IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 19 Robotron 2084

zylon

Our game this round is Robotron. Gameplay will be default difficulty with dual controls, but you may play any style of control you wish: ie- single stick, etc. (I'll do what I can)

Emulation is fine if and pics preferred but not required.

A8 version will be allowed for remainder of the round, but you should mention using it.

Round ends on Sunday November 25th, 2012 @10pm EST.

HSC RECORDS: Bust'em if you can for a bonus point.

Robotron 2084 -

(Level 1) (2 Controllers) jetset 518,200 (BUSTED)

NEW: 555,150 sdamon

(Level 1) (1 Controller) sdamon 71,100 (BUSTED)

NEW: 95,425 JacobZu7zu7

Final scores:

555,150 sdamon +1+11=12

513,775 skosh +10

511,775 darthkur +9

351,025 Gabriel +8

329,250 chuckwalla +7

268,650 roadrunner +6

130,800 NIKON +5

104,925 Liduario +4

95,425 JacobZu7zu7 +1+3=4

71,100 zylon +2

51,925 peedenmark7 +1

post-25215-0-58776100-1352692962_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Boo, I can't get my emulator (Jum52 on Mac OS X) to work with dual sticks. I have Player 2 joystick mapped to the right stick on my dualshock clone, but it's not working. :(

You may use "single-stick" if you wish, but all scores will be categorized together. I'll only make a distinction if someone beats the HSC record for single-stick mode.

You may use "single-stick" if you wish, but all scores will be categorized together. I'll only make a distinction if someone beats the HSC record for single-stick mode.

Single-stick just isn't the same.

I've only recently discovered Robotron, but I was always a big fan of Smash TV and Total Carnage back in the day. The control scheme is a foundational part of these games. I thought the SNES ports were most excellent and they worked quite well using the diamond formation BAXY buttons for directional fire.

Single-stick just isn't the same.

I've only recently discovered Robotron, but I was always a big fan of Smash TV and Total Carnage back in the day. The control scheme is a foundational part of these games. I thought the SNES ports were most excellent and they worked quite well using the diamond formation BAXY buttons for directional fire.

If it's any consolation, you can try to beat me at least. I'll be using mostly one hand. I seem to have my best results so far with one stick and a small C-clamp on the fire buttons. ;)

I'll have to sit this one out. I've tried three different emulators and can't get it to work. On two of them I can't fire and on the 3rd, Altirra, I can fire, but my figure walks down to the right bottom corner of the screen and stays there.

Is the 8-bit computer version allowed on this one? It works...

That's the emulator I use. It works...

msg-32348-0-25201100-1349125284_thumb.png

I'll have to sit this one out. I've tried three different emulators and can't get it to work. On two of them I can't fire and on the 3rd, Altirra, I can fire, but my figure walks down to the right bottom corner of the screen and stays there.

That's a tough call. If you're using emulation, I'd say yes because it would operate exactly the same. On original hardware I'd say no as even my bad scores are typically 2-3 times higher on the A8 version. Of note though, the top few score already posted are above and beyond what was put up last time A8 played this game.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm fine with opening this up to Atari computer hardware. Since alternate 5200 controls are allowed (like the dual Comp Pros I'm using) as is emulation, it only seems fair. Users with just standard 5200 controllers are at something of a disadvantage, but at least opening it up to 8-bit computer users gives more people a shot at higher scores.

I thought that the 5200 and the 8 bit versions were the same program since the 5200 is essentially a 8 bit computer ( Atari 400 ) . Maybe I am incorrect in my conclusion.

This version is alot different then the 7800 version and the arcade version... it is alot easier to bump into enemies...I am not doing well with this game on the 5200.

(I use emulation)

Edited by NIKON