IGNORED

Kill the Lynx

Death Lynx

Although I never tried it in code, my understanding was that the writing and consequent reading of the MSTEREO register allows you to distinguish a Lynx 1 from a Lynx 2. For a Lynx 2 the value "sticks" whereas the Lynx 1 looses the previously written value as it does not have stereo support.

Edited by LX.NET

Wait... does the cart always tell the person using the system to switch from a Lynx I to a Lynx II or from a Lynx II to a Lynx I? If so, what purpose is that supposed to serve?

Is the user supposed to let the counter run down to zero on a Lynx I or Lynx II and then remove the cartridge and put it in the other Lynx system, and then it is supposed to break the second Lynx system?

Here are my thoughts on this: First of all, I wrote down all of the messages that appear in the program. I’ve corrected grammatical errors for clarification purposes. Here are the messages given by the Death program:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Message 1:

Some things are pointless. Some things are dangerous.

Message 2:

Curiosity killed the cat

Message 3:

This program will kill your system. It activates a bad line command that will destroy Suzy.

Message 4:

This bug is called “!OZ Bug!”

Message 5:

A hardware bug that is triggered using the dual statement

#defin BUT_OUTER 0X1

#defin BUT_PAUSE 0X1

and which causes the destruction of the processor

Message 6:

Proof that I don’t lie?

Message 7:

(If you are running the program in a Lynx I, it will read:)

Your console is a LYNX I. Put the cartridge in a Lynx II and see that I do not lie.

(If you are running the program in a Lynx II, it will read:)

Your console is a LYNX II. Put the cartridge in a Lynx I and see that I do not lie.

Message 8:

Now you know.

Message 9:

Every man is the architect of his own fate. Make your choice and have the patience of Job. Be brave but never mad.

Message 10:

The !OZ Bug! starts when the counter reaches 00.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, message 7 above does not make much sense at all. First, the program tells you that it is a program that will kill your Lynx system and that it will do so by activating a bad line command that will destroy Suzy. It then describes the activating of the bad line command as a bug named the !OZ Bug! Then, the program asks you if you want proof that it is not lying, and if so, then you need to put the cartridge in a Lynx II if you are using a Lynx I, or you need to put the cartridge in a Lynx I if you are using a Lynx II. The confusing part is that the program does not tell you when you are supposed to do this. If you turn off the system at the screen that tells you to switch Lynx systems and then switch the cart, what is that going to prove? It certainly won’t prove that the bug will destroy your Lynx system, since the program says that the bug won’t even be activated until the counter reaches 00. Thus, it seems that the program is telling you to switch from a Lynx I to a Lynx II or from a Lynx II to a Lynx I after you have already let the counter run down to zero on the first Lynx system.

It does, indeed, all sound like bull crap to me, but if a person really wants to test it to the fullest, I would say that you need to let the counter run down to zero on a Lynx I and then turn off the system and load up the program in a Lynx II and then let the counter run down to zero on the second system and see if that breaks the second system.

Edited by BenjaminStevens

The problem might be that your copy of Blue Lightning is resurrecting your Lynxes. Maybe if rygar put in Blue Lightning or any of the Epix games in his Lynx I maybe it'll might resurrect his Lynx since they use the Suzy chip a lot. I know it sounds crazy, but I do appreciate Der Luchs demonstrating testing this bug out.

Wait... does the cart always tell the person using the system to switch from a Lynx I to a Lynx II or from a Lynx II to a Lynx I? If so, what purpose is that supposed to serve?

Is the user supposed to let the counter run down to zero on a Lynx I or Lynx II and then remove the cartridge and put it in the other Lynx system, and then it is supposed to break the second Lynx system?

From what I gather, the program is trying to earn your "trust" by showing how smart it is (i.e. knowing what kind of Lynx it is inserted into). I think that's the extent of the purpose of that. Just to make you extra nervous that it will kill your Lynx (which it does not, as Der Luchs graciously risked a Lynx to prove).

From what I gather, the program is trying to earn your "trust" by showing how smart it is (i.e. knowing what kind of Lynx it is inserted into). I think that's the extent of the purpose of that. Just to make you extra nervous that it will kill your Lynx (which it does not, as Der Luchs graciously risked a Lynx to prove).

If the sole purpose of that message was to prove that it could properly identify your Lynx system, then it would have made much more sese for the message to say "I can tell that your console is a LYNX I" or "I can tell that your console is a LYNX II" or something similar. There would have been no need for the message to say to put the cartridge in the other system and then see that it was not telling a lie.

@BenjaminStevens

I guess that it is simply a trick to make you wonder if the other Lynx model would indeed break.

You have a Lynx and nothing happens if the counter reaches zero. So assuming most people will only have one Lynx to try it, the maker of the program tries to make them think they just had the wrong model. This way the mystery survives longer.

BTW, I am assuming rygar made this.

He is obsessed with the Lynx and has basic coding skills. I can't imagine anyone else wasting the time for such an elaborate prank on such a tiny fanbase.

Also the broken English sounds like him, and he told us this program killed his Lynx. ;)

Imo all points to rygar.^^

• Like 1

Despite your comments I continue to say that this program works perfectly.

A message of this topic explains how to make it work...

Stop it, DerLuchs did what he was told to do and nothing happened. If there was something wrong you could just say how to do it right, but so far you have not.

Alright I'll do some testing myself too.

@Rygar is it possible that something about the transfer to the cart broke the code? I know little to nothing about the interactions of hardware and software, but I remember you saying it required something special with the cart.

Well just a thought. If I have any different results with my Lynx, I will post it.

Edited by MrBland

Am I the only one confused here? Unless I'm missing something, I'm seeing a lot of time and effort spent on something with a possibly undesirable outcome. What is the point?