IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

Well, I thing that hqx2 is probably too much time consuming for the Jaguar. But something simple like scale2x seems reasonable to me: I need to experiment.

If you were going to do a simple x2 scaling couldn't you just use a Scaled Bitmap object? Or are there issues with those and interleave? (I never tried). Be nice if the backdrops were native 640x400 but sounds like sizewise and compression arn't making that possible (unless there is some modern compression algo that could be ported to the jag?)

I imagine the polygons in 640x400 would look really nice though and after all those would be the main focus of the game. Interesting challenge :)

You can do that, but the background is going to look pixelated.

By the way, there's no need to run the scaling algorithm in real time (which would indeed be too slow on the Jaguar): the only things that need to be scaled are the backgrounds, and they're static. So you just have to run the scaling algorithm once when the background changes :)

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 3

Yeah, to my understanding a simple doubling would basically look the same as sticking with 320x200 with bitmaps... the screen is stretched to fill the screen anyway, so you'd have big pixels when running in 320x200 or in 640x400. So a better scaling option would have to be found.

Or, if only cartridge memory is the problem, and not the RAM, a bigger cartridge might be a solution.

If there is a viable solution will be up to you Jag-pros, all I can say is that sharper, more detailed graphics thanks to 640x400 would be amazing. :)

You can do that, but the background is going to look pixelated.

By the way, there's no need to run the scaling algorithm in real time (which would indeed be too slow on the Jaguar): the only things that need to be scaled are the backgrounds, and they're static. So you just have to run the scaling algorithm once when the background changes :)

Ah guess the algo you are talking about is a bit more aliasey :D

If there is enough ram I'd suggest scale the backgrounds for the screens that are the likely exits from the current screen, so there is minimal pause.

At the moment there is on available on eBay but even if the auction ends in 6 days, it is yet far form £350 as you can see by yourself:

MhF7.jpg

Keep in mind there is a waiting list for a possible reissue so I do hope this time speculators won't make easy money :/

Edited by Felyx

At the moment there is on available on eBay but even if the auction ends in 6 days, it is yet far form £350 as you can see by yourself:

He's referring to this other copy up now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Another-World-/301049562712?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4617f3c658

Whatever story you need to tell dude.

Hi guys, I'm the seller of the bin copy.
Firstly I have sold off 80% of my jaguar game in last six months, I no longer have my jaguar or my cd unit.
I got interested in Japanese saturn stuff and couldn't afford both.
Everybody knows that supply and demand affects the value of any items. I agree with save2600 add an extra 100 copy's to keep the value stable but just like all limited runs of games, not enought to go round and prices rise! There's more battlesphere's than another world out there !

Maybe try one step up from 320x200 or whatever it is now and work that out etc? Baby steps. Can the Jagtopus use the extra 2mb or whatever it is for cartridge that Atari never used?

I have just worked out a 640x400 version of Another World !

Everything seems to work well, except that I have no clue for the moment on how to make fit all the data in a 4MB cartridge (I think I would need about 8MB).

I buy games to play them. Collecting is an afterthought. 108 Stars is right about the sunfading part, though. I had a sealed copy of Kolibri for SEGA 32X that had one side end up almost pure white. I eventually just caved and opened that shit up.

As for the scalpers, I'm sure having a 'mass-produced' number of copies will deter that kind of crap. RGC should have sold several copies to Songbird and B&C Computers/BEST Electronics

Whatever story you need to tell dude.

We have all been waiting for this for like 9 -10 months (Probably more, I am not sure when pre-sales started). In that time situations and lifes can change. I say give him the benefit of the doubt unless you know something we do not know. I have no plans to sell any of my Jaguar stuff, but if that day ever comes I will try to get what the current market will bring. And I assume most Jag collectors would also.

Edited by Clay

Sent an inquiry in vie e-mail, got a response in just about a day.

They told me mine was sent out this last Monday so it should be

here soon...but I figure with a weekend, then the Christmas season,

it's gonna be after the holidays before it gets here.

Something to look forward to. :)

We have all been waiting for this for like 9 -10 months (Probably more, I am not sure when pre-sales started). In that time situations and lifes can change. I say give him the benefit of the doubt unless you know something we do not know. I have no plans to sell any of my Jaguar stuff, but if that day ever comes I will try to get what the current market will bring. And I assume most Jag collectors would also.

He's trying to get $480 for it........

• Like 5

And all this stuff supposedly happens right as he recieves it. Oh what a coincidence I'm selling all my Jag stuff anyway...

This is why Seb should sell a few reserve copies on ebay so he can make this cash, not these parasites who hold the community back.

• Like 1

And I hope he does not get it. His story does not ring very true now that I realise how much he is asking. Anyone even thinking of paying that much I would hope would do a little research first. Seems to me people tried a similar thing with Blackout with no takers.

• Like 1

I guess it doesn't really matter what you guys believe, you could always check out my items for sale and my feedback on eBay (same name as on here) you'll see my jag and cd went on 8th November! Lots of other games including my battlesphere gold, Gorf, Air cars all gone. What should I do with my Another world?

I guess it doesn't really matter what you guys believe, you could always check out my items for sale and my feedback on eBay (same name as on here) you'll see my jag and cd went on 8th November! Lots of other games including my battlesphere gold, Gorf, Air cars all gone. What should I do with my Another world?

You have the right to sell it, of course (and this makes sense in your situation if you decided to sell all your Jaguar related stuff).

But you could have chosen a lower price to sell it: here it seems that you bought the game just to speculate on its value.

Or why don't you add in your ad that it is possible to book a copy just by writing to the RGC contact address?

• Like 6

Well, I thing that hqx2 is probably too much time consuming for the Jaguar. But something simple like scale2x seems reasonable to me: I need to experiment.

Implemented Scale2x today. The result is very nice :)

Now I have to check carefully that the game indeed works well in 640x400. While playing at it today, my Jaguar seemed to crash but I am not sure whether this is a bug (maybe due to a lack of memory) or whether I just pressed the reset button of my Jaguar by accident.

There are also two speed critical parts in the game where the cost of scaling is a bit too high (I already had to hack these parts for the 320x200 version so that it runs smoothly: on the fly decompression was too slow there).

Edited by SebRmv
  • Like 7

Implemented Scale2x today. The result is very nice :)

Now I have to check carefully that the game indeed works well in 640x400. While playing at it today, my Jaguar seemed to crash but I am not sure whether this is a bug (maybe due to a lack of memory) or whether I just pressed the reset button of my Jaguar by accident.

There are also two speed critical parts in the game where the cost of scaling is a bit too high (I already had to hack these parts for the 320x200 version so that it runs smoothly: on the fly decompression was too slow there).

How are you planning to distro this? ROM download, or do we send our carts back to have them reflashed? :)

[Or, some of us could flash our own, hehe]

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

That was the question I was fearing, thanks for asking it :D

And I realize I opened the pandora box by working on this improved version.

For the moment, I have no answer. I have the feeling it is a bit too experimental to be burnt on a cart so maybe a digital release is more appropriate, we'll see.

Edited by SebRmv

That was the question I was fearing, thanks for asking it :D

And I realize I opened the pandora box by working on this improved version.

For the moment, I have no answer. I have the feeling it is a bit too experimental to be burnt on a cart so maybe a digital release is more appropriate, we'll see.

Overly complex way possibly could be to release a CD image that works with the assets stored in the original Another World cart, so it just has a new engine effectivly :D