IGNORED

NYD 2k13

pps

Nice work everyone :thumbsup:

Hey I got a (1st) mention - that made my day :)

The IPC viewer scrambled the screen when loading pictures and locked up several times - but when I pressed break the load continued ok (130XE/1050); some of the pictures were too flickery to enjoy (PAL/CRT). Looking forward to being able to blow up some ships on Playsofts future game :)

p.s. Liked the little Dice game Sikor :thumbsup:

Programming question:

The IPC viewer scrambled the screen when loading pictures and locked up several times - but when I pressed break the load continued ok (130XE/1050);

Unfortunately I have no means of testing my programs on a real Atari, at least not yet. The break issue did not happen when I tested on Altirra emulator. I'm assuming the problem is a conflict between the disk load routine (TurboBASIC BGET command) and the combo DLI/VBI routine used by the PCIN graphics mode, that is only resolved by pressing the BREAK key. Is there any means to ensure that this doesn't happen when loading pictures? Also, is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Nice work everyone :thumbsup:

Hey I got a (1st) mention - that made my day :)

The IPC viewer scrambled the screen when loading pictures and locked up several times - but when I pressed break the load continued ok (130XE/1050); some of the pictures were too flickery to enjoy (PAL/CRT). Looking forward to being able to blow up some ships on Playsofts future game :)

p.s. Liked the little Dice game Sikor :thumbsup:

What device is your Atari loading from (APE or real disk)? What is your PoKey divisor set to?

What device is your Atari loading from (APE or real disk)? What is your PoKey divisor set to?

My ole' 130XE and 1050 drive (think it might be a modified one but I just use it as standard)... I wouldn't know where to find a PoKey divisor though I did get a pair of nail clippers and a set of golf tees in this years crackers :D

My ole' 130XE and 1050 drive (think it might be a modified one but I just use it as standard)... I wouldn't know where to find a PoKey divisor though I did get a pair of nail clippers and a set of golf tees in this years crackers :D

OK - the only reason I asked about the divisor is most people these days use either APE or AspeQt and they allow you to set the baud rate. I'm not sure why you would get a loading timeout when using a real drive. I do have my 1050 hooked up, so I can test this later this evening when I get home.

Shutoff DMA - might work. But generally you don't need a DLI active if there's a blank screen anyway. And DMA setting should have little difference for VBlank because it's inactive for that largish portion of the display anyway.

Emulation won't necessarily replicate it - a lot will depend on what method of SIO emulation is acvive, artificial speedup modes or patches will likely stop the behaviour.

I've been able to repro this in Altirra with SIO disk patch disabled at standard baud rate. The problem is that the VBI routine is taking too long. The custom VBI and the stage 1 system VBI combined take 8 scanlines, which is marginal timing-wise for 19.2Kbaud.

Now, this is rare enough that ordinarily SIO would retry and there would be just a small hiccup. Most of the time it does, and if you check the sector numbers you can see some sectors getting re-read. However, there is a specific failure case when the VBI fires just after the Complete byte that SIO doesn't handle properly. Due to a bug, SIO stomps one of its variables and returns success (Y=$01) with garbage data instead of a timeout error. A high-speed OS may handle this more or less gracefully.

I've been able to repro this in Altirra with SIO disk patch disabled at standard baud rate. The problem is that the VBI routine is taking too long. The custom VBI and the stage 1 system VBI combined take 8 scanlines, which is marginal timing-wise for 19.2Kbaud.

Now, this is rare enough that ordinarily SIO would retry and there would be just a small hiccup. Most of the time it does, and if you check the sector numbers you can see some sectors getting re-read. However, there is a specific failure case when the VBI fires just after the Complete byte that SIO doesn't handle properly. Due to a bug, SIO stomps one of its variables and returns success (Y=$01) with garbage data instead of a timeout error. A high-speed OS may handle this more or less gracefully.

So, would disabling the VBI during the load (that is, setting 546/547 to the default values), and then re-enabling it after the load (to point back to the custom routine), fix this problem?

OK, stupid question ...

Lines 1250 and 1260 in my IPC viewer program contain the routine for SETVBV (which I have in a string variable) ... how would these lines be modified to use deferred VBI?

Don't know the code, but if you use SETVBV from the OS then the difference is that the immeadiate VBI uses "LDA #6" and the deferred uses "LDA #7".

so it might be as easy as exchanging a "6" with a "7".

Made a small fix to IPC viewer, should not show garbage anymore, and hopefully the lockup issue is fixed. Can anyone test, please?

now loads fine (130XE/1050 drive) :thumbsup: still shows some garbage but then goes to black screen during picture load - directory function would look better with screen turned off too. Hope reporting this helped out :)