IGNORED

Microscreen Art Restoration

Third Age

Hi Everyone,

This topic is for restoring old microscreen images that were featured in Antic magazine, but whose original picture files have since been lost.

For each microscreen, I will upload a magazine scan of it, as well as my own custom drawn version of it. Seeing as these will be manual copies by my own hands, the process for each one could take quite a while. For now, I'll just use my PC for drawing each one so that I can use the mouse.

First up, an image done in Paint!, which uses 160x96 and 4 colors. This was the winner of the Antic Color the Cover contest.

City of Lights

Scanned:

post-29256-0-50941900-1357453079.jpg

Restored:

post-29256-0-96337300-1357453233_thumb.gif

Enjoy!

P.S. If anyone wants a 1600x1200 wallpaper version of any restored image, complete with scanlines and phosphor-dot effects, just let me know.

• Like 2

Nifty - were these pics ever on cover disks or something?

That pic would go well with some extra colourization and running thru RastaConverter.

I don't know how many ended up on cover disks, if any. If anybody has any of the original picture files sitting around, and is able to post them online somewhere, that would be great (and make my job a little easier).

I'll let someone else try colourization and RastaConverter on this. If anyone does, please show the results here!

John Brooks was the original creator of City of Lights, just like Scott Berfield is the original creator of our next image. He used his own utility, GTIA Sketchpad, to draw Shuttle Landing.

I posted a similar image before, but I took too many blatant shortcuts with that one. After I got my hands on a better magazine scan of the image, I was able to make a more accurate reproduction.

Rather than post scans of the magazine images, I'll just post links about them. Here is a link to the magazine issue:

http://www.atarimaga....php?issue=v2n9

Here is a link to where the older reproduction is:

http://www.atariage....s/#entry2245721

Here is the more accurate copy of the Scott Berfield image.

Shuttle Landing:

post-29256-0-87998400-1357526302_thumb.gif

And of course, wallpapers done on a per-request basis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for another manually copied art restoration!

This one is from the following Antic magazine entry:

http://www.atarimaga...croscreens.html

I know that David Milligan wrote the article, but I do not know the identity of the man in the image.

David Milligan:

post-29256-0-52683400-1361251225_thumb.gif

After I finished manually recreating the image, I realized the differences in facial widths. Shades of blues are lighter than the image in the above article, as there are other sources of scans that I also used that show lighter colors. Obviously the left and right edges are best guesses, as the magazine scans chopped them off.

This image, along with most of the others, will be 400 x 240 pixels. This allows me to make wallpapers of them that are 1600 x 1200 pixels (400 x 4 and 240 x 5), complete with scanline and phosphor effects, if anyone is interested in having any.

• Like 1