IGNORED

Ultimate 1mb / Side 2

lotharek

Yesterday a friend of mine gave me the new (from Lothar) "Ultimate 1MB", plus a "stereo final" upgrade to install on his 800XL. Finally I was able to place it, near the initially position as on first batch from Sebastian.

To avoid the bunch and also to look better, I cut and remake the ribbon cables to optimum lengths. Also placing in this position the pcb, battery socket on bottom used as a second foot for better support.

Because I have make this upgrade in my 2 Atari 800 and 600 XL, I will let you know cause the Lothar edition, is impossible to fit on this place as is in stock form! I mean with standard IDC connectors on ic sockets. Maybe someone has a better luck using angled ones.

I attach some pictures above without comments. Please take a look... ;)

IMG 8137 3200

IMG 8142 3200

IMG 8169 3200

IMG 8176 3200

IMG 8179 3200

IMG 8188 3200

IMG 8198 3200

IMG 8200 3200

IMG 8203 3200

IMG 8205 3200

IMG 8208 3200

IMG 8215 3200

IMG 8216 3200

IMG 8232 3200

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

The Ultimate 1MB boards won't fit in the position Candle advocated when using Lotharek's new IDC OS ROM connector, since - as you've demonstrated - the connector won't fit under the U1MB board. I discovered this fact in almost the exact same circumstances a while back, and was told that the new boards are intended for fitting above the RF modulator, or in some other position away from the OS ROM socket (in an XL machine). This assertion is reaffirmed by the fact the new boards do not ship with screws, nuts, or plastic standoffs.

The IDC connectors aren't an issue in XE machines, it seems, but I've also been told that the MMU IDC connector causes clearance issues with at least one model of XL keyboard. I certainly hadn't expected this... but you might want to test fit the lid as well. ;)

I've passed all these findings onto Lotharek already. My personal preference was for the harting connectors - especially when fitting in an XL machine. I believe an AA member was offering to make up custom MMU/OS cables using the low-profile connectors a while ago.

Edited by flashjazzcat

@flashjazzcat

I can confirm cause placing the Lothar's version of Ultimate 1MB in 800XL with my way, the upper lid close perfect! ;)

Side day by day becomes more interesting. :)

Ok, I make an open proposal to all from here. Taratarataraaa... :-D

If Sebastian support this, how will see the idea for an internal version of Side especially for Ultimate 1MB XL owners? A version without the SDX and real time clock. Only the main circuit in a form which could placed inside the computer directly to the cartridge slot with no solder points :twisted: :thumbsup:.

In upper side of pcb there will be one cartridge connector free to place any other cart on the fly. Of course Sebastian must modify his firmware code as to allows to disable the Side. Maybe within Ultimate setup menu??

Edited by santosp

I think I proposed something similar to Candle a while ago. Potential issue is where to put such a board, when so many major IC sockets already have things plugged into them... For that reason the cart slot adapter idea is interesting. However, I'd want one which fits in a 1200XL. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

If changes are to be made to the firmware, it would also be great if the OSS carts like Mac65 and Basic XE are emulated.

Stuff like this is done in Xilinx firmware and requires a special programming cable; outside the scope of any PBI BIOS changes I'm making. :)

Anyway: PBI ROM now detects SIDE2 and supports CF card hot-swapping. Gonna take the rest of the night off. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Question for the SIDE 2: Does it matter what CompactFlash card is used? I see Type 1 and Type 2 are different thicknesses. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash shows various revisions up to 6.0 for the specification.

On ebay some say 60x, 150x, 400x, Ultra, Extreme, etc. Are all these compatible?

Question for the SIDE 2: Does it matter what CompactFlash card is used? I see Type 1 and Type 2 are different thicknesses. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash shows various revisions up to 6.0 for the specification.

On ebay some say 60x, 150x, 400x, Ultra, Extreme, etc. Are all these compatible?

Only Type1

Ok thanks. Any size limitations? I was looking at a 2GB one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820208484

I don't know of any limitations on size, of course with the Atari there is no need to get a massive one. 2 or 4 GB is huge considering the standard 90K floppy.

I wouldn't pay for speed either. A 1x (150 KB/s) is much faster then any Atari can go. I think SIDE clocks out at 62 KB/s for reads?

Hello Candle,

A goldcap would last for a week or two weeks you claim. That's just very good.

What is the real use of keeping time longer in an Atari computer? For a PC it makes a little more sense, but really not that much.

If I switch my Atari off and don't switch it back on in two weeks, it's no problem to have to set the time again. I have plenty clocks in my house.

To me, it's much more anoying to have to replace an empty battery.(once in two or 3 years) And disposing of the battery in a correct way is also a bit more hassle.

This is also a bit like why only have 1MB or 16Gb CF card. More than 1MB is hardly usefull and any CF that's there is just easy.

Hello Flashjazzcat,

Thanks, but I'm aware of where functionality resides in the components. (I happen do have done some work on the Freezer)

When reading this thread, looking at interesting ideas and support software, I thought it might be worth adding some other ideas as well.

I do however agree that my remark suggested a lack of insight on my part. :) So thanks, I've learned a bit about how difficult communication can be.

And now I've used emoticons, because I think that's what's missing sometimes. I cannot see your face when I make a remark. So I don't get a hint on what I missed out on.

Communication is much more than 50% non verbal. (Or written)

I appologize for this off topic bit, but it does help me at least. ;-)

Good job you couldn't see my face when I read post #119, but in any case - no problem. Please don't take my simple clarifications as any attempt at belittlement. I make no assumptions regarding your knowledge level. I can only state facts, and if a smiley is taken the wrong way - I can't help it. I've long asserted that there's no such thing as irony in forum posts, and by George if this isn't proved time and again... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I finalized the installation in a XEGS. It works fine as such. :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

But the behaviour is different from that of a standard XEGS.

I mean, without a keyboard is doen't start Missile command but Basic.

But I can activate the game by dissabeling Basic.

Changes? Two 16K games instead if 4 x 8K ones would also be a nice option. ;-)