IGNORED

"New" 5200 joystick from Best?

Coleco

Saw this on Best's homepage and wasn't sure if it was really new or if it was something that never materialized or something old like the gold upgrade:

Coming this Week an announcement on a New Best exclusive Atari CX52 Joystick Upgrade

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Clearly the webpage isn't updated that often. Any insight?

Are you talking about this new part?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52.htm

Yeah, I know it's off topic but man that website is one of the worst to navigate still online today. Dude, let someone upgrade that for you. It's still possible for him to edit it like text using SSI. Someone could easily design the site to be nice looking yet simple for him to edit. He could keep just writing the text he wants and uploading as regular old .txt files, and it would all format nice for like a standard site with tables and margins without any hassle or programming skills. Server side includes can be tagged just like a picture to appear within a specified table. Edit the text file, and just the one table cell changes. It would keep it neat, and still allow him to do it the way he always has (not worrying about change).

• Like 3

I'm sure he could reasonably argue that he's already reaching as large an audience as he's likely to get, and since the website is already doing its job well enough by that definition, it wouldn't be worth putting any more resources into it. Besides, the last time I talked to him, it sounded as if he was working around the clock just to keep up with his orders. It's great that they're doing good business, but it probably doesn't leave them much extra time to work on the website.

• Like 1

Maybe they're going to start producing their own redemption adapters.

Edit: It's definitely not the gold contact stuff because the wayback machine doesn't have that statement on the page in their last archive of the site in July of 2011.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110707225949/http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Yeah, I know it's off topic but man that website is one of the worst to navigate still online today. Dude, let someone upgrade that for you. It's still possible for him to edit it like text using SSI. Someone could easily design the site to be nice looking yet simple for him to edit. He could keep just writing the text he wants and uploading as regular old .txt files, and it would all format nice for like a standard site with tables and margins without any hassle or programming skills. Server side includes can be tagged just like a picture to appear within a specified table. Edit the text file, and just the one table cell changes. It would keep it neat, and still allow him to do it the way he always has (not worrying about change).

In all my years of collecting I have never purchased from Best...not because of any other reason than their website. I have always feared that 90% of their merchandise listed is no longer available. This is greatly in part due to the fact that it never looks like it is updated...rather, it seems like stuff is added all the time, but nothing is removed. It is terribly complicated to navigate as well.

I would bet that if they spent just a few dollars redesigning the site, they would make their money back and then some within the first month...money from me, and others like me who have reluctantly avoided them for so many years.

• Like 3

Best really needs to update their website. Even something made in Microsoft FrontPage would be better.

Honestly, I've actually considered buying from Best several times before, but their site actually dissuades me from from it. Every time I go to their site, I end up saying "to hell with it." It's a headache to look at and try to navigate and deal with.

It's kind of a cool throwback, I suppose. But as a functional business tool, it needs to go.

• Like 2

Ahh good ol Best. Yeah, the site looks like a geocities page. He's got great merchandise, but a very terrible delivery method(ie the website). With all the modern ecommerce solutions out there, there's no excuse not to modernize up.

Like I said before, I bet someone with a modern ecommerce website could charge higher prices for the same merch and would get more business. SSL? Taking credit card orders? Whaaaa?