IGNORED

DS must haves and hidden gems

I'm looking at doing a MASSIVE culling on my games and consoles from all kind of systems so that my collection is much more focused on portable gaming. I unfortunately just don't have the time to sit down and hog the TV for video games, but I can still easily dedicate lots of time to handheld gaming.

So I'm looking at using all of the cash I make from the sales to greatly expand my DS collection whilst alot of great titles can be grabbed cheap and easy.

What are some absolute must haves and hidden gems that I should be looking for for the DS?

My personal recommendations:

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (best GTA ever)

New Super Mario Bros

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Contra 4 (awesome retro platformer)

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Mario Kart DS

have fun! :)

• Like 1

Hotel Dusk and Last window.

These two games, as a pair, are my favorite games on the DS, and (in my ever humble opinion) have the best storyline and character progression of any game made in the last few years. Kyle Hyde (the main dude in these two games) is one of my favorite game characters ever. I love this series. They are unlike anything else I've ever played.

Edited by mlippart

If you like Metroidvania type games and the Aliens franchise, Aliens: Infestation might be up your alley. I haven't beaten it yet, but I've heard it wasn't too long. Space Invaders Extreme is a great pick up and play game. I don't go for puzzle games, but Zoo Keeper and the Professor Layton series I really enjoy. Trauma Center: Under the Knife is another but only if you don't mind difficult games. I honestly don't think I'll ever beat it.

Hotel Dusk and Last window.

These two games, as a pair, are my favorite games on the DS, and (in my ever humble opinion) have the best storyline and character progression of any game made in the last few years. Kyle Hyde (the main dude in these two games) is one of my favorite game characters ever. I love this series. They are unlike anything else I've ever played.

I did get Hotel Dusk at launch, I put a few hours into it, and then shelved it. Maybe I'll pick it up again and give it a raz.

What disappointed me was the lack of a hockey title on the DS. There was backyard sports hockey but I don't count that.

Dragon Quest IX is an awesome game! Add 5 and 6 as this is the first time they are available in North America.

That aliens DS game has my attention... Especially as it is $5 right now on a sale.

Both Ouendan games (Japanese imports) and Elite Beat Agents (not an import, not quite as good, but the same premise).

Best rhythm games I ever played. And probably most frustrating, too.

Also, I didn't see anyone mention Puzzle Quest yet. That game is strangely addicting. Didn't think the other games in the series were quite as good as the original, though =/

I've got a lot more, but I don't have time to make a big huge list right now.

That aliens DS game has my attention... Especially as it is $5 right now on a sale.

Where??

I was thinking of picking that up, it's been $20 everywhere...generally I like to try before I buy, but I can't get that one to work on my *ehem*.

Both Ouendan games (Japanese imports) and Elite Beat Agents (not an import, not quite as good, but the same premise).

Best rhythm games I ever played. And probably most frustrating, too.

Also, I didn't see anyone mention Puzzle Quest yet. That game is strangely addicting. Didn't think the other games in the series were quite as good as the original, though =/

I've got a lot more, but I don't have time to make a big huge list right now.

Where??

I was thinking of picking that up, it's been $20 everywhere...generally I like to try before I buy, but I can't get that one to work on my *ehem*.

I'm in Canada... it was a special at Zellers. They had a BOGO event on some of the bargain bin software and the Alien game was $9.99. (I did end up with Thor and Doctor Lautrec for the 3DS for $10) If the deal is still on tomorrow, I may pick up Aliens and something else.

I'd like a list of all arcade ports or compilations for the DS. Its hard to find one and I hate wading through the hundreds of entries on other sites. Anyone know of a good list like this?

(Actually I'd like one for GB/GBC/GBA too)

Here's a list of what I'm aware of for arcade games and other classic gaming collections on the DS. I don't yet own the two Game & Watch Collections, have no interest in the Mega Man Zero Collection, hated Retro Atari Classics like most everyone else, and I don't usually play Namco Museum DS (The PSP collection has largely superceded the GBA and DS Namco releases for me). But the other half dozen games listed here all see routine use by me and I recommend them highly.

Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1

Atari Greatest Hits Volume 2

Contra 4 (Has the arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra)

Game & Watch Collection Volume 1

Game & Watch Collection Volume 2

Intellivision Lives

Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits

Mega Man Zero Collection (A bit of a stretch I suppose since I think they're all GBA games)

Namco Museum DS

Retro Atari Classics (Stay far away)

Sonic Classics Collection

In addition, I know there are several Ys games and Final Fantasy games available that are remakes of past games. And several console classics have seen standalone releases like Yoshi Super Star. And then you have games like Metal Slug 7 and Contra 4 that are done in the style of classic arcade games.

The list of classic rereleases on the GBA is a long one (And if you include the GB/GBC it's huge and would take a lot of effort to put one together particularly if including imports). But looking just at compilations and just those available on the GBA in North America, the ones that I'm aware of that are of any real interest to anyone are Activison Anthology, Atari Anniversay Collection, Capcom Classics Mini Mix (It's rather limited in scope and I only like 1 of the three included NES games, but it's nice playing Bionic Commando on a handheld), Game & Watch Gallery 4 (A continuation of Game & Watch remakes started on the original Game Boy), both Namco Museums, Pac-Man Collection, Phantasy Star Collection, and Sega Arcade Gallery (The Afterburner port is poor, but the other three are well done),

And of those, I've played all of them except the Phantasy Star Collection and enjoyed them (And my impressions are that most people liked the Phantasy Star Collection well enough). My favorites were the Activision, Atari, Konami (Worth purchasing even if you own the DS collection), and Sega collections and I think all four are must have games for GBA owners. And they all still see fairly regular use to this day by me although I'll often go with the PSP Activision compilation instead of the GBA release since it's more up to the task of emulating the more complex games like HERO and River Raid.

I've never bothered with any of these due to their reputations, but I feel safe in saying to stay far away from Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits, Sega Smash Hits (And it's not a compilation, but stay far away from the standalone Sonic the Hedgehog port as well), and the various small Atari/Midway Collections that bundle two or three classic games. All were recieved very poorly on the GBA and I doubt you'd get much enjoyment out of them.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'm surprised noone mentioned "The World Ends With You". Quite possibly THE most original game Square-Enix made in the past half-decade. Extremely difficult (due to having to fight two battles at once on both screens and making use of one side of the physical controls and the main character being controlled by the stylus), but great soundtrack, Nomura's art style fits the game perfectly (takes place in an urban Shibuya, Japan), great soundtrack, and very unique gameplay elements that I'll describe below.

In the game, name brands and trends affect attack/defense. Wear clothes and/or use pins of a brand in an area it's popular at, and your attack/defense could be at 1.5x or 2x capability (depending on it being somewhat or very pouplar). The inverse can be said about unpopular brands (.25 or.50 effectiveness). You CAN influence popularity by fighting multiple battles to make a brand popular.

I'm in Canada... it was a special at Zellers. They had a BOGO event on some of the bargain bin software and the Alien game was $9.99. (I did end up with Thor and Doctor Lautrec for the 3DS for $10) If the deal is still on tomorrow, I may pick up Aliens and something else.

Zellers is still open in Winnipeg?

Zellers is still open in Winnipeg?

Yup... As of last week when I stopped in during a lunch break. I recall that the non-Target locations were going to last until just after the new year.

As for the target conversions, I'm guessing they will change at the same time.

But the bottom line for these stores is that their clearance sales have been underwhelming so far... But I'm only looking at the gaming stuff. Lol

Are the Target stores open in Ontario?