IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Computer Gaming Survey 2013

Gaming Survey Atari 8-bit Computers Only  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play A8 games?

• Frequently/Regularly/Weekly
    • Occasionally/Monthly
    • Rarely/Never
  2. 2. Will you be playing in the *High Score Club* this season?

• Yes/Regularly/Probably
    • Might occasionally join in/could be tempted
    • No (if you'd like to say why that's good too!)
  3. 3. Are you a Cartridge only player?

4. 4. Do you use a Joystick?

• Yes
    • No (if you want help setting one up to work with an emulator please post)
  5. 5. Do you have Paddles?

6. 6. Which games do you prefer?

• A variety of games old and new
    • The old classics only
    • Newer games only
  7. 7. Do you use a NTSC (North America) or PAL (Europe) Atari?

8. 8. Which System do you play on?

• 400/800 48K
    • 800 XL/XE range/Emulation

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

@Tickled_Pink: That's great :thumbsup: I created and ATR with the new NTSC and PAL Dropzones on in the HSC last season (coincidentally the 1st round).

(&everyone) If you only have a few games - when the season starts post a list of what you have (and want to play) on the games list thread and keep an eye on the votes. If you can't download games and use a real Disk Drive I could post out a disk or two of goodies - just like in the old days. :)

NTSC vs PAL I was wondering if many NTSC players don't take part (any longer) as the PAL players ususally win due to the games often being easier/slower. If we have enough NTSC players this season coming I could run two separate tables if that would encourage more players? I'm already planning to award 1pt extra for NTSC players as it stands (usual scoring is 12pts for 1st place)

The last question re which System/RAM would have been better if it said can you run '64K' games like Bounty Bob Strikes Back or not :ponder:

Any comments from former HSCers as to why they dropped out/lost interest (aside from personal matters) ?

Anything from the 'could be tempted crowd' - what about if there was a prize?!

:)

Prizes might not be a great idea unless you insisted on verification. At the moment it's a friendly competition. Prizes bring about blood lust and greed. :twisted:

I'm going to try and avoid using emulators. Don't like gaming on them. When are you planning on getting the next season started up? I'll have to test my hardware. I know one of my drives is kaput and I no longer have an APE or SIO2PC, so for me I'll have to put a list up of games I have access to.

Getting enough players to make both NTSC and PAL leagues would be a good idea. In an ideal world it would be cool to be able to have semi-finals between the top two of each league and a grand final at the end. It would be a bit like the Ryder Cup. :) But again, how do you make that fair to players who only have NTSC machines? Lend a couple of PAL machines maybe?

I dropped out initially because of lack of time, then it seemed pretty pointless re-joining after such a long time.

Also some of the weeks (months) when there were a load of games to play was just too daunting to take on.

I dropped out initially because of lack of time, then it seemed pretty pointless re-joining after such a long time.

Also some of the weeks (months) when there were a load of games to play was just too daunting to take on.

This gave me an idea. Maybe the season should be split in two sessions. We can call it a spring and autumn sessions or something like that. There would be two fresh starts and two winners per year...

I have had various conversations with some previous players that indicated that they stopped playing once we started doing rounds with multiple games/extended play periods. They were much more happy with the two week, single game rounds...

I wont name names, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Personally I don't mind one of those rounds a season, but not all the time :)

• Like 2

agreed, it depends on your TVs ability to cope with an NTSC signal. I use a 1990s Sony trinitron 14" CRT at the moment. It does a great job of NTSC via composite A/V,

most modern TVs will handle secam no problem. My 19" LCD will also handle the funny pal systems from the other side of English channel

So if I purchase an NTSC 800XL (Basic Rev.C) and use a standard PAL PSU I should be fine and games will run at NTSC speeds? - I can sort out another monitor if it doesn't work with the various TV's I have. I notice Mr.Fish has one for sale in the marketplace but not international shipping ;) if anyone UK has one for sale please let me know :)

I hadn't considered this but would a Secam unit run games at NTSC speeds in the UK?

Been meaning to join in one of these for ages. But it comes down to free time, whether I see what's current and whether it's a game I like playing.

Even though I've got a real machine usually setup next to the PC I mainly play game in emulation, makes it easier to do other things at the same time.

Secam machines run same speed as Pal.

• Like 1

The first vote of Season 10 is open to select the first game to be played. The Games List thread is ready for your game suggestions. If you're one of the "might be tempted" and that depends on which games are played then be sure to suggest some too ;)

Please still take the survey if you haven't done so already - even if the HSC is underway - there will be catch-up rounds if you miss the start :)

I wish I could play in the competition, but I can play for fun short periods, because of nerve damage in my hands.

Hi Defender II, sorry to hear that. Sure play when you can and post a score - some of them are more intense than others so best avoided, as you know it's usually the shooters - you may use autofire if that helps (not allowed in the HSC usually). If there are any games you like to play stick them on the games list and use the votes to your advantage too :)

All the best

Jason

Since I am an emulator player...I can set my emulation either way...NTSC or PAL..and you are right PAL is slower. But I usually play NTSC whenever possible...if a game is only PAL then I have to switch to PAL.

It is good to see this much interest this season...hope it stays that way and grows. It is much more fun when there are alot of competitors.

• Like 1

I wish I could play in the competition, but I can play for fun short periods, because of nerve damage in my hands.

Hi Defender II, sorry to hear that. Sure play when you can and post a score - some of them are more intense than others so best avoided, as you know it's usually the shooters - you may use autofire if that helps (not allowed in the HSC usually). If there are any games you like to play stick them on the games list and use the votes to your advantage too :)

All the best

Jason

It seems all of my typing did not hit the original post. It should say...

"I wish I could play in the competition, but I can only play for fun for short periods, because of nerve damage in my hands."

Playing video games or repettetive movements like typing or using a mouse for more than a few minutes causes pain. I have constant numbness and tingling in both hands and my sense of touch is messed up, so I have to hold onto things tighter than normal or I drop them and I smash keys while typing. Anyone else here snap a joystick handle off while playing a video game? Things like that happen when you don't have proper sense to control how much pressure you apply. I want to get an arcade joystick moded for Atari consoles that use 9-pin and also the 5200.

• 2 weeks later...

ATARI 5200 RULEZZZ!!!

I'm sure Zylon would welcome any 5200 players in their HSC too :thumbsup:

Last day to make Round 1 of the 8-bit High Score Club but late scores are ok.

There will be 'Catch-Up and Improve Scores' rounds throughout the season so don't be put off joining in EVERYONE :)