IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

21. Quake - PC

Long time coming on this one.. Never beat it before today. As big of an ID fan as I am, I hadn't owned this one till recently, and while I really enjoyed, I don't think I was missing too much.. I find the Sprite based games to be more fun, although I like that you can jump. Quake 2 improved upon most EVERYTHING in the series up to that point.. I like the weapon variety, and the gameplay tho..

Like I said a lot of fun, and worth playing, but I gotta say, Wolfenstein & Doom are far better games. I think I enjoyed Heretic more than this one also..

22. Halo 3 - Xbox 360

Fantastic! Picked up right were 2 left off. Not a whole lot else can be said about a series like Halo. Most gamers are pretty familiar with it, love it or hate it I suppose.

I loved it. Can't to try out Halo 4 campaign!

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

A immense improvement over its predecessor, a game that I didn't care for at all (I gave it a generous C-). I found the original Uncharted to be, at best, a bog-standard cover shooter, and I questioned whether its platforming elements even qualified as gameplay. Surprisingly, neither of these things are changed in any fundamental way in Uncharted 2, but thanks to vastly improved staging and design, it all works much, much better this time around. It's a case of the same ingredients being prepared to a different and superior recipe. And I must admit, this is the best looking game I've ever played. The art direction is outstanding, and the sense of scale and attention to detail are, at times, astonishing.

Nevertheless, the game manages to squander an enormous amount of potential. For one thing, it's too linear. The player is placed into these enormous set pieces, but given very limited opportunities to explore or interact with them. Second, the game desperately needs real puzzles--activities to stimulate and challenge the player's intuition and analytical abilities. And, finally, Uncharted 2's plot is garbage and the dialogue is absolutely inane--it sounds as if it was written about five minutes before it was recorded. I'll never understand how developers can invest so much obvious effort and talent into graphics and design, but be content with tacking on these lousy plots with b-movie scripts that ultimately end up keeping their games from achieving greatness.

Had the developer's addressed these easily-remedied flaws, Uncharted 2 could have been one of the greatest games ever made. It's still a "good" game. I enjoyed it for what it was. In that context, I think its strengths outweigh its flaws, and I give it a B+.

23. Quake 2 - Xbox 360

Surprised when I opened my copy of Quake 4 a while back and found a bonus disc which contained a full version of Quake 2!

Excellent port! This was my first time completing the game..

Achievements are awarded for completing levels, but no points are awarded. Very pointless to give achievements, other than to track your progress thru the game. Very minor gripe on my part.

24. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Xbox 360

What can I say, I'm on a Quake kick...

This is a game I don't really hear about.. An objective based FPS game. You can play as the Strogg or GDF. Campaign is really straight forward. 4 regions, each with their own set of objectives.. All really simple. Defend this, blow up this, hack into this, etc. Cheap, fun. But not overly exciting.

I couldn't play God of War so far, since my PS2 won't play dual layer games, but ~ a week ago I picked up the God of War Collection from "Essentials" series. And I just finished the first one now.

Quite entertaining I must say, can't wait for the second game :D

• Like 1

Diablo 3 :) I've spent so much time on this game last year, it's not funny. In the end, it was hardcore what kept me going. Once I finished inferno (hardest diff) with multiple chars, I eventually got bored as there was nothing left to do than grinding without goal or purpose left.. Then, I could, finally, let go.

Edited by dgo
  • Like 1

Halo 4 (360)

Halo 4 has all of the trappings of its predecessors, but none of their soul. The scale and dynamism that defines Halo has gone completely missing in this installment. Conversely, Halo 4 is an attenuated, obscenely linear, and thoroughly domesticated experience.

The AI is pitifully poor. Most encounters, particularly those against the Protheans, are simply glorified shooting galleries. Those brilliant moments of tactical improvisation and emergent gameplay that were so common in the previous installments are rarities here.

The plot is a confusing mess. The game offers no exposition whatsoever. Consequently, I never became engrossed in the story. I was completely lost throughout. After finishing the game, I had to look it all up online, on some Halo wiki, where I quickly discovered that, through the process of novelization, the Halo universe and setting has been driven straight off a cliff. It's some of the dumbest, most convoluted science fiction I have ever read. Whats more, in Halo 4, the epic scope that characterized the core conflict of the previous Halos has been traded-in for the hackneyed banality of a Ganandorf-style central villain. If you're going to do that, could you at least give me an epic final boss battle instead of an ending cobbled together from QTE's and dissonant, credulity-straining cutscenes?

Another beloved franchise down the toilet. C-

Edited by Christophero Sly

Finally finished Mass Effect 3. I did not like the ending. Didn't like the fact you had to buy a separate app for hardware I don't have to change the outcome of the ending.

The Extended Cut should be free. And what hardware are you missing? A hard drive?

Regardless, I wouldn't worry to much about missing the extended cut. Bioware just doubled-down on stupid and the additional content only serves to make the ending worse.

The Extended Cut should be free. And what hardware are you missing? A hard drive?

Regardless, I wouldn't worry to much about missing the extended cut. Bioware just doubled-down on stupid and the additional content only serves to make the ending worse.

I have the hard drive. I was under the impression I needed to download that iOS app & play on that a bit to get a certain percentage up.

Diablo 3 :) I've spent so much time on this game last year, it's not funny. In the end, it was hardcore what kept me going. Once I finished inferno (hardest diff) with multiple chars, I eventually got bored as there was nothing left to do than grinding without goal or purpose left.. Then, I could, finally, let go.

I myself am pretty excited for the upcoming PS3 port of this... I have never played a Diablo game, and I know my PC couldn't handle it.. lol! Pretty excited to try it on the console tho!

Edited by doomwaves

Finally finished Mass Effect 3. I did not like the ending. Didn't like the fact you had to buy a separate app for hardware I don't have to change the outcome of the ending.

You can improve the # of ending choices via playing Multiplayer games IIRC, but I got all options through playing the story alone, by gathering *all* races under my command.

25. Code of Princess - Nintendo 3DS

Pretty awesome Beat em up/Action RPG.. Great story & fun characters! Beat the main story with Solange, I am going to try to finish up all the bonus quests and finish the campaign with Ali as well. Not sure I will mess with the other 2 mains tho.. Lots of fun! haven't tried the multiplayer yet tho, will get to that eventually as well!

26. Super Mario Brothers - 3DS

Saw this on the 3DS E-Shop the other day, so I bought it.. It was like $5... Which I think it outrageous.. This game should be free on any Nintendo system from here till the end.. Oh well.. I bit. First time beating this actually... Thank God for restore points.. Saved me A LOT of frustration.. I don't think I could be beat the original , no save version.. LOL! Classic. Perfect game.. Took me about 2 hours.. Probably more like 3 if you count all the death runs...