IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

I am somewhat annoyed!

Recieved my parcel from France today, opened it.. AND THERE ARE ONLY 54 little green bits of foam!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone This is just not acceptable!

If they hadn't put that bloody Atari Jaguar game in there, there would have easily been enough room for 64 little green bits of foam! worse it has even squished some of the 54!! When will I get my 64 bits of foam!?

:D

Yeah mine turned up today! top notch packaging game box is pristine, just wish I had more time to play it now! well done guys!

(and yes, I did count the packing peanuts :D )

• Like 6

Got mine from the post office today, it arrived yesterday but it seems that I didn't hear the doorbell or something :-/ and now I must wait until tonight to play it. Very much looking forward to it.

BTW I did not count the bits of foam but the game box looks fantastic.;-) Very well done!

Edited by PeterG

I am somewhat annoyed!

Recieved my parcel from France today, opened it.. AND THERE ARE ONLY 54 little green bits of foam!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone This is just not acceptable!

If they hadn't put that bloody Atari Jaguar game in there, there would have easily been enough room for 64 little green bits of foam! worse it has even squished some of the 54!! When will I get my 64 bits of foam!?

:D

Yeah mine turned up today! top notch packaging game box is pristine, just wish I had more time to play it now! well done guys!

(and yes, I did count the packing peanuts :D )

Surely you mean there were only 32 bits where you were expecting 64 :grin:

• Like 5

After spending some time yesterday with the game I can share a few thoughts.

As many others already said (myself included) this is a really nice release. Aside from the box you can see that a lot of effort went into the release with a nice booklet with quite a few languages. (The game also let's you choose different languages, although in this game it is not that important but still nice.) The only downside to the box is that it catches fingerprints rather easily but I don't mind that and I don't think it is to dark either. It really does look good on my shelf. The label is perfectly applied to the cart. Everything screams quality so from the outside this is a really good example of a quality release. Guess Jagfans can be quite sattisfied with the releases of Impulse x on cart and Another World this year.

Concerning the game I made a few surprising experiences. I remember playing the game back in the day but now I realized that I never made it very far. (More and more games of my childhood came up like that lately, where you have fond memories and then see that you didn't even make it through the game. :-)) Well I did yesterday and I had a great evening although the game can be quite frustrating. It's interesting that I remembered it a bit more fluidly like Flashback (which is not that fluid to start with :-)) I hoped that the speedy mode would help with that but I can't imagine how anyone can play the game in this mode since some of the fights and jumps and whatnot need quite some timining. Maybe this was added only to be able to get past some of the more tedious parts of the game.

Speaking of which the game has a few drawn out parts and it shows it's age while it is perfect in other aspects.

Every time I fell down a hole I wished, I could hold on to the ledge like in Flashback. So some of the parts are a bit to much tapping the joypad in the right direction instead of moving on but still I could not let go because I wanted to know how it goes on. And knowing that the game itself is not that long it made the frustrating parts endeurable because I died a lot. But there was only one part of it where I thought the game is broken. You have to blast a hole in the ground and I did not know how or that it must be done and I was to stubborn to look it up on a walkthrough, so I lost a lot of time there. But aside from that I enjoyed it very, very much how you come up to the solutions after some time and trying out different things and failing. Didn't think I still have the patience for trial and error but you are rewarded with a few really nice moments and quite a few nice comedic moments. (On a sidenote I had a interesting bug. Underground where you have to evade the monsters in the ground and on the ceiling I had an interesting death, where my protagonist split in two. One was killed with leg in the ground, while the other still had his running animation and fell down or something. That was odd but only happened one time)

My critiscism for the speedy mode aside I do like very much that one can choose language, game mode and evrything on the fly. I like looking at the original vs improved backgrounds.

I was thinking how a modern remake would look like but then I remembered how dissapointed I was with the Remake of Flashback, so maybe it is just nice that we finally got the Jaguar version.

Thanks for this release!

• Like 1

PeterG, thanks for your review. I am really happy to see that people appreciate our work.

Regarding the speedy mode, here is the story.
I had a meeting with Eric in february 2012 where I showed him the (almost) final version so that he can give me his criticisms.
During the meeting, I showed him this hack to demonstrate the raw power of the Jaguar (he was clearly astonished that the game runs so smoothly).
As he had lots of fun to finish the game this way (yes, he did it!), we finally decided to incorporate this hack to final release.

• Like 1

Hey Seb,

yes I am really happy that the game is out now and you can be proud of the work you've done. It is also nice that the creator of the game himself had fun with it ( does he own a Jaguar himself now;-))

Well I could imagine that if anyone beats the game in this mode, it must be Eric. Heh, well I thought it would be the modern way to speed things up in between because there are a few scence quite painful like in the end dragging along the pavement. But to play it at this speed...instant death :-) And for those who can do it. It is over in ten minutes. ;-)

Edit: And thanks for sharing this story, it is always interesting to hear stuff like that. I didn't know it was intended merely as a hack, I thought it was supposed to be a alternative to play the game. But I started in standard anyway because I wanted to experience the game as it was intended.

Edited by PeterG

PeterG, thanks for your review. I am really happy to see that people appreciate our work.

Regarding the speedy mode, here is the story.

I had a meeting with Eric in february 2012 where I showed him the (almost) final version so that he can give me his criticisms.

During the meeting, I showed him this hack to demonstrate the raw power of the Jaguar (he was clearly astonished that the game runs so smoothly).

As he had lots of fun to finish the game this way (yes, he did it!), we finally decided to incorporate this hack to final release.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for including that mode.

Hey Seb,

yes I am really happy that the game is out now and you can be proud of the work you've done. It is also nice that the creator of the game himself had fun with it ( does he own a Jaguar himself now;-))

Well I could imagine that if anyone beats the game in this mode, it must be Eric. Heh, well I thought it would be the modern way to speed things up in between because there are a few scence quite painful like in the end dragging along the pavement. But to play it at this speed...instant death :-) And for those who can do it. It is over in ten minutes. ;-)

Edit: And thanks for sharing this story, it is always interesting to hear stuff like that. I didn't know it was intended merely as a hack, I thought it was supposed to be a alternative to play the game. But I started in standard anyway because I wanted to experience the game as it was intended.

Buy an Amiga :P

• Like 1