IGNORED

Just picked up the Game Boy Player startup disc

shadow460

I paid $1 for the disc at Vintage Stock

Such a deal! The disc is worth more than the player, as so many careless people lost them.

You're in for some serious fun! That thing whoops the Super Gameboy. The Super Gameboy was really, really cool in its day, however.

Yea I'm pretty sure normal cds read from inside out but the GBP disc reads from outside in and I believe it has a verificvation code on the outer ring that it reads thats burned into the disc. Can't remember for sure. I was researching burning one awhile ago as I seem to get them in all the time w/no cds.

That's one of the things I read. There's not really much discussion on it on the web as you might think. Several people wound up going the SD-Gecko route like I said. Luckily, I got a GBP/GCUBE bundle off ebay that had the disc.

SD/Gecko sounds attractive for when the Game Cube laser finally does fail. IMO, Nintendo hardware usually screams quality, so I'm not betting my the laser failing for a long time.

I've read that Game Cube discs are burned partially into the burst cutting area near the spindle hole, and this aids in copy protection.

I guess they copy protected the disc for standards sake. Can't see why they'd need to otherwise, as you'd still need the GBP hardware for it to work.

All Gamecube discs were burned that way. You can get the disc on ebay for $25 on average. Some less, some more. I think it's worth it if you have the dough.