with it being a limited amount each time.

What happened to Beef Drop also would be an issue for any more 7800 homebrew games that has pokey chip built in.

That is true, but there is an issue of pokey being done without the XM. I don't know if you are aware, but there are two versions of Beef Drop for the 7800. One version of a pokey sound chip built inside the cartridge and the current version being sold on Atari age doesn't have a pokey sound chip built in cartridge.

The pokey version of Beef Drop is no longer being made because you have to take pokey sound chips out of Ballblazer or Commando carts. The last copy of Beef Drop that has a Pokey sound chip built inside the Cartridge was sold in 2007 or 2008. The Pokey edition had about 2 or 3 runs if I remembered right with it being a limited amount each time.

What happened to Beef Drop also would be an issue for any more 7800 homebrew games that has pokey chip built in.

Completely aware. I own a copy of Beef Drop VE (the one without pokey).

You don't have to take the Pokey out of Ballblazer or Commando carts. Those are carts you can find them in, yes. But Curt and his team aren't doing that for the Pokey chips they're putting in the XM. They're ordering them.

Again, we apparently need to find some way to get new POKEY chips made (or emulated) for new 7800 carts...

Or you could just use the one in the XM and use PCBs that currently exist.

Synthesising POKEY in a memory mapped way (that can be used in a cart) is likely to cost $10 as a rough guestimate per cart just for the CPLD/FPGA required. A CPLD/FPGA of sufficient gate capacity will most likely be in a QFP style package. Due to their fine pitch and surface mount nature QFP parts are beyond the realm of many homebrewers to solder so the carts will most likely need to be made in quantity at a factory.

Once you need a factory involved then that normally means that a minimum order quantity needs to be met in order to get a good price break. When you have a loaded PCB made there is also a one off tooling cost for a laser etched solder paste mask and also the time taken for a technician to program the pick and place machine and oven to make the product. This cost will add to the per cart cost as well.

Completely aware. I own a copy of Beef Drop VE (the one without pokey).

The last demo version of Beef Drop available on AA is XBOARD compatible and thus works as expected on the XM. I'm sure kenfused has said that the code never changed so the store's non POKEY Beef Drop should be fine on the XM as well.

Groovy, to be frank, I don't think the XM ever see the light of day (at least as something people will get shipped to them), and even if it magically appears, the number of users for it would be a niche within a niche within a niche. So, to me, saying "wait for the XM" is not a pragmatic solution.

I'm looking for something more pramatic for home-brewers and repros - which means looking at, perhaps, new carts or a new 'product' card similar to the Harmony-cart available on the 2600. If that means an order made for a custom cart with a Chinese factory, then so be it, I would would like to approach that option with reason than keep the entire hobby on hold for a product which will never come.

Groovy, to be frank, I don't think the XM ever see the light of day (at least as something people will get shipped to them), and even if it magically appears, the number of users for it would be a niche within a niche within a niche. So, to me, saying "wait for the XM" is not a pragmatic solution.

I'm looking for something more pramatic for home-brewers and repros - which means looking at, perhaps, new carts or a new 'product' card similar to the Harmony-cart available on the 2600. If that means an order made for a custom cart with a Chinese factory, then so be it, I would would like to approach that option with reason than keep the entire hobby on hold for a product which will never come.

Uh oh. This won't end well.

Oh look... POKEYs cost $10 as well :lol:. Have you tried ordering anything from Best in 50+ quantity?

I've never had a single problem receiving anything I've ordered from Best, on time or earlier than I expected, well packaged, and with great, communicative customer service.

When the XM team reaches that level of delivery quality, you can criticize them. Until then, this is just bad form.

Given the number of XMs ordered you can pretty much say that anybody interested in homebrew is going to have one. As a developer you might as well target the majority.

Good luck with that. You'll need a good understanding of electronics, PCB layout, 6502 and ARM assembler and then deal with getting it made.

• Like 1

I've never had a single problem receiving anything I've ordered from Best, on time or earlier than I expected, well packaged, and with great, communicative customer service.

When the XM team reaches that level of delivery quality, you can criticize them. Until then, this is just bad form.

I never criticised their delivery or packing. How about you ask them for a quote for 50+ POKEYs and tell us the response?

• Like 1

Given the number of XMs ordered you can pretty much say that anybody interested in homebrew is going to have one. As a developer you might as well target the majority.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't exist. I'll reconsider that stance once people have the XM in hand and these threads are filled about how nearly all Atari Age fans are enjoying the hell out of it. Until then, you're arguing for pie in the sky without the pie.

Good luck with that. You'll need a good understanding of electronics, PCB layout, 6502 and ARM assembler and then deal with getting it made.

No need to be condescending. It was done one for the 2600, so I'm having difficulty with the idea that it's impossible or unfeasible for the 7800.

Groovy, to be frank,I'm looking for something more pramatic for home-brewers and repros - which means looking at, perhaps, new carts or a new 'product' card similar to the Harmony-cart available on the 2600. If that means an order made for a custom cart with a Chinese factory, then so be it, I would would like to approach that option with reason than keep the entire hobby on hold for a product which will never come.

A Harmony 2 cart with a built in pokey slot like the CC2 has would be great. I have no idea if Batari will ever release it since he hasn't said anything about it in ages. Otherwise no one really wants to front the huge upfront cost for a new pcb which includes a pokey slot unless you mean you were willing to do it.

A Harmony 2 cart with a built in pokey slot like the CC2 has would be great. I have no idea if Batari will ever release it since he hasn't said anything about it in ages. Otherwise no one really wants to front the huge upfront cost for a new pcb which includes a pokey slot unless you mean you were willing to do it.

I might, though I admit that I don't know the costs involved (and estimates floating around these forums are all over the place). I would honestly like to find out, which oddly seems to raise some hackles from some people. But I don't see why it's unreasonable, from those saying "wait for the XM" to find out about other options, however - and I'm a bit sick of the whole "don't do anything, don't make new games, don't look for POKEY chips, wait for the XM!" attitude in many of these threads.

• Like 1