IGNORED

What are your top favourite standard releases?

TheCurlyBard

There are lots of threads around here about Homebrew releases, which is cool, but how about the standard general releases? I know that most of you have been playing Coleco for years but its pretty new to me so there are still a whole bunch of games that I've not played yet.

So far I've bought and played mostly the obvious first games for the system. My favourites are Frenzy, Space Fury, Venture and Zaxxon. I'm impressed with Donkey Kong but after spending a fair amount of time playing it on MAME I can't really get into the CV version.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Looping, the controls where too fiddly for me although I will give it another try soon. I found carnival to be pretty dull.

I've just placed an order for Mr Do! and Q*bert, Q*Bert looks like an excellent port and Mr Do! just looks like fun.

So what are your favourites? What hidden gems have likely not heard of yet?

- 2010 - The Graphic Action Game

- Antarctic Adventure

- Bump 'n Jump

- Frogger

- Gateway to Apshai

- Gyruss

- H.E.R.O.

- Mr Do

- Mr Do's Castle

- Montezuma's Revenge

- Pepper II

- Pitfall II - Lost Caverns

- Popeye

- Roc 'n Rope

- Root Beer Tapper

- Spy Hunter

- Star Trek - Strategic Operations Simulator

- Star Wars - The Arcade Game

- Time Pilot

- War Games

My favorite original release CV games that I own are:

Carnival

Lady Bug

Mr. Do!

Omega Race

Pepper II

Roc 'n' Rope

Tapper

I'd like to own Star Wars - The Arcade Game, Spy Hunter, and Up 'n' Down some day as I enjoy playing them on the CV in emulation.

Well there are lots of games on here that I've not looked into yet, keep them coming guys

Okay, well, these are not among my personal favorites, but they are still highly recommendable:

- Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress

- B.C.'s Quest for Tires

- Beamrider

- Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom

- BurgerTime

- Cabbage Patch Kids - Adventures in the Park

- Centipede

- Congo Bongo

- Defender

- Donkey Kong Jr

- Fathom

- Galaxian

- Gorf

- Keystone Kapers

- Lady Bug

- Miner 2049er

- Moonsweeper

- Mouse Trap

- Nova Blast

- Oil's Well

- Pitstop

- Rock 'n Bolt

- Super Cobra

- Tarzan

- Tutankham

- Up 'n Down

- Wing War

EDIT: I could also add "B.C. II - Grog's Revenge" to the above list, but I'm not sure if you will like it or not, as it requires a rather surreal mastery of the joystick. Suffice it to say it's a pretty difficult game.

Also, I should point out that seeking out the best commercial CV games from the early 80s is great for a guy who's just discovering the ColecoVision, but you definately shouldn't dismiss the homebrew CV scene! Amazing stuff has been released over the last few years, and there's plenty more to come! :)

Omitting what you already own:

Pepper II (great game, and as far as I'm aware the only home version out there)

Ladybug (intense, awesome game, lots of action and strategy)

Beamrider (also great on the 2600 and the Intellivision)

Centipede (if you don't have an arcade-accurate version already or the 7800 version, which is mint and has 2P co-op)

Donkey Kong Jr. (ditto the above comment -- the NES version is mint)

Frogger (best version other than Genesis, which is arcade-accurate)

Front Line (requires the Super Action Controller)

Jungle Hunt (arguably the best version out there, if you liked it in the arcade)

River Raid (I prefer the 2600 version, but still a great game)

Smurf Rescue and Cabbage Patch (if you have young kids)

Cosmic Avenger (quite good if you like Scramble/Super Cobra type games, and again the only home version out there)

I haven't had a chance to get any Homebrews yet, as many are sold out, but they look promising.

Enjoy!

Edited by DoctorTom

Well I have my standards

Pepper II just awesome and a lot of fun to play.

I love Bump 'n Jump from Intellivision so of course the colecovision one is awesome as well. You have to play harder levels to get all the fun of the game as everything is not on the easiest level. For those that love Pac man, I have always thought Lady bug was more fun to play than pac man.

I was always addicted to Q-bert especially the later levels where landing on a block more than once can ruin the board and you have to think to get it right.

I know it is not part of classic system because it is a prototype but playing joust even without the sound is very cool to see all the different things that I never saw playing atari version

And finally my most surprising new love after playing it on HSC is Threshold. Absolutely love it and to me it feels like a combination of asteroids and space invaders.

EDIT: I could also add "B.C. II - Grog's Revenge" to the above list, but I'm not sure if you will like it or not, as it requires a rather surreal mastery of the joystick. Suffice it to say it's a pretty difficult game.

