IGNORED

The secret of Men-A-Vision revealed!

Thomas Jentzsch

Has anyone else considered taking up this project? At least take a look at records and sources that are publicly available, such as city directories, incorporation records, etc.

This would require that someone be local to the Los Angeles area and willing to put "boots on the ground"; not everything can be done online.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to AtariAge. :)

We are looking for someone who can shed light about the game Air Raid by Men-A-Vision or can provide a contact. Also any feedback about our theory that it the Mena family (who also owned a toy shop right besides the jewelry back then) is related to the game would be welcome.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Well, my grandfather owned the jewelry store and my father and uncle ran the toy store. My grandfather unfortunately passed away 7 years ago. I will try to get further information on this as my uncle still lives in LA. My parents and I are in Florida for over 20 years so not much I can do there other than ask my father about this whole Men-A-Vision Game that I believe was created by a programmer that my family knew back then, don't have a name though. I was just a toddler/pre-schooler when the stores were still open till about the mid and early 1980s. May I ask what's the deal with this game or why so much interest? I understand it used to work with an Atari, but didn't think nothing of it.

• Like 6

Thomas,

I'll let my father know of this and get back to you. Can't promise anything at the moment, I just came across this and I see my family's name businesses all over these blogs and the location, it sorta creep me out and wondering what the heck is going on. I appreciate the wikipedia link and the fact that it was a rare game itself being that it's a unique item. I used to roam around those two stores with my family, but it was short lived unfortunately during my life. Talk to you soon.

• Like 6

Here are some questions I think would be interesting:

1. What is the story behind Men-A-Vision and how it got started?
  2. The only game that has been found so far is Air Raid, was it the only one released?
  3. The box it came in mentions looking for more games from Men-A-Vision, do you recall what else might have been planned?
  4. Did you advertise the game for sale? (Magazines, Newspapers, Other)
  5. Was the game sold in any other stores? If so can you recall which ones?
  6. On the side of the box was the code “M707”, this seems a little odd for a product code. Does it have any special meaning?
  7. How many Air Raid games were manufactured and sold?
  8. The cartridge casings are very unique with the T-handle and blue coloring. What is the story on how these came about and where they were made?
  9. Who was the programmer for the Air Raid game?
  10. Who did the art work for the label and box and is there a story behind it?
  11. Did you hang on to any of the items involved in this production? (Cartridges, Game Manuals, Advertising, etc)

@Waggie: Thank you for responding what you guys were looking for. I'll reach out to my dad here and my family in LA with those questions and see if I can get a response soon. I'm trying to remember as a 5 year old if I ever played it. I know I had a ColecoVision back then, but I'm sure Air-Raid wasn't available for it. my cousins had Atari's I think. So let me check on this.

@Thomas, no worries. I'm not running away from this. I'm just shocked over 30 years later, this is being talked about. But as a kid that I was, I don't remember much if I ever played this game or not. If i did, it must have been at my uncles or at the toy store.

@Waggie,

I sent those question via email to my father, and we'll see what he finds. He does remember being part of it with an old friend that was oriental (his name was Tony), who were friends many years ago. Don't know if Tony was the programmer or not at this moment. But whatever my dad does, whether contacting my cousins or his brother, I'll see what transpires. He's saying there """might""" be a copy or 2 from my grandfather's basement from his old home. Luckily for us, my family in LA still owns the home. My dad said, no one has gone into his basement for years. So like @funknflow5200, I'm grabbing my own set of popcorn bags too.

Just don't keep your hopes up everyone...this is something that happen over 30 years ago. I don't want to disappoint if nothing shows up on my end. This is totally new to me, at one time I thought it was a joke a number of years ago when it was brought into a conversation..now i know it's not a joke. This is real. As it is, when I had a colecovision, nintendo, old computer, I never kept any of them, i just either sold them off or threw it out if it wasn't working. Since I never had an Atari, i never came across owning the Air-Raid game. So, all I can do is my best to see if anything appears. At least we've gotten this far.

• Like 1