IGNORED

The time has come for Atari 2600 Dragon's Lair!

Godzilla

I'm not sure you could animate at those resolutions, but it could be the basis for a "choose-your-own-adventure" kind of title. A static shot like the one you show, with only one direction on the joystick (or a button press) being the correct response and the others leading to a death screen. This wouldn't be much more difficult to display than a slideshow using the same techinque, just a matter of having the joystick input decide what image to show.

If anyone decides to tackle such a project (or do an original one - not based on a pre-existing title) I'd be glad to help with plotting out the storyline/screen choices and with cleaning and spiffing up the graphics so they look as good as possible. The key issue would be figuring out well in advance how many screen could be included and choosing the best ones to keep.

Just let me know.

Where's Zack?

I must say I find it interesting that a system like the 2600, which has a much larger color pallette than any of its contemporaries (astrocade aside,) has to bascally sacrifice all of its color to manage something resembling a bitmapped image, which things like the intellivision/coleco/nes/sms etc dont have near as much trouble with, but they cant make anything half as colorful or as fast as the 2600, ever.

pretty humourous :-)

Speaking of Dragon's Lair, just this week I got a portable DVD player and the Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair DVD. And, on my port. dvd player, there are no pauses during play! Great fun at the airport, I must say. Other folks there are watching Fast and the Furious or Spider-Man. I'm actually playing Dragon's Lair. Groovy.

Oh yeah, the Game Boy Color version is frickin' awesome considering what you're playing on. Including accurate musical themes and fanfares as well as Dirk's digitized screams.

Dragon's Lair Arcade is maybe the greatest arcade game every in my opinion that is!  Too bad almost all of the ports have been sub-par. :sad:

Get a good computer and install that Dragons Lair via Daphne I sent you a couple months ago! You'll be playing the emulated arcade version of Dragons Lair in all it's goodness! :)

(or have you even tried installing it on the pc you have now?)

• Like 1

Get a good computer and install that Dragons Lair via Daphne I sent you a couple months ago! You'll be playing the emulated arcade version of Dragons Lair in all it's goodness! :)

(or have you even tried installing it on the pc you have now?)

I'm working on clearing off one of my hard drives just for such a thing, my friend. Thanks again!

I must say I find it interesting that a system like the 2600, which has a much larger color pallette than any of its contemporaries (astrocade aside,) has to bascally sacrifice all of its color to manage something resembling a bitmapped image, which things like the intellivision/coleco/nes/sms etc dont have near as much trouble with, but they cant make anything half as colorful or as fast as the 2600, ever.

It's that nasty playfield limitation. Atari can only display 40 pixels across where INTV/CV/NES/SMS can display ~256 pixels across. Atari was designed to display static games like Pong, not bit-mapped stuff like Dragon's Lair.

The 16-bit Amiga version of Dragon's Lair was really good! It managed to recreate the look-and-feel of the arcade game albeit with fewer scenes. It was so popular with Amiga gamers, that the company later produced Space Ace, Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp, and Dragon's Lair 3.

I need to digout the engineering log, but Atari was looking into interfacing the Atari 2600 with a laserdisc player... no I'm serious, here is what they had planned:

Atari 2600 with a cartridge with control code sequences for a particular laserdisc game, for example Dragon's liar.

On the 2nd joystick port was an interface box with an IR output that would be compatible with say a Pioneer PR-8210 laserdisc player.

The 2600 would simply act as a remote control to the laserdisc player, commanding the sequences of the game and allowing the gameplayer to play games like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Firefox and so forth, all you would do is install a different cartridge with the IR control sequence for that particular laserdisc game.

When I find the logs and engineering notes I'll post them.

Curt

• Like 1

That's just the consequence of having no video RAM and doing the whole processing on fly.

• Like 1

Stupid question, but.....

Could a 2600 EASILY (that being the key word) be upgraded to handle more memory. For example, if future games wanted to use the memory in a 2600Plus system, they could use upgraded systems. Maybe an in-line with the cart adaptor that had more memory for just such things.

Could the system utilize more than its original memory if someone wrote to it? Maybe standardize the upgrade so future titles could use it?

I am sure I am beating a dead horse.

Cassidy

I had not thought of it in those terms.  So, with that added memory, is something like Dragons Lair possible?

Are you talking about RAM or ROM? It sounded like you were talking about RAM before, but something like Dragon's Lair would require lots of ROM... and the 2600 has been handling extra ROM ever since Asteroids.

This new multicolor bitmap mode (note the distinction, Godzilla) is not the way to go for Dragon's Lair. It's too small, too flickery, too costly in both storage and cycles. The best (and by best, I mean least horrible) approach would be to take the other pre-FMV versions' (C64, NES, et al) approach-- reimplement a few of the screens into conventional videogame sequences. Like so.