I don't find the control pad as bad as I thought it would be. The only real problem that I have is finding a comfortable way to use the 2 side buttons.

Also, I should point out that seeking out the best commercial CV games from the early 80s is great for a guy who's just discovering the ColecoVision, but you definately shouldn't dismiss the homebrew CV scene! Amazing stuff has been released over the last few years, and there's plenty more to come! :)

Oh I'm not dismissing them, there are loads that I want to check out and I will be buying some physical releases soon. I'm really surprised by the quantity and quality of new releases that this machine gets, I def made the right choice when buying this console. I only really looked into it to fill a gap in my collection, but there are so many great games that either I can't play on anything else or the CV versions are vastly superior.

I don't find the control pad as bad as I thought it would be. The only real problem that I have is finding a comfortable way to use the 2 side buttons.

What I meant to say is that even if the joystick on the ColecoVision controller was the best joystick ever created, Grog's Revenge could still give you trouble. Picking up clams on the ground requires extremely precise maneuvering (you have to line up your stone tire perfectly or else you roll right by clams without picking them up) and you have to do this without running into the background wall, falling over the edge, and without running into rocks on the ground. When I was a kid, my reflexes were good enough, but today playing Grog is just an exercice in self-inflicted humiliation for me. :P

What I meant to say is that even if the joystick on the ColecoVision controller was the best joystick ever created, Grog's Revenge could still give you trouble. Picking up clams on the ground requires extremely precise maneuvering (you have to line up your stone tire perfectly or else you roll right by clams without picking them up) and you have to do this without running into the background wall, falling over the edge, and without running into rocks on the ground. When I was a kid, my reflexes were good enough, but today playing Grog is just an exercice in self-inflicted humiliation for me. :P

That's how I felt when playing it and I never bothered to play it again. I am not into self humiliation. :)

That's how I felt when playing it and I never bothered to play it again. I am not into self humiliation. :)

Why not? Sometimes self-humiliation is one of the most gatifying forms of humor... especially for the people around you. I know everytime I wake up in the morning and look in a mirror, I feel pretty damn humiliated. :skull:

My favorites list looks like this:

1) Telly Turtle

2) Memory Manor

3) Logic Levels

4) Linking Logic

5) Learning with Leeper

6) Amazing Bumpman (Number Bumper)

7) Alphabet Zoo

8) Brain Strainers

9) Word Feud

10) Slurpy

Let's see someone top that list of favorite games.

• Like 2

:lol:

I don't see what's so fun about my favorites list and really take offense to your response....... :P

All kidding aside, I now many will disagree with me on this one, but my personal favorite is Super Action Baseball. SAB is the one an only game that my father actually sat down and played with me and he got pretty good at it even considering all the extra buttons that he had to learn how to use on the Super Action Controller. So for pure nostalgic sake, it's SAB.

The rest of my list (Top 10) would look like this in no specific order:

- Mr. Do!

- Donkey Kong

- Turbo

- Pepper II

- Tutankham

- Q*bert

- Spy Hunter

- Tapper

- WarGames

- Galaxian

1. FRENZY

2. NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO #1

3. SMURF RESCUE

4. ROCKY SUPER ACTION BOXING

5. FRENZY

I remember thinking as a kid that Frenzy was boring but I also know that I always played the games at the easiest level and never really tried the hard levels. Is that where it gets more exciting?

Since you have taken up 3 of your favorites with one game :)

Top 5:

1 - Cabbage Patch Kids - "Super Mario" before Mario was super. Great game. If you can beat the dreaded level 23, you're headed for more adventure!

2 - Frenzy - Great arcade sounds, great player controllability.

3 - Tapper - Great fun. My fiancée loves to play this one with me.

4 - Montezuma's Revenge - Blocky but adventurous—and just you try to make a jump without cramming your leg through your throat!

5 - Burgertime!!! - Was way late on adopting this one. I remembered the Intellivision version being a big hit, but this really should've been played up by Coleco marketing when it was released.

Others I love:

• Defender. Very challenging. Super game play.
  • Destructor. Love the arcade noises. Great original in-house game by Coleco. Get yourself the "SCE" version.
  • Frogger. Dare I say the best arcade port at the time it was released. Still love it.
  • Gyruss. Again, great arcade port. Great audio too.
  • Lady Bug. Highly underrated fun. Big complaint is with the movement around corners.

Underrated gems:

• Pitstop. It's challenging and gameplay is super creative. Love it.
  • Star Trek. Love the sci-fi challenge of this one. Only wish it had Spock's digitized voice in there like the arcade!
  • Space Panic. One of the first releases by Coleco. Great arcade sounds. Simple but fast, fun, and furious. A true finished product.