IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2012 - Results

skr

This is impossible to C64 guys as they just think/calculate things in pixel perfection not 2x2 and colour clocks.

I think that we will never see 'MK7' mode done by them.

What's missing is some "3D interested" coders, having a look at the A8.

It really seems the A8 will never get it's own glory ;)

Have a look at this:

C64 features used to their extends....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBegD7k2wvo

• Like 1

I'm not against 3D - I just have a set of requirements for what I do:

1) I'd rather it not be a demo - there's plenty of 3D demos and I'd rather do a game

2) If I'm going to do a game I'd rather it be in a genre I like

3) It has to run at a playable, fun speed on the given hardware

so given that I'd rather not do a wolfenstein clone, don't really like dungeon crawlers and star raiders is a bit of a classy act to follow I'm not sure what I would do given the constraints of 8-bit machines.

I'm open to suggestions on that front though

wow.. its this effects possible on atari xe/xl? :)

That's the wrong question ;)

"Is such presentation quality possible , using the extends of the Atari 800 features" , would fit better.

That "Jump" part at the end. is the only one, direct adoptable , using "G2F" without kernal, to have enough cpu power for a Digi track (Mod like)... the high sounds can be played through POKEY's generators.

You know, it is possible to load from Disk, using 2 channels plus a digi channel... or even playing a whole Digitrack during IO activities ....

The hires parts could be exchanged with 3d actions, as you know, the A8 can do real 3d depth 360° rotations fluently....

You always have the possibility of making a transition effect, while the DL is to be changed, using PM Graphics and GTIA registers.

Btw: a brown white 4 colour Mole should be THAT problematic ;)

Yeah, some of the efx are possible. BUT, we should stop trying to copy games/demos from C64. Getting inspiration from them, YEAH, but no copy.

Using A8 features (Not necessarily 3d, emkay :) ) is the better way.

I might try one or two of these efx. But the presentation/design of the demo as a whole is what amazes me the most.

@emkay: sound and even digi while loading might be possible, however, I was advised NOT to use interrupts in the loading screen of MJO, cause it interferes with hi-speed SIO.

In such a case its not a big problem, as I can make two versions as it is only the loading screen, but in a demo or in-game?

BTW, I tried "popmillos 16col"-mode with digi playback (15KHz) seems to work. If I have enough time left you might see it mid November ;) But that is the last prio for the HAR'em - final release

EDIT: We should start a new thread. Its rather off-topic now.

Edited by Creature XL

A new topic is a good point. But "off topic" is not the correct term. After Yoomp! really did hit the surface, it was presumable that people go into this direction with new prods/games. But things really don't change.

So contestants have some inspirations right now ...

possibly - but the topic does at least prove the point of these competitions. We got some new games to play and people are throwing around questions and ideas because they were inspired.

If I can find someway to rebalance my home/work life I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for next year - but my track record is well known for that...

well the chessboard... first in my head was using the 256 color palette and not dithering on A8 ;) but what impressed me most in this demo is the beginning (well... I used to love the the transition of loading screen towards the demo intro. then next impressive stuff was imho not the 3d part but the bull eye part and next was the really good executed greetings part... well the jumping part might be good for c64 guys but does not impress me much on A8 ;) double sid plus digi ;) but on c64 it might be technical advanced.

• 4 weeks later...

> 4. MazezaM - 344 Punkte

:-) thanks :-)

here version with:

1. SELECT for level skip

2. HSC

3. I/O Music

XXL should the new version of Mazezam work on a 1050 drive? It copies ok but when it loads it stops after a few seconds and then goes to self test? :(

XXL should the new version of Mazezam work on a 1050 drive? It copies ok but when it loads it stops after a few seconds and then goes to self test? :(

Well,

try this (single-file) version, done by Homesoft for me some days ago. Tested it on the emulator as well as a real 1050 drive with Speedy and it works ok...

-Andreas Koch.

mazezam2.zip

What's missing is some "3D interested" coders, having a look at the A8.

It really seems the A8 will never get it's own glory ;)

Have a look at this:

C64 features used to their extends....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBegD7k2wvo

That demo is superb, even hough I'm sat here racked with pain from my messed up double hernia operaion I'm still enjoying it. Really lovely graphics and clever xforms, class all the way.

Making a very painful man feel a little better.

Well,

the original version by XXL (with multiple files, XBIOS and Mazezam) already had the highscore feature. I simply wanted a single-file version of Mazezam which Homesoft did for me. Maybe this single-file version from Homesoft has to be loaded from DOS for the highscore to be active, maybe the single-file version does not have the highscore option at all... I do not know and did not test this.

One can find the updated version of Mazezam (multi-file version) in post nr. 10 in this topic. This one should work on a real 1050 and should also have the highscore option... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin