IGNORED

Ultimate 1Mb Upgrade

spookt

attachicon.gifUBIOS14MB.ROM

This is one of my older Pre Uflash and has the older menu. Not sure of the PBI bios. But you could test with Altirra [EMU] to verify..

Thanks! This is the the newest non-FJC ROM I've seen so far, according to the ROM Generator version numbers: BIOS 0.03, SIDE loader 1.20, PBI 1.1. The question is if I have the nerve to install it :)

I've tested it in Altirra, but the emulated U1MB has the v2 CPLD code so it won't tell me if this BIOS will kill my v1 U1MB.

Presumably the revision and revision date for the main BIOS are heuristically generated (it contains neither, and the older, PBI-less main BIOS produces the same revision date as "0.03": 04/06/2012), but it is a late revision. Clearing out $D100-$D1BF doesn't appear to hang the machine, but I don't want to be the one to tell you to pull the trigger on it. :)

• Like 1

Pull the trigger, what's the worse that can happen?

That you need to buy a TL 866-CS/A and a PLCC adapter and a chip extractor and burn the flash via PC?

Been there than that ..... it's an extra 50/60US$ at most but you get to keep the programmer and the PLCC adapter and the chip extractor :D

Annoying? yes ..... fun? that too!!!!

At a point I also thought to have had an earlier CPLD code (from L not C) and as suggested by Lotharek here it comes a Xilinx programmer and the Xilinx programming tools (all 14GB of them wtf) and the flywires to connect it and ..... I already had v2. In this second instance thankfully a friend lent me everything needed and I got to keep all of it (he was getting tired of FPGAs and gave away most of his stuff).

• Like 1

I'm sure everybody is tired of hearing about my U1MB-flashing phobias, but here's the final update: I customised rdea6's ROM with the ROM Generator, then used uflash to install it...

...and it works. Anticlimactic, I know. The only (minor) problem is that I can't get the game slots to work, but SDX 4.48 and Altirra BASIC 1.51 are present and correct, as are all four OS ROMs.

Thanks to all for your help and support!

• Like 1

You'll need to put the U1MB into XEGS mode (by jumpering the XEGS pins) as well as using the XEGS OS to use the game slots.

It was already in XEGS mode, but I worked out what the problem is: it's still acting as if there is only one slot for BASIC and one for games, using what uflash calls BASIC slots 1 and 2, so every time I tried to start a game it ran BASIC rev C instead. Possibly due to the old CPLD code?

Ultimate Setup now lets me choose between BASICs and games, but changing the settings has no effect. It also has a couple of SIDE settings now, but I assume those won't work.

I worked around the problem by flashing Missile Command to the BASIC 2 slot, so I'm happy for the moment.

It was already in XEGS mode, but I worked out what the problem is: it's still acting as if there is only one slot for BASIC and one for games, using what uflash calls BASIC slots 1 and 2, so every time I tried to start a game it ran BASIC rev C instead. Possibly due to the old CPLD code?

Ultimate Setup now lets me choose between BASICs and games, but changing the settings has no effect. It also has a couple of SIDE settings now, but I assume those won't work.

Oh yes: I ran into that issue myself a while back on an v.2 Candle U1MB. Turns out there was a bug in the v.1 and v.2 CPLD code which prevented any but the first BASIC (and possibly XEGS game) slot from working. Caused me a fair bit of head-scratching until I tried an early Lotharek board and noticed the issue had been fixed, so I propagated the CPLD from that board to the other three machines.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Oh yes: I ran into that issue myself a while back on an v.2 Candle U1MB. Turns out there was a bug in the v.1 and v.2 CPLD code which prevented any but the first BASIC (and possibly XEGS game) slot from working. Caused me a fair bit of head-scratching until I tried an early Lotharek board and noticed the issue had been fixed, so I propagated the CPLD from that board to the other three machines.

Aargh. Which means that there are actually three CPLD code revisions, two of which are called "v2," and the v2 JED I had to scavenge from the Internets because it's no longer available from anywhere official is potentially not the good one?

...you wouldn't happen to still have that JED around, would you?

Also, I can't thank you enough for uflash. It really puts a friendly face on a potentially frightening process; my U1MB would still be running my original ROM if it wasn't for that.

...you wouldn't happen to still have that JED around, would you?

Just pulled this straight off my 1200XL's U1MB:

U1MBv3_JED.zip

Also, I can't thank you enough for uflash. It really puts a friendly face on a potentially frightening process; my U1MB would still be running my original ROM if it wasn't for that.

If it makes the process less intimidating and less prone to failure, then it's accomplished what I set out to do. The exercise was initially for my own benefit, since when developing the old PBI BIOS back in 2012 or so, I was updating just a small part of the ROM on real hardware several times a day and the cobbled-together, hard-coded tool I was using clearly wasn't a permanent solution. Since developing the new main BIOS and loader as well, I've been updating these sections of the ROM on four machines (five counting Incognito) countless times and the only time I had to resort to the USB programmer was when one of the old PLCC flash ROMs apparently wore out (replacing it fixed everything), or when some show-stopping Incognito bug emerged (since there's no way to test the Incognito BIOS in the emulator). The MADS target folder is mounted in RespeQt via SIO2PC and I can have the firmware on the target machine updated within a minute of assembling the code. The same folder is simultaneously mounted in Altirra and I even update the emulated U1MB using UFlash with F1 held down. :) There are probably more sophisticated ways of updating the emulator ROM using make tools as part of the assembly process, but since I require the firmware slot ROM for real hardware anyway, I stick with the usual procedures. I doubt I would have felt inclined to develop complete new firmware for U1MB and Incognito had this flashing tool not existed.

• Like 4

Thank you! I can confirm that JED is different from the one I already had (lots of added PPMAPs, whatever they are :)). Now I'm really motivated to get that programmer working.

If it makes the process less intimidating and less prone to failure, then it's accomplished what I set out to do.

What I like most about uflash is the user interface: starting any process that takes time immediately provides a reward in that beautifully-rendered text mode progress bar, for example. First impressions are important.

Partial flashing is the killer feature, though; I wouldn't have dared replace the whole firmware if I hadn't successfully flashed an OS ROM earlier.

Sterling stuff.

• 1 year later...

I can use some help. I finally installed my Ultimate 1MB and I believe I have the V1. When it boots up I get QMeg OS. Cannot seem to enter any setup menu. I tried pressing HELP on powerup or reboot and it doesn't work. I want to update everything to the latest firmware. What all do I need to do? I have an EPROM programmer, what chip type is the chip that needs to get programmed? I assume I need to upgrade the JED on the board too? Any help is appreciated!

Edited by tjlazer

I can use some help. I finally installed my Ultimate 1MB and I believe I have the V1. When it boots up I get QMeg OS. Cannot seem to enter any setup menu. I tried pressing HELP on powerup or reboot and it doesn't work. I want to update everything to the latest firmware. What all do I need to do? I have an EPROM programmer, what chip type is the chip that needs to get programmed? I assume I need to upgrade the JED on the board too? Any help is appreciated!

You won't need an EPROM programmer it can be updated in software:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/

After updating, hold help down while pressing RESET that will get you into the U1MB setup.

Edited by Sugarland

You won't need an EPROM programmer it can be updated in software:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/

After updating, hold help down while pressing RESET that will get you into the U1MB setup.

I will remind people:

Note: Owners of Ultimate 1MB with the original v.1 CPLD code from Candle’s first run of boards must ensure that they update to the current JED prior to installing the new BIOS. Boards with the PBI feature (including all manufactured by Lotharek and those from Candle’s second run) will safely run the new BIOS without modification.

• 7 months later...

Someone should do a V4 to remove the XEGS slots and add them to the OS/BASIC slots for non XEGS users

I'm not all that interested in more BASIC or built-in game slots myself but a few more open OS slots would be brilliant.

• 6 months later...

Bumping my own thread.

I finally got my Xilinx programmer installed and connected to my U1Mb today. I can communicate with the chip. If I select 'erase' in impact and then reboot the Atari I get a brown screen (as expected).

I programmed the chip with the v2 JED which I grabbed from this forum and impact reports a successful write and verifies successfully. However, when I reboot, the U1Mb menu still looks exactly the same. No PBI options. Hmm. So I tried the v3 file which FJC uploaded. Good write reported, good verify - still the same menu from the U1Mb.

I did a read back of the chip to a file and after stripping the 2 line header the md5 sum of the readback is identical to the v3 JED I downloaded.

So - have I missed a step? Should I see new menu options? Can I safely flash the new firmware?