IGNORED

Ultimate 1mb / Side 2

lotharek

Can you explain more about this nice and expensive desoldering tool? :)

It has a built-in vacuum pump and it is well balanced to prevent arm fatigue when using it. The quality of hakko is well known, but of course yes it is on the expensive side, but certainly more affordable than a metcal one.

Btw, I have heard good things about this manual one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731 but haven't tried it. But it is less money.

I have both U1MB and SIDE2. With the switch on the SIDE2 up, I turn on the machine and get the loader screen. Works good.

But if I put the switch down to SDX mode, the system hangs.

If I remove the SIDE2 and just power up with the U1MB I get the SDX prompt so working good.

So why is SIDE2 SDX mode hanging? I haven't flashed in the PBI bios yet...could that be causing the hang?

Are you turning off the U1MB SDX when activating SIDE's SDX? If not, you'll experience problems. If you have U1MB there's not really much need to have SIDE in SDX mode anyway.

Are you turning off the U1MB SDX when activating SIDE's SDX? If not, you'll experience problems. If you have U1MB there's not really much need to have SIDE in SDX mode anyway.

Ah thanks, I turned it off for U1MB and now it loads from SIDE and sees all the partitions.

Extended Memory

System

SpartaDOS X

Stereo Sound

COVOX

SIDE hardware

SIDE PBI ID

BASIC slot is

XEGS GAME slot

I wrote down the U1MB Setup options...is there a guide explaining each one? For example, I set the System option to "Stock OS" because I am not sure what the other ones do.

When I get the U1MB flashed with the pbi bios I assume I need to turn "SIDE hardware" option on?

Ah thanks, I turned it off for U1MB and now it loads from SIDE and sees all the partitions.

Good. :)

I wrote down the U1MB Setup options...is there a guide explaining each one?

Unsure... Most are pretty self-explanatory. "Stock OS" is the (presumably late) revision standard XL/XE OS which comes pre-flashed to the ROM. The others include the Hi-Speed OS, which is identical to the stock one but with high speed SIO code, and QMeg, which is a German custom OS with advanced features. Really it comes down to seeking out and reading the documentation for the custom OS you want to use.

Extended memory... should speak for itself. Most of the others are "on" or "off" and are self-explanatory.

When I get the U1MB flashed with the pbi bios I assume I need to turn "SIDE hardware" option on?

Correct. Turning on SIDE hardware makes the machine think that an attached SIDE cartridge is a PBI device with its own handler ROM. Therefore any drivers on the cart itself are no longer required, and you should put the cart switch in LOADER position (not SDX position) when SIDE hardware is enabled in the U1MB BIOS menu. To clarify: when SIDE hardware is enabled in the menu, the SIDE cartridge itself is no more than a CF card slot attached to a set of IDE hardware registers and a button which the PBI code can detect (for the purpose of disk volume swaps).

Edited by flashjazzcat

I flashed the chip with a eprom burner. So what I am expecting to happen now?

Here are my U1MB settings:

Extended Memory: 1088k RAMBO

System: Stock OS

SpartaDOS X: Enabled

Stereo Sound: Disabled

COVOX: Disabled

SIDE hardware: On, with button

SIDE PBI ID: 1

BASIC slot is: BASIC

XEGS GAME slot: Missle Command

Now when I turn on the computer I get this message:

Ultimate 1MB PBI BIOS v.0.3

Then the system hangs..I can press Help+Option then Reset to get into the U1MB setup screen, so maybe I need to change some setting?

This is how I set the image to be made up:

u1mb.jpg

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

If you don't have a SIDE or SIDE-II plugged in, then change SIDE hardware: to Disabled...

I do have a side 2 plugged in. If I disable sdx at the ultimate setup screen, then the system will either go to the xex loader or sdx depending on the side 2 switch. But when I set sdx enabled in the ultimate setup, then I get the hang that I described above.

I do have a side 2 plugged in. If I disable sdx at the ultimate setup screen, then the system will either go to the xex loader or sdx depending on the side 2 switch. But when I set sdx enabled in the ultimate setup, then I get the hang that I described above.

post-10165-0-58986900-1368393617_thumb.png

SDX446a should not be added to the ROM file it is not compatible with anything except. SIDE2 cartridge.. Leave the sdx446a.rom out and put in the SDX446-ultimate.rom..

Well everything was working until I discovered the integrated xex/atr loader wasn't functioning. But rdea6 came up with the files needed and now it is working.

This was discussed in the other thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210572-sio2sd-questions-and-comparison-with-side2/page__st__25#entry2754322

question:

i have table, drives A,B,C,D..

how i can copy file in A,B from PC?

can i use CF CARD.. with photo-camera or else? partition will be destroyed? i dont see any changes if i mount CF card on PC..

how i can run ATR file from SIDE LOADER? i see D1 IS NOT MOUNTED..

thank you :)

Copying from PC: there are three options 1) sio2pc or similar 2) makeatr and mounting the atr file created with this program with matr (thnx fjc!) and then copying. 3) creating an image from your cf card and copying files to it using Altirra, then copy the image to cf again. The third option might be the fastest one in some circumstances.

D1 not mounted is showing up if your pbi bios is not present / not compatible with loader, so you'd have to flash your u1mb (what you already did as far as i know ;))

hm, interesting.. i create partition and copy some files them..

why i must make another ATR file and copy to CF card if i have file on partition? - which is not visible on card reader on pc? thanks :)

Sorry I get it wrong, so you want to copy from SDX partition to PC. Then you can use aspeqt and mount a folder which will be visible as SDX drive, or alternatively sio2bsd and PCLink driver on SDX (which is also cool especially if you like Unices).

Another way is to follow FJC's descriptions of how to configure APT + FAT16 (there was a cf card image prepared by Jon somwhere). This is an idea I've to test. But i don't know if it's possible to create One FAT16 partition to be visible on a PC and by using FAT16 driver under SDX, and another one FAT32 partition to be used by side loader. As I understand it's still a work in progress which is going to be available somwhere in the future.

Or something which works now: put the ATR in the FAT32 area, use the XEX loader or MATR to mount the ATR on a drive number, then copy from APT to ATR or vice versa at c. 20KB/s. There's really no need for serial solutions when you have:

Ultimate 1MB's PBI driver (or Incognito, for that matter)

PC card reader

The SDX FAT driver would be somewhat more convenient again, since it eliminates disk images altogether, but it's a WIP as greblus says. My side of things involves modding up FDISK so that it's easy to plant references to the FAT area right inside the APT partition table.

• Like 2

So I have most of this working. I have U1MB installed, XF551 on drive 1, SIO2SD on drive 2, and the SIDE2 partitions starting at drive 3 and going up.

But my intention with the XF551 is to be able to boot real disks, but it won't read them when I power on. Only if I detach the SIDE 2 cart before powering up will it start to boot of the drive 1 floppy.

Is there any way to boot off the floppy drive without having to remove the SIDE 2?

COLD /N

Nope, thanks for the tip, but I just tried it and no go...when I enter COLD /N it says Error: no DOS

If I detach the SIDE2 and type COLD /N then it works. Now I don't want to have to always plug and unplug the cartridge...can it be done?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

You've got the boot drive set to D3:? If so, the machine is still trying to cold boot from that drive. Try booting with shift or select pressed... I forget which. I wanted to see IDE Plus-like boot override options in the U1MB menu, but it hasn't happened yet.