IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

They say Heart of the Alien is "a somewhat unofficial sequel," which seems about right to me ... it's not by the original creator. Below is from the wikipedia entry. It would be nice to have a "real sequel" after all this time ...

Huh, that's weird. That's a confusing thing. To me 1) animations look about the same quality. 2) was he just pissed that it wasn't taking place DURING the game, and instead picks up from the end of the first one?

I guess I can see how he could feel, being that he created Another World completely by himself. From what I understood of the 'failure' of Heart of the Alien is that it is an extremely difficult game. I know several people that literally only wanted a Sega CD to play it (got one myself for that reason.)

Yeah, I'd read Eric Chahi helped with Heart of the Alien but ultimately didn't support it / acknowledge it was a sequel. It's a bummer, 'cause I love both of those games, but I don't see Heart of the Alien ever getting re-released outside of Sega CD other than an unofficial Amiga port I'd heard about.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of these carts for a little over a year. I wasn't active when it was released, so I'm scrambling.

I too emailed the developer, but short story is their seems to be no plans for another run ATM.

I would be willing to trade my spare Jaguar console (fully working... Just core console, no controllers or hookups) for a copy of this game. PM me if you're game.

I know this isn't the trade/sale forum, but hey it's true and seems to be on topic. Wish they'd make another run. I once beat this game on my Apple IIgs... How many can claim that? Heh.

Yeah, I'd read Eric Chahi helped with Heart of the Alien but ultimately didn't support it / acknowledge it was a sequel. It's a bummer, 'cause I love both of those games, but I don't see Heart of the Alien ever getting re-released outside of Sega CD other than an unofficial Amiga port I'd heard about.

http://hota.sourceforge.net

Still need the CD for the data files though.

Edited by leech

I would be willing to trade my spare Jaguar console (fully working... Just core console, no controllers or hookups) for a copy of this game. PM me if you're game.

Are you really that desperate to play it on the Jaguar? I mean, it's not like it hasn't been released on more than a dozen other platforms (hell, by this point in time, probably more like two dozen!).

• Like 1

Are you really that desperate to play it on the Jaguar? I mean, it's not like it hasn't been released on more than a dozen other platforms (hell, by this point in time, probably more like two dozen!).

Jaguar port is great, and I know, at least in the states, the 15th/20th year anniversary versions never had a physical release, so this version with the updated graphics option is awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah. The game is iconic, and it's one I had a lot of memories with... Albeit in other platforms (MS-Dos and Apple IIgs).

It has everything going for it tho as far as a Jaguar desirable... A Homebrew/port with a cool Dev story, a great game, and one of the best achievements on the platform from a technical standpoint.

So yeah, I'd gladly trade my spare working Jaguar for one. Any takers?

Not sure I'd call that desperate, compare the price of a loose Jaguar to the last 2 EBay auctions of Another World. He'd be coming out ahead on that deal.

• Like 2

Its apparent now that a new game of Another World's calibre that wasn't a shoddily handled limited release would easily clear 500 units.

Not really. Are there 100 more people clamoring for this? Looks more like it's changing hands between a few collectors.

It's taken 3 *years* to get to this point.

The license was for (I think) 400 units so it's a moot point, but I suspect if there was another run it'd sell to maybe 10 or 20 fans and the remainder to speculative resellers. Meh.

Of the dozen or so Jaguar owners I know of in Oregon none have a skunkboard except me. Despite them still being sold, after 3 revisions and apparently selling well. My thoughts are this is s microcosm of the larger situation.

And none of us have Another World. Which sold out it's two runs immediately.

Which sold out it's two runs immediately.

Because asshole re-sellers bought multiple copies. The problem isn't the number of units, it is that some people bought multiple copies to float on ebay. There are more than enough to go around to everyone who wants one if you remove these idiots.

• Like 3

Of the dozen or so Jaguar owners I know of in Oregon none have a skunkboard except me. Despite them still being sold, after 3 revisions and apparently selling well. My thoughts are this is s microcosm of the larger situation.

And none of us have Another World. Which sold out it's two runs immediately.

Sold out immediately? I was pretty late to the party, sent in my email and was told I was like #277 in line.. still got a copy from them.

Its apparent now that a new game of Another World's calibre that wasn't a shoddily handled limited release would easily clear 500 units.

Unless we get the analysis from the people who were shipping those orders (and have a sorted excel sheet that would tell us the total number of unique shipping addresses), it's just a rough guess whether there was even 300 unique buyers.

I was always curious, since this is as far as I know, the best selling jag release (post-crash) - what was the ratio between NTSC and PAL units sold.

Does PAL territory make up at least 30% of NTSC orders ? I presume that jag is right now, mostly an U.S. thing ?

I presume that jag is right now, mostly an U.S. thing ?

There are plenty of non-US Jag owners. And about 99% of the developers (meaning Cyrano Jones) live in the PAL region. So you'd presume wrong.

But I'm not quite getting what PAL/NTSC has to do with any of this?

There are plenty of non-US Jag owners. And about 99% of the developers (meaning Cyrano Jones) live in the PAL region. So you'd presume wrong.

But I'm not quite getting what PAL/NTSC has to do with any of this?

Coder's location is irrelevant - if you want to make your game globally available, it needs to support both regions, regardless of where you as a coder reside.

Like I said, since AFAIK this game is the biggest seller of post-crash jag games, this should provide the best estimate of active jag user-base distribution (NTSC vs PAL).

If you have a better idea how to figure out the current ratio of jag's PAL vs NTSC, I'm all ears.

Because asshole re-sellers bought multiple copies. The problem isn't the number of units, it is that some people bought multiple copies to float on ebay. There are more than enough to go around to everyone who wants one if you remove these idiots.

A "1 copy per buyer" rule on limited releases would fix this.

There is no reason for one person to own several copies of the game.

A "1 copy per buyer" rule on limited releases would fix this.

There is no reason for one person to own several copies of the game.

1. People group purchase to save on shipping.

2. Gifting.

3. The publisher, after outlaying so much cash to make them, just wants to sell as many as possible, as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd call that desperate, compare the price of a loose Jaguar to the last 2 EBay auctions of Another World. He'd be coming out ahead on that deal.

Yeah, I wasn't sure of the prices, and whether to consider inflated eBay prices or original game price to compare. Either way I thought that this might be 'the right thing' if there happened to be someone with a wonky Jaguar and a copy of this game. Also assuming neither of us are trying to play the eBay price gouging game we all resent. If someone came at me who was serious and made a case for price discrepancy, I'm sure I could throw something in to sweeten the deal.

I'm also always looking for ways to avoid spending actual money on this kind of material at any given time. Helps the marriage.

Is a piece of hardware that allows you to play most game roms on your machine a good comparison to a single game release though?

Absolutely. I believe It gives you an idea of your potential customer base. Especially for a high profile game available on other systems for pennies that people are still willing to pay lots of money for the Jaguar version.

Edited by JagChris