IGNORED

Voltage Video Games - Syracuse, NY

Metal Ghost

Is anyone familiar with them? I didn't even know they existed until last night, when I stumbled on a placed ad in the xbox360achievements.com website. And the population of gaming stores in Syracuse is pretty limited, so I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of them (though I am glad that the Game Crazy in Carousel Center is still open....I thought they had closed, but they'd only moved).

Anyway, their site can be found at www.voltagevideogames.com . If anyone has been there I'd love to hear about the experience.

I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping to be able to drag my wife with me for a few minutes before or after we stop at Kitty Hoynes for lunch on Saturday (they were just on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives last night.....mmmmm!), but we'll see how that goes :)

Vic - out of curiosity, how had you heard of them a few months ago? Were they already advertising at that point, or did you hear of them through the grape vine or something?

I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping to be able to drag my wife with me for a few minutes before or after we stop at Kitty Hoynes for lunch on Saturday (they were just on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives last night.....mmmmm!), but we'll see how that goes :)

Vic - out of curiosity, how had you heard of them a few months ago? Were they already advertising at that point, or did you hear of them through the grape vine or something?

I was going to Syracuse for a James Taylor concert and used the interwebs to search for game stores. They had a site up, but the store wasn't open yet when we walked by :/

Nice, fill us in on what you find!

I went in there this afternoon...nothing really spectacular, selection was quite small but the place was pretty clean. I talked to who apparently was the owner, very very nice guy & seemed to be serious about the shop. They had some 2600 games but they were all very common; Game Craze has a better retro selection (including Lynx games!) but he did say they would be getting more stuff very soon. I'll be checking back.

I went in there this afternoon...nothing really spectacular, selection was quite small but the place was pretty clean. I talked to who apparently was the owner, very very nice guy & seemed to be serious about the shop. They had some 2600 games but they were all very common; Game Craze has a better retro selection (including Lynx games!) but he did say they would be getting more stuff very soon. I'll be checking back.

Yea, based on the pictures on their site I'm not too surprised (i.e. looks like a pretty small place). It's nice to know that the owner (?) is 'stand-up' however and the place is well thought out. Downtown Syracuse definitely needs a lot more stores like this. I'd have to imagine that a better location would be down closer to Armory Square. Maybe right by Soundgarden....that seems like it would be a good tie-in. But rents probably increase exponentially the closer you get to Armory. Either way, even if their retro scene is pretty small, I'll be looking to support them with a game purchase for the Xbox 360 then. I'd hate to see a game store that could grow into something a lot better fail out of the gate. As I said before, there aren't nearly enought of them in this area.

• Like 1

I agree downtown is extremely lacking minus the bars... Sound Garden I have not been there in years, since I don't buy cds or dvds anymore. One thing I will say is that it's great to have determined people & this guy seemed to know his stuff quite a bit (though he didn't even know Halo 2600 has been released!!).

Have you checked out MicroGames in Clay? Now that is a great store with lots of stuff... nothing really rare or whatnot, but they sell plenty Atari stuff & had some 5200 games last time I was there.