IGNORED

Power Lords & Lord of the Dungeon

Atari_Bill

As far as i know Boulder Dash for the Atari 2600 can't be copied. I believe the rom won't work on a harmony card.

Then, this is exactly what we need to do with CV

I understand people more than they though actually

Me too, have to buy homebrew games and not only CV, NES too, and when you miss a release, then it SUCKS! :x

Prices for NES are becoming more and more crazy actually..... :|

At least with NES, the rom file is more offen release

So yeah, I'm for rom release!

however, don't get me wrong, cartridge is my favorite personal choice! Complete in Box to be exact

So, I play roms on multicart on the real machine and not using my personal copy that stay in my lovin collection..........

Emulators sucks!

Ok....

But thing is, for CV.. the rom should work with the Atarimax SD cart but NOT on PC, wich will prevent making physical copies out of the rom

Sure, someone who own the physical cart could always make a copy but at this point,.. Who would buy a bootleg copy when you can play it with your SD cart for ALOT less?! That would be pointless!?

If it's only about value and investment it becomes a bit like stamp collecting, and has little to do with love for retro gaming.

Its not that its only about value and investment, but there is a bit of pride that I have with my collection and if it was just a bunch of worthless pieces of plastic that everyone in the world has, I don't know if the pride I have in my collection would be there if everyone had it. I enjoy looking at my collection and saying wow only 4 people in the world has this, or only 80 people have this. I can get and play roms for any system and play them all on a nice arcade machine with a super nice front end, and that will let me enjoy retro gaming and that is a bunch of fun, but as a collector that is not the same as having the original cart. If you miss the original release as a real collector I enjoy the hunt to try and track down that game and yes it cost more but its a great feeling when you finally get it. I can't tell you how happy I was to finally get Ghost n Zombies! I stared at that game like it was my "precious" for weeks. So yes it hurts when someone just take that rom slaps it on a cart and then makes me feel stupid for hunting and paying a bunch of money for that game. I think it spoils game collecting by just keep making a infinite amount of carts, you remove the whole collecting aspect away and you end up with a plastic bottle cap collection(everyone has bottle caps & nobody says wow what nice bottle caps you have).

By the way I'm still trying to hunt down Pyramid Warp & Battleship Clapton II but I have not seen that pop up anywhere. Yes I can play the rom on my xbox but I want the real game for the Colecovision. When I do track that game down I pray that I'll have the money for it at that time and when I get it will be a super happy day for me. I really look forward to that day. That is what collecting is about to me.

I guess it comes down to what is peoples definition of retro game collecting?

Most of CV games released recently can be tested. They are mainly MSX or SG1000 port , so try the rom on an MSx or a SG1000 emulator and you will have a good idea how it works on C.V.

I didn't think about that. Thanks. :)

I don't understand though, how is it helping a developer if someone is paying $350 (I'm assuming eBay) for Ghosts and Zombies?

How much have the yellow cart Pac-Man Collection carts gone down in value because of a ROM release?

If 500 emails and personal messages have been sent regarding interest in Ghosts and Zombies, then isn't it time for a variant cart to be announced in the future? It's just a suggestion.

I don't see many ROMs holding their value :) Physical Copies of games do. This may fluctuate a bit, but I doubt anyone has lost money on selling Ghosts and Zombies.

I didn't think about that. Thanks. :)

I don't understand though, how is it helping a developer if someone is paying $350 (I'm assuming eBay) for Ghosts and Zombies?

How much have the yellow cart Pac-Man Collection carts gone down in value because of a ROM release?

If 500 emails and personal messages have been sent regarding interest in Ghosts and Zombies, then isn't it time for a variant cart to be announced in the future? It's just a suggestion.

I don't see many ROMs holding their value :) Physical Copies of games do. This may fluctuate a bit, but I doubt anyone has lost money on selling Ghosts and Zombies.

Truthfully it is too early to know if the rom release will affect prices for pac-man because it was just released within the last month or so.

Sure you can say the demand is there to do another run of Ghost and Zombies but maybe the programmer and the producer would rather keep doing new stuff rather than releasing something they already did.

It still comes down to personal choice and demand of time when it comes to re-releasing something.

Truthfully it is too early to know if the rom release will affect prices for pac-man because it was just released within the last month or so.

Sure you can say the demand is there to do another run of Ghost and Zombies but maybe the programmer and the producer would rather keep doing new stuff rather than releasing something they already did.

It still comes down to personal choice and demand of time when it comes to re-releasing something.

You can do both at same time, new stuff, and re-releasing stuff

Thing needed (for me at least) , DEMAND

Why should I make new batch of X game if there's not much demand?

Then, if there's demand, the programmer MUST be agree to let the publisher make a new batch

I think my version came from you as well way back when I first found and joined this forum.

Pretty much possible if you also got the Pyramid War too wich I think you got? Right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read that you have not played it yet, so yeah, it was you who I sold my copy of GnZ

Edited by retroillucid

That's a good point, at the end of the day it is the Developer's choice. I like having things available for people to play though. I collect Transformers too. TAKARA has kept the plastic molds pretty active. A person today can still get an 1984 version Optimus Prime. It's a new production run, with a new date stamp. The originals have kept their value.

Again:

I respect the developers to publish games as they see fit.

But I'm also pretty damn excited to see a green Luigi cart for Mario Bros. More people can play the game, and I get to buy a product from a developer. This is important, I want the developers to get paid for their work.

Pretty much possible if you also got the Pyramid War too wich I think you got? Right?

Yup, back when you had extra materials to make extra games I got the left over old ones that I didn't have because I think I joined this forum some time after Ghost and Zombies was sold out.

I found the forum by just searching for colecovision games and found the mario bros from collectorvision and you still had those so during that time I joined the AtariAge and put a wanted post out there for

Ghost and Zombies and Ghostblaster and that was how we met. :)

Funny thing is that before I found mario bros and atariage while I was searching for games I found this guy that wanted to sell his games.

He gave me a list and I chose what I wanted.

I got Space Invaders collection, Sky Jaguar, Power Lords, Escape from the Mind master, Super Donkey Kong, Super Donkey Kong Jr

I didn't even realize these were all hard to come buy games and the guy didn't ask for outrageous prices. It was pretty good hall for having no idea what I just bought

• Like 1

Yup, back when you had extra materials to make extra games I got the left over old ones that I didn't have because I think I joined this forum some time after Ghost and Zombies was sold out.

I found the forum by just searching for colecovision games and found the mario bros from collectorvision and you still had those so during that time I joined the AtariAge and put a wanted post out there for

Ghost and Zombies and Ghostblaster and that was how we met. :)

Funny thing is that before I found mario bros and atariage while I was searching for games I found this guy that wanted to sell his games.

He gave me a list and I chose what I wanted.

I got Space Invaders collection, Sky Jaguar, Power Lords, Escape from the Mind master, Super Donkey Kong, Super Donkey Kong Jr

I didn't even realize these were all hard to come buy games and the guy didn't ask for outrageous prices. It was pretty good hall for having no idea what I just bought

YES! I all remember now! :)